Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: 12 bore factory round ball loads

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Paradox and Bore Guns

Pages: 1
bobc
.224 member

Reged: 18/05/05
12 bore factory round ball loads
      #208288 - 12/05/12 05:45 AM

http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/product_info.php/cPath/206/products_id/3425
Has anybody played with these. Seems like a simple way to get a round ball down a shotgun barrel without taking on reloading. I have a vintage cape gun I've wanted to load with a RB. Course, don't imagine these loads were low enough to be confident of shooting in a vintage gun even though it's handling 303 Brit pressures on the rifle side. Bob

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: 12 bore factory round ball loads [Re: bobc]
      #208289 - 12/05/12 06:37 AM

.65 calibre - that alone should tell you they would be next to useless past a few feet's range - I would guess. A non-choked 12 bore if tight, can have a bore of around .725"- the tighest I've measured, not to say there were none tighter. Some run upwards of .740" nowadays. The norm is .729" - the ball of which weighs 583.3gr. in absolutely pure lead - 12 to the pound, a pound being 7,000gr. weight.(avourdupois - I believe it's spelled - my dictionary is missing)

I was able to get undersized .682" balls to shoot well in my .725" bored 12 DB, by cupping the ball in an inverted plastic gas check cut from a spent AA trap wad - perfectly hemispherical in shape, the cups are/were. The cup centred the ball in the bore and even though the ball was undersized, the ball didn't know it and that side by side would keep 6 offhand shots on a 12" plate square of steel, rights then lefts, at 100 meters. I was happy with that, considering they were moving over 1,500fps, same as the 7 dram black powder load that caused wood repairs to have to be made to my shotgun stock. The smokeless loads kicked less than 1/2 of the BP loads - in felt recoil.

How the .65 cal. ball in those factory loads will shoot from what is probably a .73 calibre gun, I do now know.

I have read that the post WW11, Pre 1960's "punkin-ball" round ball loads in 12 bore were grossly innacurate due to being only .65 calibre. They were said to bounce from side to side on their way out the bore. Incidently, .65 calibre was the size ball in the paper ctgs. issued to US soldiers for use in their .69 to .70 cal. flint and percussion muskets, post about 1824. Even though they had paper ctgs. for taking up some of the slack, they were still grossly innacurate - I don't suppose another .030" of bore size increase would make a postitive difference - but - I stand ready to be amazed if someone would actually try these and report their success or failure with actual targets shot.

I see they are listed as a self-defense mechanism only- probably for the best, but inside a dwelling, I'd prefer a shot that wouldn't kill someone walking down the street after passing though a wall or two and maybe a body as well.

I do not see them as being a good home defense mechanizm, nor accurate enough for defense from game. Loading larger round balls is easily accomlished by anyone with a Lee Loader in 12 bore.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

bobc
.224 member

Reged: 18/05/05
Re: 12 bore factory round ball loads [Re: DarylS]
      #208323 - 13/05/12 08:33 AM

From what I read, the ball in seated in a cup that may center it in the bore. One blog reports said that they were surprisingly accurate. All that said, I'm still inclined to load for my cape gun so I can deal with predictable pressures Bob

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: 12 bore factory round ball loads [Re: bobc]
      #208326 - 13/05/12 09:14 AM

The cups do help, that's for sure as I found those many years ago. I'm still surprised at the VERY small size of the ball they used. A .690" ball is the same size as a normal 40 point choke (full) in a true 12 bore.
There's quite a difference between a 500gr., 14 bore ball and a ball .010" smaller than a one ounce ball.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 16 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  tinker 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3804

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com