Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Sabatti - first look

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1
Mauser416
.300 member

Reged: 20/06/07
Loc: Corpus Christi, Texas
Sabatti - first look
      #209278 - 28/05/12 09:01 AM

I had some time to kill while up at the home office last week. I stopped by the Cabela's in Hoffman Estates and noticed they had a few Sabatti's on the shelf. I looked at a 4-70 and .470. I had really expected to find more metal on both guns. I was amazed at how small the chamber area was and how thin the barrels were at the muzzle. Really, at how thin the barrels were overall.

Are most DR's this small? I guess I have always just envisioned DR's to be more robust in appearance when dealing with the larger bores.

--------------------
There is nothing worse in this world than an enslaved man who naively believes himself free, except, perhaps, trying to explain to that same man his predicament.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
500Nitro
.450 member

Reged: 06/01/03
Loc: Victoria, Australia
Re: Sabatti - first look [Re: Mauser416]
      #209279 - 28/05/12 09:05 AM

Mauser

I thought they were slghtly on the "light" side but
having also looked at a 9lb something English gun
(one of the lightest English 470's I know),
they are very similar.

Haven't heard of any blow ups so they can't be that bad.

Question for those in the know as I have forgotten.

Are the Sabatti's proofed and carry proof marks ?
I thought they did coming from Italy.

kamilaroi
.400 member

Reged: 18/12/04
Loc: sydney, new south wales, Austr...
Re: Sabatti - first look [Re: 500Nitro]
      #209284 - 28/05/12 11:10 AM

I believe EU requires all firearms manufactured there to be proved.

doubleriflejack
.333 member

Reged: 11/11/07
Loc: Oregon, U.S.A.
Re: Sabatti - first look [Re: Mauser416]
      #209463 - 30/05/12 03:57 AM

Double rifles always have barrel walls that are considerably thinner than found on bolt action rifles. Stiffness, for accuracy, on a pair of barrels "tied" together with two ribs, makes for more than enough stiffnes for accuracy, comparable to same stiffness found on bolt rifles of same caliber. Early day double rifles tended to have heavier barrels than ones of today, because they were using barrel steel vastly inferior to barrel steels of today, so modern double rifles tend to be somewhat lighter in overall weight (thinner than in the past). Most uninformed American riflemen don't understand this, so many have converted double shotguns to double rifles with barrels way too thick, too heavy, following practices for bolt rifles, especially near the muzzles. Sabatti double rifles have barrels similar or same thickness as do most other modern maker, but their .500 is too thin, reducing overall weight too much for caliber, but so does the Merkel, with both needing buttstock mercury recoil reducers to gain enough overall weight to control recoil to a more reasonable level.

Of course, Sabatti, same as all the Italian makers, proofs their barrels, and they are so stamped. Trust me, the barrels and action steels used by Sabatti are way more than adequate for pressures involved with calibers used. They are as safe as any modern ones made in France, Germany, etc., all using proofs of their countries.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 74 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3022

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com