Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: New .500NE double - what ammo to regulate with?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
500Nitro
.450 member

Reged: 06/01/03
Loc: Victoria, Australia
Re: New .500NE double - what ammo to regulate with? [Re: Maximus]
      #210062 - 04/06/12 05:30 PM

Maximus

I couldn't find the "Slings on Doubles" thread, however
this is my view.

Sling studs fitted but carry the sling in your pack or bumbag.
At least you have the option if ever you need to use a sling.

Also, having a sling with you, if you ever get into a dicey situation where you have to carry someone, being able to sling the rifle makes a hell of a difference.

And if all else fails, slings always makes good tourniquets !!!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Maximus
.275 member

Reged: 15/05/12
Loc: Switzerland
Re: New .500NE double - what ammo to regulate with? [Re: 500Nitro]
      #210063 - 04/06/12 06:03 PM

Ah sorry 500Nitro. The "Slings on doubles" thread is on AR.

Just found out Federal make 3 loads for the .500NE - Swift A-Frame, Barnes TSX and Barnes Banded Solid. Even more interesting!

--------------------
SCI Helvetia Chapter
Find us on Facebook

DvK
.224 member

Reged: 06/10/08
Loc: Denmark
      #210102 - 05/06/12 01:52 AM

@Bill - which one came first the hen or the egg? You can build your load for your gun, or you can (within limits of standard pressure etc.) build you gun for you load. There isn't any differencen in having your new double regulated over you own ammunition - if the ammo is out of the box the has the stamp Norma, Hornady, Federal or Handmade of Maximus have absolutly no difference for the gunmaker!

@Maximus - personatly I wouldn't care for making exotic ammunition for a 500 NE. The cartdriges mades is repurtation from "woodleigh" like bullets. If I had the oppotunity to have at double buildt I would have it regulated with Kynoch. I could allways then use my sparetime - or long winther evenings - to dublicate the regulation load by handloading. But since you would like some more modern bullets for your gun, I still would make the ammunition that the gun should be regulated with myself.

Bill_Cooley
.300 member

Reged: 14/12/06
Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
      #210237 - 06/06/12 12:11 PM

MAXIMUS,
I would get the sling eyes installed. There are many times when that sling can be your friend. Much easier to do it now than add them latter.
I understand your dilemma with the ammo. I really don’t think the Hornady brass will make that big of a difference. Just a follow up on what I said before. If you go with Norma you will want to by some of the same lot as it was regulated with. Just by a little extra and go shoot some practice. Now you have some nice nickel once fired brass.
You may find the Federal will shoot to the same point of aim. You can allwas by the bullets to load your self.
Bill

@D93
You are absolutely right H&H can use what ever load the customer may wish. I think the use of a non “factory” load would make the rifle much harder to sell. One other consideration would be what happens when your rifle shows up but no ammo? Will it shoot factory loads to the same point of aim?
Until you shoot a load in a given rifle you don’t know what the velocity is going to be. This is why you must have a good chronograph to duplicate that load. The loads in the reloding books are just good guesses. There are to maney vareations in powder and rifles to garentee a given velosity for a listed load.
Bill

Maximus
.275 member

Reged: 15/05/12
Loc: Switzerland
Re: New .500NE double - what ammo to regulate with? [Re: Bill_Cooley]
      #210377 - 08/06/12 01:17 AM

I have decided to go with Norma PH ammo to regulate with. The case for it is too compelling - H&H strongly recommend it, as does one of its customers here, Mike Bailey. It's widely available plus the soft point Woodleigh is an excellent bullet. Not quite as confident about the solid (would prefer a flat nose) but there's time to look at alternatives.

Thanks to all for the advice

--------------------
SCI Helvetia Chapter
Find us on Facebook

mauserand9mm
.400 member

Reged: 03/09/09
Loc: Queensland, Australia
      #210428 - 08/06/12 10:41 AM

In my Merkel, both the 570gn soft point and 570gn FMJ Woodleighs shoot the same, and regulate the same.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 86 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 14615

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com