Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Travelling through the US with rifle

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in the Americas

Pages: 1
AussieMike
.300 member

Reged: 01/09/04
Loc: Southern Tablelands, NSW, Aust...
Travelling through the US with rifle
      #21068 - 21/11/04 07:47 PM

I've just discovered that I can't fly through the US to Canada with my rifle - seems that I can't even transit LA on the way to Toronto. I can do this at Heathrow. Whatever has happened to the "land of the free"?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Arctic
.275 member

Reged: 01/04/04
Loc: Arctic Canada
Re: Travelling through the US with rifle [Re: AussieMike]
      #21070 - 21/11/04 08:25 PM

And make sure that your airplane doesn't land in Hawaii for fuel 'cause you'll be in the USA and will be forced to spend a few extra nights!

If anyone knows of any way around this, post it so I can drop some dollars in Australia and New Zealand. Right now, as it stands, only American hunters are free to travel anywhere as the good flights all travel US territory.
~Arctic~

--------------------
"A stranger is a friend we haven't met!"

AussieMike
.300 member

Re: Travelling through the US with rifle [Re: Arctic]
      #21071 - 21/11/04 08:51 PM

I'd like to publicly thank Ann from AspenHills Safaris for finding this out for me. I could easily have booked a hunt and tickets and not found this out 'til I cleared the rifle through Australian customs.

Ann has been most attentive in trying to arrange a black bear hunt taking into account my (hopefully transient) physical problems - I'm on crutches and can't put any weight on one leg so still hunting is out of the question.

Ann is looking into hunts in Idaho for me now - I assume I can take a rifle into the US. Perhaps that's a silly assumption.

mike

Taos
.300 member

Reged: 09/05/04
Loc: Nevada, U.S.A.
      #21077 - 22/11/04 02:15 AM

What about shipping your rifle ahead to your outfitter? I have not flown at all since 9-11 but have heard some bad stories from people trying to fly with guns. Also have heard that it is not a problem. Check with the airlines. If Ann cannot figure it out then you may have a problem.

mickey
.416 member

Reged: 05/01/03
Loc: Pend Oreille Valley, Idaho
Re: Travelling through the US with rifle [Re: Arctic]
      #21086 - 22/11/04 04:17 AM

Artic and Aussie Mike

You can get a permit to transit the US or to possess in the US with a valid State Hunting Licence. I don't know the details but North Dakota seems to be the State of choice of my Canadian friends. Cost most likely.

If you need more info pm me.

--------------------
Lovu Zdar
Mick

A Man of Pleasure, Enterprise, Wit and Spirit Rare Books, Big Game Hunting, English Rifles, Fishing, Explosives, Chauvinism, Insensitivity, Public Drunkenness and Sloth, Champion of Lost and Unpopular Causes.

luv2safari
.400 member

Reged: 09/11/03
Loc: United States
Re: Travelling through the US with rifle [Re: mickey]
      #21090 - 22/11/04 05:21 AM

By and large, the States don't care one way or the other. The Feds are the ones who you need to keep happy.

There are those Commie Nations...Kalifornia and New Yalk that are just plain wierd, however... ...Blue States...real Blue States...

--------------------
Hunt with Class and Classics

DoubleD
.400 member

Reged: 23/11/03
Loc: Retired in Oklahoma
Re: Travelling through the US with rifle [Re: luv2safari]
      #21093 - 22/11/04 06:13 AM

Two federal agencies are involved.

The Department of State has jurisdiction over the exportation and temporary importation of firearms into the U.S. To transit the U.S. with a firearm requires that you temporarily import the firearm while you transit, then export the firearm when you leave. The Department of State Office Defense Trade Controls issues those permits. ODTC

ATF has jurusidiction over permanent importation. ATF regulation use to say persons coming from a foreign country to the US for legitmate hunting and organized sporting events could bring their firearms. The ATF regulation did contradict State department regulation, but was simpler and the accpeted procedure at the border.

After 9-11 ATF changed the regulation to require application and issuance of a permit-ATF6 for non U.S.Residents to bring firemarms into the U.S. for sporting events and Hunting. You can get your questions answered about this form at ATF Form 6

Just quickly scanning the FAQ's Q6 it looks like that you need a State Department temporary importation permit, DSP 61.

If I were still in the field doing enforcement work, that's how I would read the regulations also.

--------------------
DD, Ret.

AspenHill
Sponsor

Reged: 08/01/03
Loc: Vermont, USA
Re: Travelling through the US with rifle [Re: DoubleD]
      #21144 - 23/11/04 01:18 AM

While I have been working on this diligently, it looks extremely poor to get firearms in with a non US citizen. Though not very attractive, outfitters do have firearms they can happily loan.

I know of a hunter who tried bringing guns in from Canada and did the forms thing with the Government. He was denied after MONTHS of advanced planning and paperwork.

This all came about after the 9/11 incident. I do not see an easy solution.

--------------------
~Ann

Everyday spent outdoors is the best day of my life.

Aspen Hill Adventures

Taos
.300 member

Reged: 09/05/04
Loc: Nevada, U.S.A.
Re: Travelling through the US with rifle [Re: AspenHill]
      #21147 - 23/11/04 02:57 AM

Mike,

If this becomes too big a pain in the ass please let me know. If you go to Id. on your hunt I can have one of my rifles waiting when you arrive there. It will not be any outfitters rental rifle either. I know that that you want to use one of yours but if all else fails let me know and I will make the arrangements.

AussieMike
.300 member

Re: Travelling through the US with rifle [Re: Taos]
      #21230 - 24/11/04 01:42 AM

Taos,

Thank you for the very kind offer. I'm really torn about this hunt. A lot of the fun for me is choosing the rifle, developing the load and practicing. Also, the memories afterwards - when I get out my 470 I always think of my one Cape Buff hunt for example. But, I've always wanted a bear hunt so I'll just think about it and probably go with the outfitters rifle in New Brunswick.

Thanks again,

mike

atkinson6
.375 member

Reged: 26/01/04
Loc: Idaho
      #22806 - 29/12/04 11:38 AM

Mike,
If you purchase a valid hunting license then you can fly to Idaho and hunt...I have clients coming from other countries all the time and then some bring rifles to Dallas SCI for show purposes..They buy a Texas hunting license...

If not I live in Idaho and you can use one of my rifles,if you lose it, we'll make Annie pay for it!! but I suspect any legitamate outfitter has a number of rifles available for clients..but like you I like using my own...At any rate Ann will get you fixed up right.

500grains
.416 member

Reged: 16/02/04
Loc: Salt Lake City, Utah USA
      #23208 - 03/01/05 04:23 AM

Mike, if you are flying through Salt Lake City to Idaho, I will loan you a gun and ammo. But I am a bit short of Weatherbys..... I wouldn't trust a loaner gun from Ray because it is probably some old vintage H&H made in 1902 or such.

luv2safari
.400 member

Reged: 09/11/03
Loc: United States
Re: Travelling through the US with rifle [Re: 500grains]
      #23252 - 03/01/05 01:46 PM

BEWARE!!

All of Ray's guns are dangerous. He bought them all new, and now they are obsolete and dangerous with smokeless powder loads.

--------------------
Hunt with Class and Classics

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 19 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1735

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com