Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Baikal IZH 18MH sticky action and poor trigger

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Single Shots & Combination Guns

Pages: 1
karamoja
.275 member

Reged: 25/04/12
Loc: Herefordshire, GB
Baikal IZH 18MH sticky action and poor trigger
      #208813 - 23/05/12 05:28 PM

Hi All,

I have an Baikal Kipplauf in .308 which I gradually working on for a woodland stalking rifle. I have had put on a quarter rib with a rail mount to solve the scope mounting problem. I have also had some work done on the trigger but it is still awfull!!! and I have got a stock set ready to be fitted.

My questions are - Has any one messed around with one of these and sorted the trigger creep out or put a completely different trigger unit in it? Also the cocking lever does not always return back to full closed position, the result being on firing it bounces forward effecting accuracy? I think these rifles are a great platform but no one seems to have deleved in in great detail? It is very accurate sub min at 100 yds when the cocking lever is fully forward!

Any help very greatly appreciated !!!!!!!!!!!!

Regards - Karamoja

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
moorjaeger
.224 member

Reged: 13/09/11
Loc: Germany
Re: Baikal IZH 18MH sticky action and poor trigger [Re: karamoja]
      #208909 - 24/05/12 10:09 AM

Every part of the trigger unit needs to be polished. Everything is rough. Afterwards it is much better, but it still is a cheep gun for hard work. The cocking lever has to be closed by hand, it is in contact to the stock.

Andreas

Brithunter
.300 member

Reged: 17/03/10
Loc: Lincolnshire, England
Re: Baikal IZH 18MH sticky action and poor trigger [Re: moorjaeger]
      #209226 - 28/05/12 12:32 AM

Hmm well here is the internals:-

I did reduce the weight of pull but never did remove all the creep and what's more I did not need to polish everything as claimed above.

However I did find that one needs to snap the action shut fairly smartly for the trigger block to go into place. Closing the action slowly and quietly caused misfires.

As you can see I also re-shaped the stock. We don't get offered walnut here in teh UK just the Artic Birch stocks. I did reduce the length of the hammer spring slightly and it made quite a difference.

--------------------
Don't let the bastards grind you down!

Edited by CptCurl (09/06/12 09:18 PM)

karamoja
.275 member

Reged: 25/04/12
Loc: Herefordshire, GB
Re: Baikal IZH 18MH sticky action and poor trigger [Re: Brithunter]
      #209304 - 28/05/12 04:50 PM

Hi all and thanks brithunter,

Many thanks for info - I have had a reputable riflesmith work on the trigger but he struggled to do much without making it unsafe!!! But the creep is still there!!!!ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh Otherwise this is a very accurate rifle (sub ") and has lots of potential. If only I can sort this trigger as it drives me up the wall and across the ceiling.

If there are any smiths out there reading this and prepared to give it some thought? - Is it possible to install another rifles mechanism or an aftermarket trigger unit?

Regards - K

Birdhunter50
.375 member

Reged: 03/06/07
Loc: Iowa,U.S.A.
Re: Baikal IZH 18MH sticky action and poor trigger [Re: karamoja]
      #209325 - 28/05/12 11:22 PM

Hi Karamoja,
I have not worked on one of their singleshots but I did buy and clean up one of their over/under double rifles in 30-06 caliber. I wanted to scope sight it for deer hunting and when I went to sight it in, I found that even decent groups with it were impossible because of the trigger pulls on the gun. I used my trigger pull gauge to check it each time I corrected something. It started out with triggers on it that pulled more than the gun weighed! I found that all the wood was too high on it and that the trigger mechanism was a mass of burrs and unpolished surfaces. It too, had a bunch of travel before breaking and lots of rough creepiness to the trigger pulls.
If you do the work yourself you will need photos of the action, which I see that you have already. Then you need to take the whole thing apart and de-burr all of it. Follow that up by stoning all mating surfaces that move and then polish them as best you can. I have some square stones for stoning but I do the polishing with 400 to 600 grit paper backed by a piece of steel.
The biggest part of the problem was the burrs but it also has a huge bearing surface where the sear release hits the sears. That will have to be shorted somewhat, BUT CAREFULLY! You don't want to take off too much metal or you will wind up with an unsafe gun! It would be best to consult a trained gunsmith and get his help and advice on this part. Keep polishing the surfaces till they really shine. That should help it alot, and do keep testing the pull as you go. This will mean assembling and dis-assembling the action several times. It is worth it in the end.
All these Russian guns close hard when new. I think it is because they are built on very tight tolerances, which actually surprised me. My over/under is still so tight that I have to almost pry it open. I'm fairly sure it will loosen up some with more use. I was pleasantly surprised at the quality of the machining and the accuracy after cleaning up the mechanism. They don't spend the time to smooth up the metal parts or get the wood down to a better fit the way others do. They are building basic utility guns at a cheap price. Good luck with your gun. Bob

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 35 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Huvius 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 12889
Calendar Event: 23/05/12

Rate this topic

Jump to