Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Double Rifle Questions

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1
DPhillips
.375 member

Reged: 09/10/03
Loc: Alaska
Double Rifle Questions
      #20909 - 15/11/04 10:33 AM

I found this on another forum, thought one of you fine fellows might be able to help this guy out.
http://www.shootersforum.com/showthread.htm?t=16094
In reply to:

hello all. i recently bought a fine double rifle. please help me identify it.

the barrels are unmarked except under the forend. there it says "Bemesu" in a florid script on the bottom of the barrels just forward of the breech.

when you break the action open, you can see that the receiver is also marked with that name. also the serial number 54XX appears near Bemesu in both places.

conceivably it could be Remesu, Bemesee or Remesee, but i think not.

to the right of the Bemesu name under the barrels, it says "8H" or "SH" again in florid script.

the following marks are all on the undersides of both barrels just forward of the breech, the same marks on the right barrel and again on the left, except as noted:

an outline of a crown over a capital N. the crown is topped by a small cross. inside the crown are what look like two capital I's next to each other : II but they are at a slight angle to each other so that their tops form a slightly peaked roof. it almost looks like a symbol for a house inside the crown.

to the right of the crown-N, the letters "St. m. G." and directly below the St m G it says "18 gr" which i assume means 18 gram bullet, about 276 grains.

nearby it says "9 mm" and immediately below that it says 75

on the left barrel only, below below the 9 mm 75 it says "10/24" so i assume it was made in october of 1924

immediately below the 10/24 is a strange symbol that looks like the greek letter "pi" with a small circle on top of it. it could be a stylized human form; it looks sort of like this:
O
--------
--------
| | | |
| | | |

below that, there are a series of three more proof marks, each a crown-with-cross over a capital letter: one is crown-U, the 2nd is crown-E, the 3rd is crown-G

the receiver has the same crown-U.

i just had a gunsmith slug the barrel and make a chamber casting. i'm going to mike it tomorrow (left my calipers at work, oops) but i am pretty sure it is 9.3x74R, and that is what it was advertised as when i bought it.

the 9 mm proof mark is bore diameter (versus 9.3 is groove), i would assume. (my boss says "ASSUME" is a bad word which stands for "make an *** out of U and ME", heh, heh, heh.)

i can not explain the 75 instead of 74 unless the proof house waas stating that the chamber was 1 mm longer than the brass case length...?

the only other mark on the rifle is a capital S on the underside of the rib that joins the barrel; the S is just forward of the forend hanger.

do any of you experts recognize the proof marks? the name Bemesu? is it austrian, german or maybe even swiss or dutch? perhaps a ferlach rifle...?

this is a magnificent old rifle, well made, extensively engraved, and fitted with claw mounts and an old zeiss scope. i sure would appreciate any help you gents can give me.

one last thing: it is a clamshell action, there are curved wings on each side of the breech so that when the breech ends of the barrels lock down against the the receiver, their is a steel shell along the left side of the left barrel and along the right side of the right barrel. these extend alongside the barrels for over an inch forward of the breechfaces, and extend halfway up the side of the barrels. this gives tremendous lateral strength ot the breech mechanism and will not allow the barrels to wiggle sideways even a tiny little bit. unusual design.

thanks again, guys

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
500Nitro
.450 member

Reged: 06/01/03
Loc: Victoria, Australia
Re: Double Rifle Questions [Re: DPhillips]
      #20952 - 17/11/04 06:36 AM

DPhillips,

All of the answers to the double rifle in question are
in any book of Proof Laws that include Germany's proof laws

The gun was made in Germany and all the proof marks add up.

It's just a bit long winded to go through them all.

500 Nitro

Tom_Bigbore
.224 member

Reged: 16/01/04
Loc: Germany
Re: Double Rifle Questions [Re: DPhillips]
      #20973 - 18/11/04 02:09 AM

DPhillips,
you can check your proof marks on this page

http://www.singoldschuetzen.de/?site=Allgemein&content=Waffen&allgcontent=Begriff&allgsite=Beschuss

if you want me to translate let me know.

I couldīnt find anything regarding "Bemese" or similar.
br Tom

DPhillips
.375 member

Reged: 09/10/03
Loc: Alaska
Re: Double Rifle Questions [Re: Tom_Bigbore]
      #20975 - 18/11/04 04:35 AM

Thanks to both of you. I appreciate it. I'll provide the information for the fellow who posted the question in the other forum.

Thanks.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 99 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4984

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com