Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: new archer

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Bowhunting + Bows, Spears & Knives

Pages: 1
Mike_Bailey
.400 member

Reged: 26/02/07
Loc: GB
new archer
      #209599 - 31/05/12 02:30 AM

I know a few of you bow hunt and shoot here so I am posting now to get some help/input on what to buy, as I did 5 years ago before buying a double. I have shot a longbow about 3 times in my life and a crossbow when I was about 10 years old. For various reasons my local trap range has shut and wonīt re-open for 2 years at least, but I can bow shoot at a near facility which will keep me occupied in the summer and I fancy learning something new. I am right handed but have a very strong left master eye (pain when shotgunning) so although I do everything right handed I shoot a catapult and a bow left handed ??. I have been trawlling the internet and come up with the following items that I have put on a wish list on Bass Pro. Can any of you bow hunter chaps comment on suitability/quality etc and also what arrows I should order to start practice with. I donīt need broadheads at the start best and thanks, Mike, see link

https://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/store...restItemDisplay

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
aromakr
.375 member

Reged: 20/04/11
Loc: Hamilton, Montana
Re: new archer [Re: Mike_Bailey]
      #209610 - 31/05/12 05:15 AM

Mike:
Since your looking at bass pro, that means your willing to import from the US. There are a lot of starter bows on the market that are reasonably priced, however I would suggest you go to company's that specalize in Archery equipment. That way you will get advise from people with some experience and are themselfs archers. Try 3Riversarchery.com or customkingarchery I manufacture wooden arrows, whisperingwindarrows.com , however just starting you should probably start with aluminum or carbon shafting. Would be more than happy to help you get started, you can email me at whisperarro@msn.com good luck. I've been involved in archery over 60 years and made arrows 50+ 20 years professionally
Bob

Edited by aromakr (31/05/12 05:17 AM)

Ben
.400 member

Reged: 22/08/08
Loc: Northern Territory, Australia
Re: new archer [Re: aromakr]
      #209621 - 31/05/12 06:12 AM

Hi Mike,

For some reason I cannot see the wishlist. But I agree with Bob (who made my first batch of wooden arrows before I learned to make my own): 3RiversArchery and Kustom King Archery are just the best, and especially when it comes to serving those of us outside the USA.

Yes, to begin with, it might be easiest and most sensible to shoot aluminiums or carbons. That said, if you can find some good wooden arrows, they will be fine, too. I have used all three materials, but use woods mainly, these days, although some carbons have just snuck back into my quiver.

Now, it might be presumptuous of me, but I assume you're wanting to shoot a recurve or a longbow? I have a range of both, and have had quite a few good ones that I sold to make way for other bows and rifles. So, if you would like input on any particular makes, I have a reasonable range of experience with traditional bows.

People, perhaps very rightly, spend a lot of time discussing / arguing about which bow is best or easiest or nicest to shoot. I am of the opinion, having shot and hunted with many different traditional bows (being something of a bowaholic), that it is rare to meet a bow I don't like (within certain design parameters like length of bow compared to draw length). In fact, I believe that one of the most important things is your own personal aesthetic tastes - you have to like your bow! And that is something that does differ from one person to another.

Do you know what your draw length is? If not, let me know and I can give you some direction for getting a rough idea. Also, do you have any idea of what draw weight you'd like to shoot? Feel free to shoot any questions over to me, and I'll do my best to answer them. I really enjoy helping people into the wonderful world of traditional (or other - but I don't know much about compounds) archery or bowhunting.

Cheers,

Ben

Mike_Bailey
.400 member

Reged: 26/02/07
Loc: GB
Re: new archer [Re: Ben]
      #209670 - 31/05/12 06:58 PM

OK Ben, I am looking at a Bear Archery Carnage Compound bow (what a name !) 28"-30", 60-70lb pull, skeleton cam, 80% letoff, 1/2" draw length adjustments, you can look up the bow on the web Iīm sure, an Axcel Armortech Vision HD 7 pin bow sight which is supposedly ambidextrous, I am assuming I can fit it myself ?? and some sort of Scott archery sabretooth release (trigger I think ?). Aromakr, thanks for those sites too. No idea what my draw length is ? Do you have a tel no. I can call you on Ben, I guess you are 7 hours ahead of me, cheers, Mike

Ben
.400 member

Reged: 22/08/08
Loc: Northern Territory, Australia
Re: new archer [Re: Mike_Bailey]
      #209682 - 31/05/12 08:08 PM

G'day Mike,

I don't know much about compounds, although my first bow was an old Hoyt compound (I killed a brumby and a donkey with that ancient bow).

Draw length is a little bit tricky to nail down exactly without a bow, but I think we can get you close: One old method is to place an arrow (or other straight stick) in that hollow at the base of your neck, and hold your arms straight out in front of you, pointing with each index finger and making each index finger tip touch, supporting the other end of the arrow (or stick) on the two finger tips. Your arms should be straight, forming a triangle in front of you. I hope this makes sense. Now, your theoretical draw length, with a traditional bow, would be the distance along that shaft from your neck to your finger tips. However, with a compound bow draw length is usually longer, at least an inch, possibly up to two (now, I'm not an expert with compound bows, but I think this is roughly right). So that doesn't give you an exact length, but one that you could take a good stab with. The best thing would be to try somebody else's bow, someone about the same size as you. Is there a club nearby? Another consideration with draw length: Sure, you can worry about getting it exactly and precisely right as time goes-on - and although I don't know how to do it I believe you can buy a bow press and make the adjustments yourself - but you will find that you can still get a good start with a bow that may be an inch or so out either way. I know that I could happily, as a beginner, shoot my friend's compound bows even though their draw lengths were longer or shorter than mine. So, in summary, if you can't find anyone who really knows how to set you up, you could use my method and be off to a very good start. Another idea would be to call Lancaster Archery, and I bet they could offer very good advice over the phone. They deal mostly with compound bows, perhaps one of the biggest, if not the biggest, online modern archery / bowhunting shop around - good service, too.

Yep, sights are easy enough to install, at least the front sights are. The rear peep is something I have never installed personally, having been lucky enough to have an archery shop set that up for me on my one and only old compound bow. But I don't think it would be too hard. I'd say you'd get the answer from Google if you didn't have somebody nearby to help.

And, with a modern compound, carbon arrows are the best bet, not wooden one. Sorry, Bob and I naturally think of bits of wood when it comes to bows!

I hope this helps, although I sure am not an expert. Now, Mick (.264?) on this forum certainly is.

I'll PM my number through.

Cheers,

Ben

SharpsNitro
.375 member

Reged: 12/08/08
Loc: Arizona, USA
Re: new archer [Re: Ben]
      #209700 - 01/06/12 01:35 AM

Mike,

I would recommend looking at the Diamond bow packages over the Bear, they are quieter and, from memory, seemed to be smoother. Last fall I made a last minute purchase on a new bow the day before elk season because the one I originally bought back in the spring had too hard of a cam for my shoulder. I went to Cabelas and shot a number of bows including Bears, Diamond, Martin and Quest. The Bear I shot was the Mauler if I recall correctly. In my opinion, the best were the Diamonds (Fugitive?) and the Quest, they were smoother on both the draw and shot and quieter than the others. That said, I went home with a Quest Primal and have been very happy with it.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 4 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 7682

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com