Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: brno rifles

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mauser Discussion Forum

Pages: 1
AdamTayler
.375 member

Reged: 22/03/04
Loc: B.C.
brno rifles
      #19809 - 19/10/04 02:43 AM

I was finally able to get on the Brno web site today. A lot of people think that CZ and Brno are the same, but they are not. Unfortunately Brno does not make a magnum actioned rifle as far as I can tell. The biggest calibre they chamber is the 9.3x62 in their model 98 bolt action and 9.3x74 in the model 800 over/under. www.zbrojovkabrno.com

--------------------
It's the journey, not the destination.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Martin
.224 member

Reged: 15/09/04
Loc: British
Re: Brno rifles [Re: AdamTayler]
      #19810 - 19/10/04 03:06 AM

Hi Adam.

In the days of communism, when Czechoslovakia was one, there were various factories making "Mauser" actions. CZ was one but there were several others. At that time all these actions were known as BRNO actions. In other words any action made in Czechoslovakia at that time was known as a BRNO action. It is probably a Czech acronym for "made in Czechoslovakia". There never was, nor indeed is there now, a BRNO factory.

ZBROJOVKA is the "real" name of the manufacturer, the BRNO suffix is just added to their name. It could as well be "CZ BRNO" or even "MARTIN BRNO".

I am certain this is correct as I used to have a "corner" of a business in Prague.

Martin

AdamTayler
.375 member

Re: Brno rifles [Re: Martin]
      #19824 - 19/10/04 02:31 PM

Martin

This is what I know. CZ is short for Ceskoslovenska Zbrojovka meaning Czechoslovakian Arms Works. This will be stamped on the rifles coming out of Czechoslovakia, followed by a.s. Brno or a.s. Uhersky Brod which notes the city/factory where the gun was made. There may be more factories; I do not know. After WWII it was regulated that all rifles had to have Brno markings, but this ended after the cold war with the decentralizition/privitization of the facories. The Brno factory started in 1918 and U.B. in 1936. CZ-USA is an arm of CZUB and CZ Brno is the factory/company for the web site mentioned above. I would like to compare a rifle from each company to see the exact differences, if any.

Adam

--------------------

Martin
.224 member

Reged: 15/09/04
Loc: British
Re: Brno rifles [Re: AdamTayler]
      #19829 - 19/10/04 06:19 PM

Thanks Adam. You certainly seem to have done your homework on this. I must confess, I have never really looked into it that thoroughly myself. The idea of comparison is interesting and would doubtless make a great magazine article - but where do you find the different rifles?

Regards,

Martin

AdamTayler
.375 member

Re: Brno rifles [Re: Martin]
      #19936 - 22/10/04 05:59 PM

I know where to look at the CZ rifles, and I have e-mailed Brno to find out who their agent is here in Canada.

--------------------

mehulkamdar
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/04
Loc: State of Ill-Annoy USA.
Re: brno rifles [Re: AdamTayler]
      #20902 - 15/11/04 05:00 AM

Adam,

There is a dealer in Oregon who sells the new straight pull Brno 22 lr rimfires and I have ordered one from him. No idea if he could deliver in Canada or even if he stocks the deluxe Mauser 98s that Brno list but I could put you in touch with him if you want.

Good hunting!

--------------------
The Ark was made by amateurs. Experts built the Titanic.

Mehul Kamdar

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 21 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3835

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com