Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Manton .470 field-tested (long, with pics)

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1
Marrakai
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: Darwin, Top End of Australia
Manton .470 field-tested (long, with pics)
      #20595 - 07/11/04 11:09 PM

A few weeks ago I acquired a very nice .470 double by Manton, extractor, 26-inch tubes, side-clips, doll's-head with third bite, modest scroll engraving, plenty of case-colours remaining, and absolutely gorgeous wood. I had always liked the .470, but never had the opportunity to actually possess one, till now!

For the past couple of weeks, I have been playing with loads to try to get it to point-of-aim. Currently it shoots almost 6 inches high at 50 metres with the 'standard' load of 103 grains AR2213, or 105 grains IMR4831. The test groups fired prior to purchase showed potential, but the bores were obviously copper-fouled from long use during the buffalo days. A thorough soaking with Wipeout brought them up to near perfect, and it now shoots into less than 1 1/4 inches at that distance, but still high.

I have heard that some doubles were sighted-in for what might be called 'area aim' but that particular sight-picture doesn't suit me, especially for fast shots on bolting boars for instance. I am reluctant to file down the rear vee, so perhaps a taller front sight is in order. Nevertheless, I had owned the gun for over 3 weeks, so it was time to take it hunting!

Yesterday, the good wife and I decided to walk a favourite creekline near a sandstone escarpment, which usually held a trickle of water right through the dry season. A good buff had been spooked by swirling wind when I hunted there with two mates in September, with luck he might still be there. Unfortunately the creek had now dried up, although a light sprinkling of rain had fallen during the previous evening so at least we would be able to identify any fresh tracks. I headed over to a deep pot-hole often used as a swim-wallow by buffalo earlier in the season, to find it still retained a small stagnant puddle of water. The spoor from only two animals was visible in the moist sand, a reasonable boar and a very large buffalo bull! Just what I was looking for!

As you can imagine, the stalk along the creekline from that point was quite slow and meticulous, a test of endurance in the intense November heat. That bull had to be somewhere, but despite our best efforts we couldn't locate him. Perhaps he had left the creekline and headed over to a distant swamp, so we hiked across the high ground to check it out. The swamp was in the sole possession of a family of four dingos, so we spent an enjoyable half-hour watching their antics undetected from about 50 metres, till the breeze finally gave us away. The look on their faces was priceless! Didn't they run!

Anyway, it was back to the creekline, and a quick walk out to try another spot, or so I thought! As we entered the lush vegetation along the creek, I glanced across to a small open glade and there he was! I could see most of his neck and back, and a healthy curve of horn waving to me as he nibbled the new grass. Signalling the missus to halt, I halved the distance with a short stalk to the trunk of a large bloodwood, where I was able to put in the first barrel as he quartered towards me with head down.

On receiving the bullet, he made a short lunge forward, but then hung his head very low and ambled slowly away for about 15 metres, coming to a standstill. Well he was still on his feet, so 'the rule' applied. I ducked forward to a fallen log, from which a window through the regrowth led straight to his ribs, and gave him the contents of the second barrel. This time I heard the tremendous Whok! of the bullet strike: he immediately staggered to the side, then toppled over. It wasn't till I approached the downed bull, reloaded rifle at the ready, that I realized what a splendid trophy animal he was!

The second bullet wasn't necessary of course, he was dead on his feet. The first Woodleigh Weldcore had entered at the base of the neck, quartering through to the opposite flank. The follow-up shot had quartered forward from the rib-cage to break the off shoulder. The classic crescent horns measured 33 and 35 inches, with 18-inch bases, and were slightly broomed on the tips: a big old bull with a very good head for that particular area these days.

I couldn't be happier! The taking of a magnificent trophy bull like this fellow, on my first hunt with a 'new' rifle, was more than I had a right to expect! I can only hope that this marvellous Manton double continues to be a 'lucky' rifle in my hands on many hunts to come.

--------------------
Marrakai
When the bull drops, the bullshit stops!
--------------------------------
www.marrakai-adventure.com.au

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
nitro476
.300 member

Reged: 21/10/04
Re: Manton .470 field-tested (long, with pics) [Re: Marrakai]
      #20596 - 07/11/04 11:13 PM

Nice shooting my friend! I have only had two doubles that would shoot like yours. First was a Rigby 470 and second was a 476 Westley Richards. What ws the purchase price if you don't mind my asking? Thank you and good hunting.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #20598 - 07/11/04 11:39 PM

Nice going.

First congratulations on your new double. Accurate too.

Very nice bull too and probably well earned if you are hunting in the November heat.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

mickey
.416 member

Reged: 05/01/03
Loc: Pend Oreille Valley, Idaho
Re: Manton .470 field-tested (long, with pics) [Re: NitroX]
      #20608 - 08/11/04 03:49 AM

Congratulations. A splendid story and and rifle. I used to have a MANTON very much like that. I sold it to a friend (a rich friend) who has taken 4-5 Elephants and many other African animals with it.

They are very good rifles and get sold short when Brit Guns are brought up.

--------------------
Lovu Zdar
Mick

A Man of Pleasure, Enterprise, Wit and Spirit Rare Books, Big Game Hunting, English Rifles, Fishing, Explosives, Chauvinism, Insensitivity, Public Drunkenness and Sloth, Champion of Lost and Unpopular Causes.

500Nitro
.450 member

Reged: 06/01/03
Loc: Victoria, Australia
Re: Manton .470 field-tested (long, with pics) [Re: mickey]
      #20610 - 08/11/04 03:57 AM

Marrakai

I not leaving any 470 ammo with you in the future !!!
Anyway, good shooting and speak soon.

476nitro
MOST Enghlish doubles I know of, have owned or do own shoot with 2" at 100 yards.
I only have 1 gun that doens'nt shoot and that is because the rib needs relaying and the gun needs re regulating

You say only 2 guns - out of how many ?

Mickey - I totally agree with you - Manton guns are solid, well built rifles and DEFINATELY get sold short
when Brit Guns are brought up.

500 Nitro

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #20647 - 08/11/04 04:30 PM

Bringing this excellent little double rifle hunt back up.

Tony,

You have created a dilemma for yourself in the future. I have read of how happy you are with your Jeffrey .400. Now you will have a difficult choice. Which one for the next pig hunt? Which one for your next buffalo?

Its better to off-load one and keep it simple. Hey I could help you! Just being a mate.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Rusty
.333 member

Reged: 08/02/03
Loc: Missouri City, Texas
      #20673 - 09/11/04 05:47 AM

Beautiful rifle, very nice trophy and a wonderfu story to boot! thanks!

--------------------
Rusty
We band of brothers!

DRSS

4seventy
Sponsor

Reged: 07/05/03
Loc: Queensland Australia
      #21200 - 23/11/04 12:30 PM

Hey, what a great hunt to christen a new aquisition!
Real nice bull.
Real nice Manton too, and looks in pretty original condition.
Good stuff!

Pages: 1

Extra information
2 registered and 125 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2202

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com