Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Use of Safari shooting sticks

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Africa & hunting dangerous game

Pages: 1
Prev_Forum
.333 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Web
Use of Safari shooting sticks
      #199 - 30/12/02 02:05 AM

I'm interested in hearing if anyone has used shooting sticks. I never have, but have heard of many safaris where they have been employed.

Basically they are three sticks of equal length, bound perhaps a quarter down from the top. The sticks are open to form a tripod. The rifle is placed in the apex and used as a rest.

Can anyone tell me how long they are, what sort of wood, I assume quite a light wood, how far down they are bound, how they are bound, with what, etc?

And how you used them and how well they worked?

Thanks

First Previous 2-4 of 4 Next Last Delete Replies

Recommend Delete Message 2 of 4 in Discussion

Hi Nitro,

I used sticks like this on my safari in Zim last year (actually both of our PH had one), so everybody was using them.

Very easy make:
The three sticks where about 180-185cm in length, they used *very* old rubber band to bind all three of them together at approx. my shoulder height (I'm 180cm). The sticks weren't all that strong, if I remember correctly they where hardly as thick as my thumb (I can check again on my video if it's important...).

What I found very useful is the fact that you don't hold the tripot, but rather grip the rifle like in a normal unsupported (freehand) mode and then rest the rifle on it. (Helps a lot with the recoil, I wouldn't want to hold either one of my 416's with only one hand...

I had excellent results with those "home-made" tri-pots. I would recon they are better than leaning against a good tree for a shot...
However I didn't use them when I was shooting from a sitting position, I used the Stoneypoint Safaristicks for that...

Need any more info, pls let me know...

Regards, XLS

Recommend Delete Message 3 of 4 in Discussion

Nitro,

Not really popular here but you do get them.A lot of guys make them with only two sticks so it is more a bi-pot.We'll try one out when you are here Nitro and then put down a report on the site.One thing is for sure - you don't always have the time to use it.

Bigfive

Recommend Delete Message 4 of 4 in Discussion

I think a key to quick shooting with Safari Sticks is to have someone else carrying them (eg a tracker) and they then quickly set them up while the hunter places the rifle in the apex.

Holding a rifle while setting up the sticks would probably be slow. That is also why they probably aren't as much used outside of Africa. The PH or Guide is busy watching the game, the hunter with the rifle, and in Aust or NAmer less staff around to help.

But recently watching a video, they intrigued me and just for fun I want to give them a try. And if the safari outfit uses them, its good to be a bit practiced in their use.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nitro

"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."

http://NitroExpress.com

--------------------
Message from previous message board

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
mikeh416Rigby
.450 member

Reged: 24/02/03
Loc: The beautiful Oley Valley, PA....
Re: Use of Safari shooting sticks [Re: Prev_Forum]
      #2012 - 12/03/03 11:19 AM

I've used them, but don't really care for them. Same thing for shooting off my P.H.s shoulder. I'd much rather take a sitting position if possible, and get into a tight sling.

Bigfive
Sponsor

Reged: 06/01/03
Loc: Freestate,South-Africa
Re: Use of Safari shooting sticks [Re: mikeh416Rigby]
      #2014 - 12/03/03 04:57 PM

If you look at the small pic nexto my posts you'll see the shooting sticks.This is the same pare NitroX used when he hunted with me here.They are home made and work really good and are very light to carry with.

NitroX,
maybe you can enlarge that pic cause I think it was a full length photo??

--------------------
"Hunting is a way of life"
Bigfive,South Africa

Mpofu
.300 member

Reged: 02/01/03
Re: Use of Safari shooting sticks [Re: Bigfive]
      #2047 - 13/03/03 08:55 PM

For close up shots at DG, I do not use sticks , as I feel valuable time is spent setting up and using the sticks. The additional movement involved doesn't help either.
Such shots I have taken free hand.
For longer shots, usually plainsgame, I have been taught to use the two sticks, the left arm being held rigid and thus making up the third leg of the tripod. The whole thing can then be rocked forwards or backwards for elevation.
M.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Use of Safari shooting sticks [Re: Bigfive]
      #2066 - 15/03/03 11:33 PM

BigFive

here is your full size photo

"BigFive" demonstrating the use of full length shooting sticks

I had never used shooting sticks before my 2002 safari but found them very useful in making steady shots.

Mpofu is right though. They certainly did scare some game away, especially when close, so off-hand shots are better when the game is closer.

The set I used in Zimbabwe were more of a tripod with bolts with two attached higher up and one of the two and the third attached a couple of inches lower with another bolt.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

DUGABOY1
.400 member

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: TEXAS USA
Re: Use of Safari shooting sticks [Re: NitroX]
      #2073 - 16/03/03 05:26 AM

The three legged sticks are hard to use with a double rifle, because you must hold the fore end in your hand, and not let it touch the sticks. With a bolt rifle, however they are a big help. I have used a Mono-pod all my life for hunting in the open canyon country of Western USA. They were made of the bloom stalk of the Yucca plant, cut green, then stored in the attic of my house where the temprature os 50 deg Cel in summer. The dried stick is as light as balsam, and as strong as fiberglass. This stick is used as a walking stick in the mountains, till needed for a shooting support.
With a double rifle I use two of these Yucca sticks,tied together in the normal manner, with a sling between the top tips,of 1" wide leather, so when spread open the sling makes a saddle for my hand.
One of the most interesting shooting sticks I've heard of in Africa,described to me by HARRY (who posts on AR) were used by George Hoffman. In fairly open country the sticks are tied together like a triangle, and covered with grass, so they can be used to hide a single file approach on game, standing in the open. There is a hole in the upper part of the "SHIELD HIDE" for the rifle! Works like a charm, I'm told.

--------------------
..........Mac >>>===(x)===>
DUGABOY1, and MacD37 founding member of DRSS www.doublerifleshooterssociety.com
"If I die today, I have had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 23 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2261

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com