Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Good books, information on Double Rifles

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1
SteveM
.224 member

Reged: 20/08/04
Loc: Alberta, CAN
Good books, information on Double Rifles
      #20801 - 11/11/04 10:30 AM

Guys

I am big bore shooter (bolt action) but have not yet taken the plunge to get a double rifle and would like to do so in the near future. However I don't have a lot of knowledge on doubles like the difference between sidelocks and boxlocks and their advantages/disadvantages. I'm learning alot just reading many of your comments on the forum but I am also looking for some books on the subject to be better prepared when I do start looking at a purchase. My question (finally) is what books (or other sources of information) you would recommend for someone new to the subject.

Thanks, in advance, for your help!

SteveM

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Chasseur
.375 member

Reged: 18/11/03
Loc: Hunting classic Indian game!
Re: Good books, information on Double Rifles [Re: SteveM]
      #20803 - 11/11/04 12:12 PM

Welcome to the club Steve!

Best book is Graeme Wright's "Shooting the British Double Rifle" now in its second edition. Really the best there is.

Less good but with good eye candy is Alexander Gray's "The Hammerless Double Rifle,".

Also useful:

Craig Boddington, "Safari Rifles,"

Gregor Woods, "Rifles for Africa."

John Taylor, "African Rifles and Cartridges."

Two really good journals are the "Double Gun Journal" and "The Shooting Sportsman".
Also look for back issues by Ross Seyfried in the "Double Gun" Journal. Like vol. 5 issue 4 1994; vol. 6 issue 1 1995; vol. 10 issue 4 winter 1999.

Sherman Bell also has some fun stuff, see 15, issue 1 sprind 2004.

Also for general stuff on break action double barrels many of the better shotgun writers would be good to read for arguements on sidelocks vs. boxlocks, triggers etc.

I'd recomend almost anything by Michael McIntosh, in particular "Shotguns and Shooting," "More Shotguns and Shooting," and "Shotgun Technicana". Also anything by GT Garwood/Gough Thomas.

Just a start!

--------------------
In regards to action he should devote himself to hunting...
-Machiavelli

Edited by Chasseur (11/11/04 01:10 PM)

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #20805 - 11/11/04 01:24 PM

Steve

Welcome to the NitroExpress.com forums.

Chasseur has given you a pretty comprehensive listing of good places to look.

But IMO you have already found a great place. These forums which are interactive so you can ask questions of people who often know probably just as much as the writers of many articles, books etc. Sometimes they are one and the same.

Don't be discouraged by some of the heated discussions that sometimes occur. 'Newbies' starting off looking for honest information on how to get started get treated a lot better than those arguing often over obscure details or more likely pushing their own commercial 'barrow'.

Regarding sidelocks vs boxlocks, I believe there was a great thread on this in the past. Use the search function.

What would you be using your prospective double for? Big game such as buffalo, elephant? Or medium game such as deer and pigs?

Other sources of information could include visiting some of the US safari shows that do the rounds in January and February. Reports of many fine doubles on show and good places to have a look at the real thing and handle them.

Welcome to the world of doubles. I think you will have fun.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

clark7781
.375 member

Reged: 28/10/04
Loc: Fairfax County, Virginia, USA
      #20822 - 12/11/04 12:13 AM

Chasseur smacked the answer to your question right out of the park with his response! I would second all of the books he recommends- I've read all but two of them and I purged a lot of useful information out of them!

If I would offer some suggestions:

Regarding boxlock/sidelocks. Sidelocks are by far and away the prettiest DRs you can get, a probably stronger. With the sideplates fully engraved, they are just as much a work of art as they are a working rifle. But to me, boxlocks are works of art too, and for a fraction of the price (traditionally) than a sidelock.

I'm just your average working slob without a seven figure trust fund so a boxlock was the right choice for me. BUT, if money were no object, and dropping SERIOUS money on a sidelock would not put a dent into my cash accounts, sure, I would get a sidelock. But in my opinion, the boxlock does the same job as a sidelock.

Also, be sure to handle as many DIFFERENT double rifles in your price range. Each one is different, with a different feel and balance. It's easy to see one and say "I'm getting it," later to compare it to a similar one that fits you better. Double rifles are not like buying a Remington 700 off the shelf; you will be dropping big dollars for one so don't rush into the purchase without first doing what you are doing now.

This forum is a great medium for meeting other individuals that share a similar love of DRs. If you are seriously considering purchasing one, I would assume that most people here would take a few hours out of their day to let you handle and shoot their rifle...there are some GREAT people on this forum.

Before I bought my Merkel 140 in .500 NE I shot and handled about five NE calibers from different manufactures. For the price, feel and pure enjoyment, the Merkel was the best choice for me.

Just my two cents...

--------------------
Clark

Double Rifle Shooters Society
.500 NE and .577 NE

SteveM
.224 member

Reged: 20/08/04
Loc: Alberta, CAN
      #20844 - 12/11/04 11:07 AM

Guys

I sure appreciate all the suggestions. NitroX: I am looking at the bigger game (particularly buffalo). And I am going to the SCI convention in Reno in January (first time). I hope to get to handle a lot of the models you folks talk about on here.

Thanks again for the responses.

SteveM

Geronimo
.275 member

Reged: 14/04/04
Loc: Michigan,USA
      #20848 - 12/11/04 02:52 PM

A word of caution! The SCI convention is SENSORY OVERLOAD! Everything you ever read about, heard about, or thought about, as regards to hunting or the shooting sports will be there in person. It literally takes three days to fully see everything. This is truly a hunter and shooter's megamart. But by all means go and enjoy.

Geronimo

Pages: 1

Extra information
1 registered and 91 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1643

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com