Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Mauser Mod "African" cal. 6,5x55

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mauser Forum Photos & Archive

Pages: 1
Igorrock
.400 member

Reged: 01/03/07
Loc: Finland
Mauser Mod "African" cal. 6,5x55
      #210087 - 04/06/12 11:54 PM

In another topic I told that I just bought nice old m98 Mauser "African" Sporter. It is really matching numbers, the last two digits of serial numbers can found very many places. The BU proof marks and caliber markings (land, groove and rate of twist) are underside of the barrel, just fore the action. It seems that 6,5x55 is the original caliber. According to Jon Speed book, the serial number tells that this rifle was made in 1914, three first digits are 814xx.
Bluing is allmost perfect, only some small detritions. And one quite deep scratch in wood.
One interesting detail is on the upperside of the bolts arm. There is a small and cute arch cut just there where the arm reach the scope when bolt is open. It looks like it was done when mounting the scope. Rifle comes scoped with 4x Busch-Rathenow Visar. Here is some pictures without a scope but I will ad some more later....

First picture from "For Sale" -ad:

And here is some fotos of scope, itīs tube is quite thin, only 22 mm.

Edited by CptCurl (12/06/12 10:24 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Bokmal
.275 member

Reged: 10/02/09
Loc: SW Finland
Re: Mauser Mod "African" cal. 6,5x55 [Re: Igorrock]
      #210090 - 05/06/12 12:33 AM

I still think you should spend more time at your workbench and less time on the computer. That way the rest of us Finns would have a fair chance of finding some of these gems before you do... What, me jealous?

It's a damn fine catch!

--------------------
Born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world is mad...

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #210106 - 05/06/12 02:40 AM

Different.

I have a M96 6.5x55, not uncommon at all of course, and was wondering how to restock it one day.

Perhaps something unusual like this?

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

lancaster
.470 member

Reged: 06/05/08
Loc: There's a lighthouse in the mi...
Re: Mauser Mod "African" cal. 6,5x55 [Re: NitroX]
      #210129 - 05/06/12 01:30 PM

good rifle igorrock but you see the barrel is just to long to carry it comfortabel. please take a hacksaw or a disk grinder(better!)and cut the barrel back to 60cm max.
50 cm would be optimal imho!
the wooden gunstock is hopeless outdated! please order one of this synthetic gunstocks:
http://www.ramlinestocks.com/ramlinestocks.html
I believe the realtree optic will serve you best on the long run.
actually its very simple to remove the claw mount base with a blow torch or you take the disc grinder again(better).drilled and tapped the receiver for a weaver mount is simple and quick with a common hand drill. I can recommand this method!
think you are not wonder to hear that bluing is not up to date anymore. the use of camo paint is very, very simple and you will have realy more fun with your new acquisition.

--------------------
Norwegian hunter misses moose, shoots man on toilet
bringing civilisation to the barbarians

Edited by lancaster (05/06/12 01:52 PM)

Igorrock
.400 member

Re: Mauser Mod "African" cal. 6,5x55 [Re: lancaster]
      #210138 - 05/06/12 03:45 PM

Quote:

think you are not wonder to hear that bluing is not up to date anymore. the use of camo paint is very, very simple and you will have realy more fun with your new acquisition.

I see...:D

--------------------
http://promaakari.wordpress.com/

Rule303
.416 member

Reged: 05/07/09
Loc: Woodford Qld
      #210142 - 05/06/12 03:55 PM

Igorrock that is a good find. I like the grain in the stock and I like the look of the military style stock with wood on top of the barrel.

Igorrock
.400 member

Re: Mauser Mod "African" cal. 6,5x55 [Re: Rule303]
      #210146 - 05/06/12 04:43 PM

I just add some more fotos.

--------------------

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #210150 - 05/06/12 05:23 PM

Gentlemen,

Tell me is that stock a good piece of walnut re-modelled from a military stock, or a new stock cut on somewhat military lines?

Thanks.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

dons
.333 member

Reged: 18/08/07
Loc: Essex
      #210174 - 05/06/12 09:32 PM

This stock style was what Mauser thought was appropriate for use in Africa back in the day. Have no idea how they arrived at that decision but it is a factory original stock from 1914. This model could be purchased with or without the upper handguard

Igorrock
.400 member

Re: Mauser Mod "African" cal. 6,5x55 [Re: dons]
      #210178 - 05/06/12 10:30 PM

This action model seems to be designed for the stock with the upper part of hand guard. In the front of actions ring is a thin "eave" whose under the thinned back end of the upper hand guard just fits. Same like eg. turk mauser actions have.

Like in this picture attached (this is a K.KALE Turk Mauser)

--------------------

Edited by CptCurl (12/06/12 10:25 PM)

FrankFarmer
.300 member

Reged: 06/08/06
Loc: Florida USA.
      #210309 - 07/06/12 06:25 AM

A very rare rifle and calibre. Similar rifle on Page 161 of Jon Speed's Original Oberndorf Sporting Rifles. Luck is with you!

LongIsland
.224 member

Reged: 09/02/09
Loc: New York, U.S.A.
Re: Mauser Mod "African" cal. 6,5x55 [Re: FrankFarmer]
      #210322 - 07/06/12 09:12 AM

There is more information in Jon Speeds The Mauser Archive about the Type L. It had two styles ,with or without handguard. The stock with the handguard was slightly longer than the 3/4 length stock of the style w/o the handguard. They were available in 16 calibers and even came in the short K action. That would be something to see, a cute short action with a 700mm bbl. The "Special African Model" may have been coined by British Mauser distributor Paul Gutheinz, who first used it in his 1912 catalog.Gutheinz was a nephew of Paul Mauser by marriage.
Bob

Igorrock
.400 member

Re: Mauser Mod "African" cal. 6,5x55 [Re: LongIsland]
      #210334 - 07/06/12 01:11 PM

Iīm quite sure this particular rifle was made to special order. In those days Caliber 6,5x55 was quite unusual in Mauser factory`s production rance, except formerly made m94 and m96 Military rifles for Swedish army.

The barrel in my rifle is indeed 70 cm long.

--------------------

mehulkamdar
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/04
Loc: State of Ill-Annoy USA.
      #210496 - 09/06/12 11:32 AM

Wow, Igorrock! Superb rifle and fantasstic foresight and luck! Congratulations!

Thank you for the many pictures and hope more treasures find their way into your gunsafe!

Good hunting!

--------------------
The Ark was made by amateurs. Experts built the Titanic.

Mehul Kamdar

Igorrock
.400 member

Re: Mauser Mod "African" cal. 6,5x55 [Re: mehulkamdar]
      #248779 - 10/06/14 10:24 PM

This rifle is now sold and on itīs way to California. Letīs hope that the new owner will like it as much as I did.

--------------------

Edited by CptCurl (01/07/14 09:54 PM)

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
      #248784 - 10/06/14 10:53 PM

Quote:

Different.

I have a M96 6.5x55, not uncommon at all of course, and was wondering how to restock it one day.

Perhaps something unusual like this?

Sure looks good to me too.

I do like the modified forend and slimming where necessary, turning this M96 into a sporter but retaining it's original military styling. It is elegant, without instantly appearing to be a sporterized military rifle.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

xausa
.400 member

Reged: 07/03/07
Loc: Tennessee, USA
Re: Mauser Mod "African" cal. 6,5x55 [Re: lancaster]
      #248787 - 11/06/14 01:25 AM

Quote:

good rifle igorrock but you see the barrel is just to long to carry it comfortabel. please take a hacksaw or a disk grinder(better!)and cut the barrel back to 60cm max.
Actually its very simple to remove the claw mount base with a blow torch or you take the disc grinder again(better).drilled and tapped the receiver for a weaver mount is simple and quick with a common hand drill. I can recommand this method!

What was done to the 9X57 "African" rifle which came in my store back in the 1980's was not too different from what you describe. The barrel was shortened to 550mm and the stock converted to something resembling a Type M stock. The bolt handle was altered and the action fitted with a Lyman Alaskan scope with no internal adjustments in a Buehler Micro-Dial mount, making a very sleek, compact package. The owner still has it and still hunts with it. Maybe I can prevail on him to furnish a photo.

Deutsche_Vortrekker
.333 member

Reged: 27/04/08
Loc: From the Kalahari to the USA
      #248788 - 11/06/14 02:01 AM

Quote:

This rifle is now sold and on itīs way to California. Letīs hope that the new owner will like it as much as I did.

A beautiful rifle ,I don't think I could have parted with it .Igorrock , is it difficult to buy a rifle from Finland as an American and import it to the USA ??

Edited by CptCurl (01/07/14 09:54 PM)

Igorrock
.400 member

Re: Mauser Mod "African" cal. 6,5x55 [Re: Deutsche_Vortrekker]
      #248789 - 11/06/14 02:30 AM

Quote:

is it difficult to buy a rifle from Finland as an American and import it to the USA ??

First you should find company who will import the rifle to you. Then you together should apply for the importing licence. After that the finnish seller shoulf apply the exporting licence.

The most difficult thing for me was to find any transport company who accept to carry my rifle overseas. At last I used Finnair Cargo. It seems to be good but expensive.

--------------------

Deutsche_Vortrekker
.333 member

Reged: 27/04/08
Loc: From the Kalahari to the USA
      #248824 - 12/06/14 12:01 AM

As you know I love Finnish made rifles and would love to import a few of these here. I would look into your information ;thank you Igorrock .Would most Finnish gun dealers go through the time and trouble to export a rifle as you have ? I will look into USA gun importers ; not too many of those around

Igorrock
.400 member

Re: Mauser Mod "African" cal. 6,5x55 [Re: Deutsche_Vortrekker]
      #248825 - 12/06/14 01:23 AM

PM send

--------------------

xausa
.400 member

Re: Mauser Mod "African" cal. 6,5x55 [Re: xausa]
      #248826 - 12/06/14 01:43 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Actually its very simple to remove the claw mount base with a blow torch or you take the disc grinder again(better).drilled and tapped the receiver for a weaver mount is simple and quick with a common hand drill. I can recommand this method!

What was done to the 9X57 "African" rifle which came in my store back in the 1980's was not too different from what you describe. The barrel was shortened to 550mm and the stock converted to something resembling a Type M stock. The bolt handle was altered and the action fitted with a Lyman Alaskan scope with no internal adjustments in a Buehler Micro-Dial mount, making a very sleek, compact package. The owner still has it and still hunts with it. Maybe I can prevail on him to furnish a photo.

I did prevail on him for photos and here they are:

Modifications include replacing the bottom metal with double set trigger with an Argentine Mauser hinged floorplate unit and a Timney trigger, Buehler safety, D&T for receiver sight, filling the void left by removing the shotgun type trigger guard with a German silver engraved plate, checkering and adding a yoke type front sling swivel.

Edited by CptCurl (01/07/14 09:56 PM)

Igorrock
.400 member

#248832 - 12/06/14 02:26 AM

Now there is something strange with that rifle. All "African" -type factory made Mausers, even the older ones like my rifle is, do not have any shotgun type trigger guard. These older ones have solid trigger guard magazine with bottom lever and the later ones Mauser Argentine -type trigger bow with magazine.
I donīt know if the owner has modified the stocks butt end but in my eyes it doesnīt look like it should be if itīs outfit is the original one.

--------------------

xausa
.400 member

#248838 - 12/06/14 06:43 AM

I agree, the Schweinsruecken hump on the stock looks out of place and the shotgun style trigger guard as well, but Mauser was pretty accommodating in those days and there's no telling what they would do if the customer was willing to pay. I have to admit, however, that the finished rifle came out better than I remembered. The serial number of 40486 is also somewhat of a mystery.

Igorrock
.400 member

#248841 - 12/06/14 06:58 AM

Quote:

The serial number of 40486 is also somewhat of a mystery.

If this is Mauser factory serial number the year of proofing is 1911. But some german gunsmiths used to make very similar rifles for their clients as Mauser "African" is.

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 8 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 15242

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com