Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: J White Gunsmithing - Cigars for all - continued.

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)
Mauser416
.300 member

Reged: 20/06/07
Loc: Corpus Christi, Texas
J White Gunsmithing - Cigars for all - continued.
      #209487 - 30/05/12 08:48 AM

After a major headache and hassle with FedEx I finally received my 45-120 conversion DR from 12 ga. by J White Gunsmithing. Four years plus and 4000 USD later... well, let me just say if I wasn't a guy I would cry and am still thinking about it despite the fact that I am a guy.

Please learn from my mistake. It took me several years to save this money and I had to wait over four years to receive this.

Sorry for the multiple links. This is my second photo post and needless to say my head is not at its clearest at the moment.

Edited by CptCurl (30/05/12 12:10 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: J White Gunsmithing - Gigars for all - continued. [Re: Mauser416]
      #209489 - 30/05/12 09:02 AM

I am so-sad that THIS happened to you. $4,000??????????????????????????????????? Oh My God! What a terrible job they did!

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

casper50
.400 member

Reged: 18/10/07
Loc: Alaska
      #209490 - 30/05/12 09:04 AM

Mauser416 I'm really sorry. "BUBBA" is the word that comes to mind right off the bat with the first photo. I'd think hard about getting a lawyer. My condolences.

Mauser416
.300 member

Re: J White Gunsmithing - Gigars for all - continued. [Re: casper50]
      #209492 - 30/05/12 09:21 AM

Right now I have a tall Mojito. Since I am in Texas and he is in Maine a lawyer will be $10,000 up front. Kinda of a Pyrrhic victory to win the case only to find out that he cannot refund my money and recoup legal expenses.

Call me a kind-hearted moron.

--------------------
There is nothing worse in this world than an enslaved man who naively believes himself free, except, perhaps, trying to explain to that same man his predicament.

Mauser416
.300 member

#209493 - 30/05/12 10:25 AM

If you have had past dealings with Jim that have proven unsatisfactory or if you have been left hanging for the past few years with no means to contact him, phone calls not returned, emails not answered please contact the Maine Attorney General - Customer Mediation service at 207-626-8849 or toll-free at 1-800-436-2131

--------------------
There is nothing worse in this world than an enslaved man who naively believes himself free, except, perhaps, trying to explain to that same man his predicament.

Mauser416
.300 member

#209494 - 30/05/12 10:39 AM

Guys I am wrong it is not $4000 that I am out. I have the original 12 ga. barrels and mono-block in tact so I am just out $3000 for his work, fours plus years of waiting and too many missed "other opportunities". I wish I had the pleasure of dealing with the Sabatti issues about now. I did get a nice plastic, Contico gun case when it was returned to me.

--------------------

Huvius
.416 member

Reged: 04/11/07
Loc: Colorado
      #209501 - 30/05/12 11:00 AM

I suggest we all leave a nice message on this guy's website guestbook and on his assfacebook wall if he has one.
That, and posting the pictures of his work on every forum available as an advisory against hiring him.
Then go to Maine and shove those barrels right up his ass...sideways...

--------------------
He who lives in the past is doomed to enjoy it.

AFRO408
.333 member

Reged: 21/01/09
Loc: Arding NSW
      #209502 - 30/05/12 11:09 AM

Man. My condolences. That's just criminal.
I know Boilermakers who could do a better job.
Shooting, the perpetrator of this mess, with both barrels, may give satisfaction.

--------------------
Flinch ? Wot flinch ? Gunsmithing is my PASSION.

prairie_ghost
.300 member

Reged: 19/07/08
Loc: casper, wy
Re: J White Gunsmithing - Gigars for all - continued. [Re: AFRO408]
      #209505 - 30/05/12 11:35 AM

I sent a message via email. Suggest everyone else do the same and link this site to other posts. Mauser416 deserves a full refund- let J Smith keep the gun to show prospective customers and Reel 'em in boy!!

MaxGera
.275 member

Reged: 15/02/12
Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
Re: J White Gunsmithing - Gigars for all - continued. [Re: prairie_ghost]
      #209507 - 30/05/12 11:48 AM

This is a joke... Right?

I'll make you a free wall plaque... Whose head you put on it, is up to you!

Edited by MaxGera (30/05/12 11:56 AM)

CptCurlAdministrator
.450 member

Reged: 01/05/04
Loc: Fincastle, Botetourt County, V...
Re: J White Gunsmithing - Gigars for all - continued. [Re: MaxGera]
      #209510 - 30/05/12 12:09 PM

That is a disgrace. I wouldn't trust those barrels to be safe to shoot.

J. White Gunsmithing - Call that gunsmithing???

Curl

--------------------
RoscoeStephenson.com

YOUR DOUBLE RIFLE IS YOUR BEST FRIEND.

MaxGera
.275 member

Re: J White Gunsmithing - Gigars for all - continued. [Re: CptCurl]
      #209512 - 30/05/12 12:13 PM

I just sent them an email, this butcher should not be allowed to work on a lawn sprinkler.

--------------------
To get things done, stop talking and start doing!

Mauser416
.300 member

Re: J White Gunsmithing - Gigars for all - continued. [Re: MaxGera]
      #209513 - 30/05/12 12:13 PM

MaxGera,

I wish today was 1 April and this was a prank. Unfortunately it is not, This is the culmination of several years of grief and hassle.

--------------------

500Nitro
.450 member

Reged: 06/01/03
Loc: Victoria, Australia
      #209514 - 30/05/12 12:25 PM

Sorry to see that. It is disgusting.

eagle27
.400 member

Reged: 24/01/09
Loc: Nelson, New Zealand
Re: J White Gunsmithing - Gigars for all - continued. [Re: 500Nitro]
      #209520 - 30/05/12 04:21 PM

Casper50 you are doing grave disservice to the meaning of BUBBA when using it to describe this conversion. I still think Mauser416 is having us on. This just has to be someone playing a joke.

That said I will take you at your word Mauser416 that this is for real but, excusing my language, it can only be described as a complete and utter f..k up. I have never ever seen any engineering work of any kind like this let alone gunsmithing.

I don't know that I would raise a tear or whether I would just sooner laugh myself into hysterics in seeing this. Sorry Mauser416 I do honestly feel for your obvious devastation.

Mike_Bailey
.400 member

Reged: 26/02/07
Loc: GB
Re: J White Gunsmithing - Gigars for all - continued. [Re: eagle27]
      #209522 - 30/05/12 04:57 PM

Holy Christ Mauser416, is there not a system in the US where you can hire a lawyer on a no win, no pay basis, at least you would get your $4000 back, I wouldn´t even dream of shooting that as I value my hands, sorry, Mike

450_Ackley
.375 member

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: Darling Downs, Qld Australia
Re: J White Gunsmithing - Gigars for all - continued. [Re: Mike_Bailey]
      #209524 - 30/05/12 05:11 PM

I haven't posted on NE much here anymore, but reading this post made me want to post something.

These pictures actually made me feel sick in the stomach, literally. I've not got much money and if I had saved up for years and received this in the post, I think I'd have to calm down for a few days first before I contacted this supposed gunsmith. Asking for you money back is just the beginning here I think, how the hell do you trust any gunsmith from then on?

My sincere condolences to you, Mauser 416.

Regards,
David.

pjaln
.375 member

Reged: 08/06/06
Loc: massachusetts ,U.S.A.
Re: J White Gunsmithing - Gigars for all - continued. [Re: 450_Ackley]
      #209533 - 30/05/12 07:09 PM

mauser 416...i know this is a hard pill for you to swallow ,,but if you were looking at his work on his site before hand it is obvious that hes not a talented gunsmith and just a glorified tinkerer,,he probably impresses his friends in the boondocks of maine ,which is easy to do and keeps him going ,,it looks to me that hes more interested in getting the gun to operate(if it even does that ) than the appearence ,, how did you find him anyway??....paul

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: J White Gunsmithing - Gigars for all - continued. [Re: pjaln]
      #209535 - 30/05/12 07:31 PM

Terrible job. Sorry to see it.

Did you express your dissatisfaction and what was his reaction>

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Mauser416
.300 member

Re: J White Gunsmithing - Gigars for all - continued. [Re: NitroX]
      #209578 - 30/05/12 10:59 PM

I found Jim about five or six years ago. There were a few folks doing shotgun to DR conversions but most were busy. I had found some people who had work done by Jim and were pleased. He and I talked on the phone and laid out a course of action. As I was traveling out of the country quite a bit at the time a decided to send my Cz to him so he could start when my time came. I wanted to finalize details before the work began. He was to send me some close up photos of the gun he was working on and then he was to contact me before he started mine. About a year later I received an e-mail informing me that he was almost finished with mine and also provided an anticipated delivery data a month or so away. I saw concerns on Castboollits forum about Jim and work on a revolver around this time. After failing to deliver I contacted Jim and mentioned that I hadn't had a chance to review and approve design details. At this point communication became a problem. E-mails were answered after long delays or at times never. Photos were promised, but never came, so I could review and guide the build and a few more delivery dates were promised and missed. In mid-2010 I was diagnosed with cancer. Later that year I contacted Jim to try to get an idea of a delivery date and in hopes of settling up with him financially as I didn't know how much surgery and such would cost. After two or three e-mails in this vein he responded. After this communication stopped dead cold. No e-mails no phone messages. After about a year of this I contacted the Main Attorney General-Consumer Mediation Service. They use volunteers to handle their cases. My case agent didn't have much luck in contacting Jim either. After a couple of months, I was finally contacted by Jim. Apparently the BATFE had said his gunsmithing license was no good and told him he needed a manufacturing license. During this year+ he decided to communicate with no one until his new license was ready to avoid being accused of doing business without the proper license. His license was ready in mid-2011 but the BATFE did not give it to him until the end of the year at which point he finally contacted me. Communication was still difficult and still no pictures and very limited details. The "Cigars for all" post contained the first and only pictures I received. Another missed delivery data and "be ready in a month". Then, over the last few weeks better communication and yesterday receipt of the rifle.

I didn't expect a Heym or Merkel and realized that the cost of the Cz plus $3000 wouldn't get me one. I did expect symmetry, a properly fitted extractor, a forearm hanger that at least looked machined rather than chopped out, etc. When I sent my money the only things I had heard of Jim were positive.

I will admit it was STUPID to send him $3000 up front. This decision was based on 1. having the money accumulated 2. my long duration foreign travel 3. understanding some of the difficulties gunsmiths encounter and wanting to help and 4. being a trusting and kind-hearted albeit foolish individual.

I asked for my money back as part of the mediation filing. Jim said he couldn't pay as he had been out of work for over a year with the BATFE licensing issue. I have conveyed my thoughts to him and am waiting for a reply.

--------------------

DarylS
.700 member

#209579 - 30/05/12 11:52 PM

Speachless in BC. Well, almost.
I sincerely hope you get healthy, Erik.

--------------------
Daryl

RogerRoger
.224 member

Reged: 16/04/11
Loc: Western Australia
Re: J White Gunsmithing - Gigars for all - continued. [Re: DarylS]
      #209584 - 31/05/12 12:17 AM

Sorry, my heart goes out to you
Send it back and get him to test fire it with proof loads, as a manafacturer I would think that it would have to be proof fired before he could release it.
I would love to see the vidio of him doing the proof firing.
I think it will kill the problem
Cheers
Roger

Mauser416
.300 member

Re: J White Gunsmithing - Gigars for all - continued. [Re: RogerRoger]
      #209586 - 31/05/12 12:26 AM

I don't know that he fired a proof load but he did work up a regulating loads. He was supposed to send pictures of the rifle being fired but those never materialized.

--------------------

Buchsemann
.333 member

Reged: 12/12/08
Loc: Wisconsin, USA
      #209595 - 31/05/12 01:17 AM

Mauser416,

I'm very sorry to see that you have had such an experience. Back in my tool and die maker years we had a term for people such as this J. White, "Chop Jock". From what I see he couldn't even qualify to cut meat. I hope you end up with something in the way of restitution/compensation out of this mess.

Regards,

Buchseman

--------------------
Happy the man, and happy he alone,
He who can call today his own:
He who, secure within, can say,
Tomorrow do thy worst, for I have lived today.

- John Dryden

doubleriflejack
.333 member

Reged: 11/11/07
Loc: Oregon, U.S.A.
Re: J White Gunsmithing - Cigars for all - continued. [Re: Mauser416]
      #209609 - 31/05/12 04:32 AM

We should all learn from this experience, never buy anything until you see what you are getting for the money. J. White should never call himself a gunsmith; has he no pride, obviously he doesn't. He should be ashamed of himself! I have seen some other American "gunsmiths" who should never work on anything more complex than a paper clip, but this guy takes the cake, setting a new record for lousy workmanship.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: J White Gunsmithing - Cigars for all - continued. [Re: doubleriflejack]
      #209611 - 31/05/12 05:18 AM

I agree, not wanting to offend Mauser416 with these comments which are general comments. Anyone can be burned by a gunsmith, but somethings can reduce the chance.

Another guy on these forums and elsewhere sold a lot of double rifles which were never delivered.

Did any of these customers actually sight one?

I visited the guy personally and didn't see any work I would spend my dollars on. The building DRs idea only came after my visit however and evidently was a con (IMO).

If you buy a bespoke rifle, a double rifle build try to see some of their work. Even if it is something different from what you are looking at.

I wanted to get a shotgun converted and saw a reasonable example before contacting the guy. Unfortunately that gunmaker/gunsmith no longer wanted to do shotgun conversions himself.

AND the old lesson still stands - if it is cheap there is a reason. A cheap shotgun conversion is a lot riskier than one more expensive from an established guy. And ANY shotgun conversion will be riskier than buying a real double rifle in the first place.

Just like a sabatti buyer takes a much higher risk of defects than a Heym buyer.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

500Nitro
.450 member

#209612 - 31/05/12 05:19 AM

I think it also shows that if you get a gunsmith to do something, you put it in writing.

I learnt this very early on when the old "London Guns" gunsmith decided on his own free will to re engrave part of the barrels !!! The only problem was, the lump that sticks through is now pristine whereas the rest of the gun is worn.

So from now on, everything goes in writing.

Re the USA and gunsmiths / manufacturers, not sure what it is with these people over there but trying to get people to make stuff drives me batty and I have had it confirmed by a few others as well that this is normal.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: J White Gunsmithing - Cigars for all - continued. [Re: 500Nitro]
      #209613 - 31/05/12 05:21 AM

Quote:

I think it also shows that if you get a gunsmith to do something, you put it in writing.

I learnt this very early on when the old "London Guns" gunsmith decided on his own free will to re engrave part of the barrels !!! The only problem was, the lump that sticks through is now pristine whereas the rest of the gun is worn.

So from now on, everything goes in writing.

Ha ha, I believe that is the same gunmaker/smith I mentioned above re a shotgun conversion.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

tinker
.416 member

Reged: 12/03/05
Loc: Nevada
      #209614 - 31/05/12 05:27 AM

That's horrible.

So unfortunate.

Mauser416
.300 member

Re: J White Gunsmithing - Cigars for all - continued. [Re: NitroX]
      #209615 - 31/05/12 05:28 AM

Good points NitroX and no offense taken.

I'm sitting on a stool in the corner of the classroom with a pointy hat on.

Many of the details were in writing yet this still transpired. The distance between Maine and Texas made this more problematic. I've used out of state gunsmiths and been more than happy in the past.

No offense intended to the guys out there that do good conversion work but I think that when/if I can afford to buy a DR it will be from someplace where I can see it, hold it, and return it should the need arise. At least Cabela's is taking back the Sabatti's or making it right.

--------------------

500Nitro
.450 member

#209616 - 31/05/12 05:29 AM

Yep, Ralph Batnik or something.

hey, he can do great work, in fact superb work,
the problem is (and I have been told this since)
is that he can go over and above what he was asked to do !!!

Another one - he chopped a set of 577 barrels to 20 or 21 inches because that's what he thought would be good.
The customer had asked for 23 or 24 inches !!!

Kind of the type of thing that can't be rectified !!!

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#209617 - 31/05/12 05:31 AM

Quote:

Good points NitroX and no offense taken.

I'm sitting on a stool in the corner of the classroom with a pointy hat on.

Many of the details were in writing yet this still transpired. The distance between Maine and Texas made this more problematic. I've used out of state gunsmiths and been more than happy in the past.

No offense intended to the guys out there that do good conversion work but I think that when/if I can afford to buy a DR it will be from someplace where I can see it, hold it, and return it should the need arise. At least Cabela's is taking back the Sabatti's or making it right.

Mauser416, it is easy to be an expert after the fact, and give armchair advice.

Personally I think if you have health problems that is what you need to look after, ie yourself.

Dealing with lawyers/courts etc to recover a smallish amount (ie for lawyers) will just drive you under. Better to look after one's health.

Wishing you the best of health.

Sending you a PM.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

mehulkamdar
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/04
Loc: State of Ill-Annoy USA.
      #209637 - 31/05/12 07:14 AM

Mauser416,

It should be possible to find a lawyer who takes your case up without upfront payments and who takes a percentage of any money recovered. Just write to the Maine Bar Association. They will help you. There are lawyers who do this kind of thing in every state. You may need to spend some time making calls and talking to a few lawyers before you settle on one, but you can find someone who will work without an upfront fee. Please keep trying.

I had heard good stuff about Jim White from a member on another forum, but this is ridiculous. Don't let this go without taking legal action. You deserve to get your hard earned money back.

--------------------
The Ark was made by amateurs. Experts built the Titanic.

Mehul Kamdar

Yochanan
.375 member

Reged: 26/01/03
Loc: Volksdiktatur Schweden
Re: J White Gunsmithing - Cigars for all - continued. [Re: mehulkamdar]
      #209642 - 31/05/12 08:11 AM

Eureka! This looks like something from Africa's "bush tinker gunsmith's" Work shown on J White "gunsmithing" website didn't impress me at all. I hope you get your money back.

--------------------
© "I have never been able to appreciate 'shock' as applied to killing big game. It seems to me that you cannot kill an elephant weighing six tons by ´shock´unless you advocate the use of a field gun." - W.D.M. Bell: Wanderings of an Elephant Hunter.

pjaln
.375 member

#209645 - 31/05/12 08:33 AM

mauser416,,,,heres the remedy,,,even if the gun did look ok it still would not be worth the money you put in to it if you tried to sell it ,,,so sell the original shotgun you still have ,,now im not a double rifle expert but i have had many bolt rifles built by smaller gunsmith shops which i would probably never do again because of wiating and the fact that they dont have a "name" when they are finished , that being said,,, i would save up a little more money and go buy a siace double from griffin and howe to me they look like the best deal out there style wise and all and like most of the italian doubles ,when they first show up on the scene they are priced right then they seem to increase thru the years and eventually you,ll have your loss back ,,griffin recently sold a 458, by casartelli that was one of the nicest "cheap" doubles around at 10k and im sure now that its been sold it wont show up for less any time soon if ever ,,,,, hey 5 years ago i had to buy my wife diamond earings so to offset the jewelry "loss" sort of speak,,i bought myself a 400/350 rigby the same week ,,,i figure in a few years the rigby will appreciate to the piont where the earings will be free ,,i already feel better about it,,,,!!!! paul

MaxGera
.275 member

#209651 - 31/05/12 11:09 AM

Hi, I have never seen anything like this. I could understand someone doing something like this in their garage while trying to learn something...

However, it's beyond my comprehension how anyone would allow anyone else, let alone a customer to ever see it!

Considering his total lack of response to everyone's emails, including mine, maybe a restrained dosage of Harley Davidsons and baseball bats is in order.

--------------------

DarylS
.700 member

Re: J White Gunsmithing - Cigars for all - continued. [Re: MaxGera]
      #209691 - 01/06/12 12:43 AM

Lets all take a moment to calm down, please. Yes - the job was horrific in the extreme.

--------------------
Daryl

Mauser416
.300 member

Re: J White Gunsmithing - Cigars for all - continued. [Re: DarylS]
      #209709 - 01/06/12 05:20 AM

I haven't heard from Jim and didn't really expect to given his past history. I have an ongoing file with the Maine Attorney General's office but even they have problems contacting him. I've filed with the BBB but he apparently isn't a member as they have no record of his business. I have solicited and received a professional assessment of the final product due to the gracious efforts of a fellow forum member. I am endeavoring to obtain a few more in support of my case.

Does anyone know an attorney in Maine who may be willing to take up this case on a contingency basis? As I reside in Texas and Jim is in Maine I cannot even file in small claim's court without physically being present to file and potentially having to return to hear the case or to have someone do so in my stead.

Thank you,
Eric Leeton

--------------------

pjaln
.375 member

#209714 - 01/06/12 07:27 AM

eric,,,just so we,re not giving maine a bad rep,,let it be known david trevallion of purdeys(london) resides there just out side of york ,,im sure he can build a double !!,,and he may know a lawyer locally too,reach him at ..the gun vault at fox hill,,google it ...paul

Mauser416
.300 member

Re: J White Gunsmithing - Cigars for all - continued. [Re: pjaln]
      #209718 - 01/06/12 07:39 AM

Pjaln,

Thanks for the heads up. I have nothing against Maine and most of the folks who reside there. I had the pleasure of visiting that neck of the woods several years ago. Hopefully when the kids are out of the nest and educated my wife and I will make it back up there.

Eric

--------------------

mehulkamdar
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/04
Loc: State of Ill-Annoy USA.
      #209722 - 01/06/12 08:39 AM

Eric,

Please contact the Maine Bar Association lawyer referral site. You can call them on their 1-800 number. You should be able to find a lawyer to represent you. It should not be a problem once you find a lawyer whom you are comfortable with. The complaint with the State Attorney general's office would also work.

I hope that you get the problem sorted out at the earliest. Best wishes.

--------------------
The Ark was made by amateurs. Experts built the Titanic.

Mehul Kamdar

MaxGera
.275 member

#209723 - 01/06/12 08:47 AM

Another thing that you can do, is to contact a Collection Agency and place a claim with them.

Most of them do not require any proof of the debt. They all work strictly on commission, usually 50% and never require money up front.

They will drive him insane.

Also, you can post comments and pictures on his "Wall" on Facebook.

One more thing that you may consider, is to take him to small claims court in Texas, claiming venue based on the fact that you paid him with a check from a Texas bank. When he fails to appear in court, you will get a Default Judgement and can then forward it to a Maine Sheriff, Marshall or Constable for Bank Account and other property seizure.

Max

Edited by MaxGera (01/06/12 09:04 AM)

Mauser416
.300 member

#209724 - 01/06/12 08:49 AM

mehulkamdar,

I have been working with the AG since October and they haven't been able to provide much assistance. With only one or two cases on file their response is limited although the folks in the AG have been doing what they can.

I called the Bar Association today and they have a policy prohibiting them from providing references in Pro Bono cases and state so in the recording you listen to before talking with a live person. They also refuse to make referrals for contingency cases as well. They will only refer once you have agreed to pay for the $25 referral fee and whatever hourly consulting costs the attorney requires. I currently cannot afford to pay consulting fees only to find that the particular attorney will not handle the case and then have to repeat the process "X" number of times before finding someone who will handle the case.

I know there are other folks out there in my predicament or worse. Folks who have sent Jim guns and or money and have not heard from him or have not received their product. I am hoping they will contact the AG and provide the needed impetus to permit the AG to take action. In the meantime I will continue to search for a means to recoup my losses.

Thanks,
Eric

--------------------

Edited by Mauser416 (01/06/12 09:24 AM)

Mauser416
.300 member

#209725 - 01/06/12 08:55 AM

MaxGera,

Good ideas. He has already blocked the guestbook on his web page. If you have the URL you can get there but there is no longer a link. I do not do FaceBook but my daughter does. She was unable to find his facebook page although someone had posted their earlier.

I still do not understand why he refuses to communicate. This was a major problem in the past four plus years. If you have a customer who is not happy you would think a business would attempt to placate the customer by staying in touch and letting them know what is happening. Instead, nothing is said, phone messages are left unanswered and e-mails are not returned. I guess he feels his predicament is as a result of being screwed over by the BATFE and therefore it is not his fault so screw his customers.

--------------------

pjaln
.375 member

#209732 - 01/06/12 11:01 AM

for what its worth ,,,that part of maine may as well be another planet ,,not to throw gas on a fire , but i doubt if you,ll get anyone to actually go there to find him ,,i fly fish the in pittsburgh new hampshire which almost as far north as that part of maine,,and i know how it can be ...paul

AkMike
.416 member

Reged: 19/11/05
Loc: Anchorage, Alaska
Re: J White Gunsmithing - Cigars for all - continued. [Re: pjaln]
      #209736 - 01/06/12 12:27 PM

Max Gera can answer with much more knowledge than I on this . BUT can something be done with his federal license for manufacture of firearms or against his `smith licenseing?

--------------------
"When you see that in order to produce, you need to obtain permission from men who produce nothing; when you see that money is flowing to those who deal not in goods, but in favors; you may know that your society is doomed." Ayn Rand

Mauser416
.300 member

Re: J White Gunsmithing - Cigars for all - continued. [Re: AkMike]
      #209926 - 03/06/12 08:10 AM

If anyone has had mis-dealings with Mr. White would you PM me

Thanks,
Eric

--------------------

PHMadness
.275 member

Reged: 26/05/11
Loc: Seattle, WA
      #209933 - 03/06/12 09:49 AM

It would appear he has taken down his Facebook page. I know it was there because I "Un-Liked" it the other day.
I wanted to see if he had gotten any more bad reviews.

Brithunter
.300 member

Reged: 17/03/10
Loc: Lincolnshire, England
Re: J White Gunsmithing - Cigars for all - continued. [Re: PHMadness]
      #209936 - 03/06/12 10:36 AM

Well his website is up and looks all fine and dandy. I did notice that the 45/70 double build was missing the photos ........................... Hmmmm. It's still possible to leave comments on his photo storage site it seems although I didn't try to do so.

Have read the entire thread now and am so saddened. My thoughts on seeing the photos were how dreadful. Mauser416 as already mentioned health comes first. My thoughts and best wishes are with you.

Let's hope that some good can come out of this mess.

Edit:- Just looked at your first post and to my eyes there is no way the barrels you received were the ones in that photo of the gun being tested. No way on Gods earth.

Edited by Brithunter (03/06/12 10:48 AM)

Mauser416
.300 member

Re: J White Gunsmithing - Cigars for all - continued. [Re: Brithunter]
      #209940 - 03/06/12 11:28 AM

Brithunter,

I wanted to thank you and everyone here for their concerns over my health. I have been cancer free for over a year now. I am still contending with the expenses but for all intents and purposes my surgery was a complete success. For the time being I am only contending with lymphedema or swelling in the right leg. I am basically relegated to wearing extra strong pantyhose. Given that i was facing the possibility of incontinence of impotence I will gladly settle with the pantyhose.

I will continue to try to find satisfaction against Mr. White. In this case numbers help. The Maine Attorney General has a limited response with one or two cases. If they get enough complaints then they will initiate legal action. This is one reason I posted. There was a complaint filed four or five years back with the AG. Mr. White basically blew it off and noting happened. IF we can round up a few more dissatisfied customers I think the AG will get involved.

Eric

--------------------

MaxGera
.275 member

#209941 - 03/06/12 12:02 PM

Did you see my update to my post about the Collection Agency, the one about Small Claims Court?

--------------------

Mauser416
.300 member

#209942 - 03/06/12 12:10 PM

MaxGera,

I'll have to look into the small claims in Texas option. I paid him with USPS money orders. The Texas AG won't do anything but I will look into the small claims option. Thanks for bringing this avenue to my attention.

Eric

--------------------

Cazadero
.375 member

Reged: 17/10/11
Loc: Texas
      #209944 - 03/06/12 01:31 PM

Really sorry to hear this story. It reminds me of the South African Outfitter that I had the misfortune to deal with. Like you said, I made so many mistakes.

Anyway, i looked this guy up and he has lots of videos on you tube. Why dont you make and post a video on you tube so that every one that looks at related videos can pick yours up see it too.

Sorry once again.

Mauser416
.300 member

Re: J White Gunsmithing - Cigars for all - continued. [Re: Cazadero]
      #209978 - 03/06/12 11:03 PM

Cazadero,

That sounds like a good idea.

--------------------

Mauser416
.300 member

#209984 - 04/06/12 12:45 AM

I put together a short presentation on YouTube. Feel free to visit at:
http://youtu.be/wGf-kQpkj70

--------------------

Mauser416
.300 member

#210017 - 04/06/12 07:47 AM

I upgraded the presentation a bit

http://youtu.be/3ec3KVifM9U

--------------------

Mauser416
.300 member

#210193 - 06/06/12 01:38 AM

Last week I sent a certified letter to Jim along with a written appraisal of the work on the rifle. For the time being I am waiting for the return receipt to see if he accepted the letter. This morning I also spoke with Maine AG letting them know what has transpired over the last week or so. Now that the "completed" product has been delivered and is not what I ordered and is not safe to shoot I am hoping that this will provide the impetus for them to start some action against J White Gunsmithing.

--------------------

casper50
.400 member

Reged: 18/10/07
Loc: Alaska
      #210197 - 06/06/12 02:01 AM

Good luck.

Mauser416
.300 member

Re: J White Gunsmithing - Cigars for all - continued. [Re: casper50]
      #210211 - 06/06/12 07:21 AM

I was able to reach and talk with Jim's wife this afternoon by calling the number listed for their firearm safety and maintenance course. I was assured that Jim was trying to find a way to make this right.

--------------------

500Nitro
.450 member

#210212 - 06/06/12 07:40 AM

Quote:

I was able to reach and talk with Jim's wife this afternoon by calling the number listed for their firearm safety and maintenance course. I was assured that Jim was trying to find a way to make this right.

Trying to find a way to make this right ?

What did you say to her ?

That's easy, you pay me back the $3000 and I'll send you the gun".

mickey
.416 member

Reged: 05/01/03
Loc: Pend Oreille Valley, Idaho
Re: J White Gunsmithing - Cigars for all - continued. [Re: 500Nitro]
      #210227 - 06/06/12 10:17 AM

Make it right? If he cared about it being right he would have never sent out the rifle.

--------------------
Lovu Zdar
Mick

A Man of Pleasure, Enterprise, Wit and Spirit Rare Books, Big Game Hunting, English Rifles, Fishing, Explosives, Chauvinism, Insensitivity, Public Drunkenness and Sloth, Champion of Lost and Unpopular Causes.

tinker
.416 member

Reged: 12/03/05
Loc: Nevada
Re: J White Gunsmithing - Cigars for all - continued. [Re: mickey]
      #210234 - 06/06/12 11:40 AM

There's really nothing to save on that barrel set.
Maybe the sight rib and ramp.

I can't see a way to make the hooks and lumps and rib extension work.
I'd insist on a refund.

Brithunter
.300 member

Reged: 17/03/10
Loc: Lincolnshire, England
Re: J White Gunsmithing - Cigars for all - continued. [Re: tinker]
      #210262 - 06/06/12 08:15 PM

I wonder how your video presentation has helped that and comments on his videos plus the various forums it's now on.. methinks our Jim is feeling the pressure a bit...................... hopefully

--------------------
Don't let the bastards grind you down!

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: J White Gunsmithing - Cigars for all - continued. [Re: Brithunter]
      #210282 - 07/06/12 01:29 AM

Hope you get a refund. You will still have a shotgun if you keep it.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Mauser416
.300 member

#210297 - 07/06/12 04:05 AM

The shotgun is one thing I am not yet totally confident about. The greener cross-bolt on the new barrels is bad. The lumps are not true and square. Jim fired it for regulation work. I don't know if the load bearing surfaces being dodgy has done any damage to the mating surfaces of the action during firing. Of course that will cost money to have this checked to make sure it is good.

Eric

--------------------

Cazadero
.375 member

#210312 - 07/06/12 08:08 AM

You may not get it but I think you are owed your money back plus the cost of your now-questionable shotgun.

Keep the pressure on him and good luck.

Sad that a businessman lets his wife or anyone else field a phone call for him and then doesn't immediately follow up with the customer.

buckbrush
.300 member

Reged: 23/08/07
Loc: Alberta
      #210444 - 08/06/12 03:24 PM

My first reaction was this has to be a joke. What a mess! It looks like Red Green made it.

kamilaroi
.400 member

Reged: 18/12/04
Loc: sydney, new south wales, Austr...
Re: J White Gunsmithing - Cigars for all - continued. [Re: buckbrush]
      #210450 - 08/06/12 06:11 PM

I thought it was a product of Bubba Enterprises Laboratories N.L..

Mauser416
.300 member

Re: J White Gunsmithing - Cigars for all - continued. [Re: buckbrush]
      #210456 - 08/06/12 11:18 PM

Quote:

My first reaction was this has to be a joke. What a mess! It looks like Red Green made it.

I take it the Red Green you are referring to is comparable to Tim Allen in Home Improvement here in the US.

I thought he used more duct tape?

--------------------

Mauser416
.300 member

#210504 - 09/06/12 12:55 PM

In December when he sent the photos of the near complete rifle I posted in "cigars for all" I let Jim know I was going to post them on the web. I also let him know that there were other folks out there looking to have similar work done. When he told me he was sending it out I again let him know that I was going to post pictures on the web as several folks had asked to see the finished product. I've sent and he received my certified letter on Monday and I talked with his wife on Tuesday. Yet he still refuses to contact me at all. It is as if he thinks he can ignore it and I will go away and forget about the time and money I've invested.

I'm not a litigious person but what else can you do?

--------------------

Mauser416
.300 member

#210799 - 13/06/12 01:47 AM

All,

After leaving a voice mail I received and e-mail from Mr. White. It appears that we may have reached a solution agreeable to both of us.

I had originally requested a refund within 30 days of his receipt of my certified letter. Jim has informed me that he will try to gather the necessary funds within 30 days but may need up to 60 days to do so.

While this story is not yet complete I find it to be a good sign that Mr. White has contacted me and appears to be willing to make things right.

Eric

--------------------

Birdhunter50
.375 member

Reged: 03/06/07
Loc: Iowa,U.S.A.
      #211089 - 18/06/12 10:48 PM

Eric,
I hope you receive a full refund, that is no more than what you deserve. After looking over the photos I don't think he should be doing any more conversions. I would be ashamed to have anyone see my work if it looked like that. You may have caught a bit of luck though, I'm not sure you would want to shoot that gun put together that way. You might have lost more than just money if you had fired it much! Good Luck! Bob

DarylS
.700 member

Re: J White Gunsmithing - Cigars for all - continued. [Re: Birdhunter50]
      #211091 - 18/06/12 11:57 PM

I'm happy something is happening & do hope you get your money back. I also hope the original "shotgun" stays with you, afterall, only the barrels & maybe a forend were made by him.

--------------------
Daryl

Mauser416
.300 member

Re: J White Gunsmithing - Cigars for all - continued. [Re: DarylS]
      #211097 - 19/06/12 01:46 AM

Daryl_S,

I elected to have him purchase back the original gun as well. When I looked at the mating surfaces on the "new" barrels and mono-block and considered that he had worked up regulating loads I didn't want to run the risk in the future. Knowing my luck I could see me sending someone else the gun only to be informed that it had been compromised and was therefore no longer suitable. I will have to find another donor gun should I decide to pursue another conversion but I can live with that additional hassle.

The agreed upon refund covers the money I gave him for the conversion and the cost to purchase the same rifle new.

Eric

--------------------

DarylS
.700 member

#211099 - 19/06/12 02:01 AM

Sounds good, Erik. Glad it's working, so far.

--------------------
Daryl

mickey
.416 member

Reged: 05/01/03
Loc: Pend Oreille Valley, Idaho
      #211112 - 19/06/12 03:59 AM

Eric
Congratulations, I think you did as well as you could if you get all of your money back.

I wonder how much influence this and other forums had in his decision?

--------------------
Lovu Zdar
Mick

A Man of Pleasure, Enterprise, Wit and Spirit Rare Books, Big Game Hunting, English Rifles, Fishing, Explosives, Chauvinism, Insensitivity, Public Drunkenness and Sloth, Champion of Lost and Unpopular Causes.

Mauser416
.300 member

Re: J White Gunsmithing - Cigars for all - continued. [Re: mickey]
      #211123 - 19/06/12 05:37 AM

Mickey,

I think the folks here and on other forums have been instrumental in getting me to this point. I hope that this same influence will bring this to a timely and successful conclusion as well. I cannot thank the folks here enough for their support via post, e-mail or phone call. While I may not necessarily like the notion I also have to thank the folks who pointed out the stupid things I did in the earlier stages of the project. Not that I especially love criticism but in an effort to make sure that the next guy doesn't fall into the same pitfall.

In my eagerness to finally get a DR and given my extended overseas travel I sent the gun and money to "get in queue". This was with the understanding that certain things would happen along the way. Had I been of a more sound state of mind I would have had these questions locked in up front. It may have taken more time to get the project done had everything gone right but would have prevented the ordeal that I have been dealing with till now.

Eric

--------------------

HendrikNZ
.275 member

Reged: 20/12/10
Loc: New Zealand
      #211220 - 20/06/12 08:10 PM

It is really sad to see a fine gun butchered like that.

Is this the same muppet that did the work on your rifle?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBCe8ld3kik&feature=channel&list=UL

Mauser416
.300 member

Re: J White Gunsmithing - Cigars for all - continued. [Re: HendrikNZ]
      #211230 - 20/06/12 10:48 PM

That is Jim's video. My rifle was supposed to be delivered right around the time he posted that video. I didn't get it until five months later in late May

Eric

--------------------

AkMike
.416 member

Reged: 19/11/05
Loc: Anchorage, Alaska
      #211240 - 21/06/12 02:19 AM

What a DUFUS!

--------------------
"When you see that in order to produce, you need to obtain permission from men who produce nothing; when you see that money is flowing to those who deal not in goods, but in favors; you may know that your society is doomed." Ayn Rand

450_Ackley
.375 member

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: Darling Downs, Qld Australia
Re: J White Gunsmithing - Cigars for all - continued. [Re: AkMike]
      #211257 - 21/06/12 06:29 AM

Actions speak louder than words here...

Rule303
.416 member

Reged: 05/07/09
Loc: Woodford Qld
      #211274 - 21/06/12 12:24 PM

Mauser416, that thing that J White made is an abomanation of all things mechanical, let alone a firearm of any sort.

I am glad you have received word of a settlement from the man but, given his past record and asking for 60 days, I would not be holding my breath. With the dealings you have had with him I would be very sceptical about receiving any form of compensation from him untill all of it is in your hands. then and only then would I return the abomanation to him.

Yes, I am cynical and untrusting of those who do not uphold their end of agreements.

I do hope that your health picks up and you do aquire a nice DR

Cheers

Greg

Mauser416
.300 member

Re: J White Gunsmithing - Cigars for all - continued. [Re: Rule303]
      #211294 - 22/06/12 12:51 AM

Thanks Rule303 (Breaker Morant?) My health is much better and the minor inconveniences that I currently contend with are just that...minor. They are much better than some of the alternative outcomes that were possible.

This episode has made me more cynical as well. When you trust a craftsman and have that trust betrayed it makes one skeptical and unfortunately this carries over to others. If I take this root or something similar then there will be preconditions in place that must be met. I would rather lose a good gun offered through a private transaction than risk enduring this again.

I am still skeptical that my money will be refunded. I asked for the refund to be within 30 days of his receipt of my certified letter. He has responded to my Better Business Bureau complaint and indicated he would pay so it is recorded officially that he has agreed to do so. He also responded to my phone call with an e-mail promising to try pay with 30 days but asking for up to 60 days to provide more time to accumulate the funds. When the cold hard cash is in my grubby little hands then my mind will be at rest.

Caveat emptor,
Eric

--------------------

Rule303
.416 member

Reged: 05/07/09
Loc: Woodford Qld
      #211328 - 22/06/12 12:49 PM

Eric, you are spot on with the reference to Breaker Morant. In my mind JW is a contender for the application of Rule303.

Glad to hear your health has picked up.

Cheers
Greg

Cazadero
.375 member

Re: J White Gunsmithing - Cigars for all - continued. [Re: Rule303]
      #222450 - 28/12/12 02:07 PM

Mauser, I saw that Cal Pappas picked this up and included it in the latest African Hunter Magazine.

I think you got this finalized (if I remember correctly) and hopefully the nightmare is over.

Mauser416
.300 member

#222474 - 29/12/12 02:55 AM

Cazadero,

Thanks for highlighting the article. Yes, I did finally get this resolved and now have a Sabatti in 450/400. There are still other folks contending with J White though. One fella got involved with Jim shortly after I did. Another had Jim do some work about a year after my project started. Both gents got involved before there was any negative feedback. I have been talking with them in an effort to bring their issues to successful closure.

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 52 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 40570

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com