Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Merkel Metal & Wood Dry/Rain Care

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1
blackbearhunter
.333 member

Reged: 15/06/04
Loc: swamp
Merkel Metal & Wood Dry/Rain Care
      #20668 - 09/11/04 04:00 AM

Does anyone know if aluminum is used in the merkel forearm and will the silver coin type finish on the frame turn darker or blueish shaded some in time with age even if kept oiled and dry?Do some of the parts of other doubles have aluminum or aircraft type alloys?My takedown pin on the forearm is turning blueish spotted/flaky looking and it looks like aluminum metal to me?Any suggestions on care for these surfaces?I have been useing reg.gun oil for cleaning.Can the silver frame be kept shinny with some kind of double rifle polish?I just have never heard anything one way or the other about the patina/age colors of silver type frames vs the case color ones.Also on a engraved frame,just for learning something news sake,If the frame got wet real bad on a wilderness/extended type/rained & fog everyday hunt and the metal started to rust,would it attack the engraved lines first and can this rust stuff happen overnight if the air is salty,like around the ocean?Also should the walnut stock be wiped down with a oily rag or do some of you guys use furnature polish or some other wood preservetive/cleaner?Any maintaince/care tips for us students of the double?I know sometimes you can take off on a nice sunny day and still get caught in a rain storm before you know it,stuff happens.I always heard washington state has alot of rainy wet weather and england also.The rain forest would be hell on a double also.Can W-D 40 be used in a pinch if rifle has been soaked?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
bonanza
.400 member

Reged: 17/05/04
Loc: South Carolina
Re: Merkel Metal & Wood Dry/Rain Care [Re: blackbearhunter]
      #20669 - 09/11/04 05:26 AM

Welcome back blackbear,

There should me no aluminum on your gun. I think we bought ours about the same time this year. This is what I have done to my Merkel double I took rubbing aclohol and cleaned the exterior of all oil and grease. The applied gun wax (waxlene) over the entire surface, wood and metal - several layers. After each time I shoot it take a gun cloth and soaked it in silicon spay and wipe it down. This will sorta waterproof it without the problems of oil. The metal parts are hardened steel and will turn greyish over time. Don't try to polish this out.

Finally, never oil anything on you gun. Use gun grease; I use brileys choke tube grease as it has very high viscosity.

This is where I might get in touble and am willing to take advice. Don't even try to oil the action, you'll probably over oil it. This is what I plan to do with mine. Shoot it untill it breaks, then send to merkel to be fixed, period. I have heard of people recomending putting a drop of singer oil on each trigger and letting it work in. Problem there is, if the action has been greased at the factory, the oil will desolve the grease and wear will happen. I will probably send it to merkel to be torn down, cleaned relubed and freshend up every five years.

B.

--------------------

"Speak Precisely" G. Gordon Liddy.

"Life is absurd, chaotic and we must define its purpose with our actions" Abert Camus

"I''m the dude playing a dude disguised as another dude."

"Yo! Mr. White"

new_guy
Sponsor

Reged: 10/08/04
Loc: Texas
      #20672 - 09/11/04 05:46 AM

the "silver" finish on your gun is the lack of case-colors. those silver parts were hardened and most likely had case-colors on them when the hardening process was complete. After that, they simply remove the colors and polish the metal.

PS - don't get Naval Jelly anywhere near your case-colored guns... or you'll end up with that silver or coin finish!

So what you have in this silver finish, is basically bare steel. I'm sure there is some "skin" there of some minimal degree that offers more protection than raw steel - But it ain't much! Keep it clean, and protect it with a light coat of oil (I usually apply oil with one rag and wipe it off after that with a dry one.)

As for getting your gun wet - as in soaked. Get it to a compitent gun smith ASAP! - when i say compitent, i mean the guy you would trust taking your double rifle apart... not the "Bob's Guns" down the street that re-blues remington 1100's.

I doubt anyone would reccomend WD40, but 1) it does stand for Water Displacement (40th try) and 2) ask the gunsmith that you're getting it to ASAP - b/c he's going to be the one most likely refinishing the wood on your soaked gun...

Keep your powder dry... and your stock Too!

--------------------
www.heymUSA.com

blackbearhunter
.333 member

Re: Merkel Metal & Wood Dry/Rain Care [Re: new_guy]
      #20675 - 09/11/04 07:02 AM

Thanks for the help guys,I havent gotten my double rifle wet/soaked yet,nock on wood hope i never do,but have been in some pea soup fog/drizzle stuff. I cleaned & oiled her up good and had no problems.Been useing 3in one oil,sometimes remington oil or clp. I have never owned a silver finish anything before and just didnt know if turning color with age happens to the best of them, its not bad,but it has started .I think my rifle was made about 4-5yrs.ago.I know coins turn with age.
Never heard alot on the subject,but some shooters have gotta have some wild rusting weather fitts .Florida has had some doozies lately and i know that salt mist off the ocean areas is killer on metal .When I see a rusty gun i think of florida or alaska gun hunters everytime.Its gotta be a job to keep a gun rust free on the coastal states,areas .This year in Ga. it seems like its rained everyday...or aleast every other week
I lived for a week one time on cumberland island boar hunting out of a tent camp and the salt mist still got little tiny spects of rust
on my muzzle loader barrel that are still there today 15yrs.later even though i tried best i could to keep her cleaned and oiled in camp .Learned on that trip about salty ocean mist ,,,,,I look at em like war scars though and it doesnt hurt my50Cal.T.C. mountain Man hawkens beauty abit in my eyes, she earned ever scratch shes got!
Been trying to keep my double as new as i can but cant keep her a virgin forever ....Not if shes gonna hunt anyway a old battle worn rifle looks like it could tell more war stories than a closet /safe queenrifle anyday!!!And they dont start shooting like they were your right arm till you getem broke in good,,,,, Also you cant hunt nothingwith your double rifle and run with the big dogs setting on the porch !I aint gonna worry about my double rifle tarnishing and getting old,shes just getting better......
Thanks again for the help.Good Luck and Good shooting!!!

bonanza
.400 member

#20679 - 09/11/04 07:58 AM

Blackbear,

One think everyone can agree on is that the Merkels are working guns. I really suggest you watch the oiling - except the bores. The hidden parts of the stock are not finnished and will soak up any oil, which has a tendancy to migrate. Saying that, store your gun on its muzzle. A good coat of wax will protect the wood and metal better than oil. The british museum of history waxes all there firearms to preserve them. It's a pain in the butt to do, but lasts for a very long time. You'll only have to do it once per year.

BTW
I am thinking of hosting a DR shoot early next year in Charlotte NC, are you interested?
B.

--------------------

"Life is absurd, chaotic and we must define its purpose with our actions" Abert Camus

"Yo! Mr. White"

blackbearhunter
.333 member

Re: Merkel Metal & Wood Dry/Rain Care [Re: bonanza]
      #20684 - 09/11/04 08:35 AM

Hey bonanza,yes I would be interested in a DR shoot,keep me in mind,I love s.c. and always have a ball when i vist,That would be a hoot and the family can enjoy a trip like that too.We were at edisto island about a year ago.Beautiful country!!Lots to see and do....
I would get to show off my little merkel 06!
Sounds Like Fun!!!

bonanza
.400 member

#20685 - 09/11/04 08:54 AM

.500 nitro says he is interested too. Ok that's it I'll speak to the board about hosting it. My range has covered outdoor stations and a clubhouse where we can have a barbique.

--------------------

"Yo! Mr. White"

Pages: 1

Extra information
2 registered and 107 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1665

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com