Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Help on single shot

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Single Shots & Combination Guns

Pages: 1
Mike_Bailey
.400 member

Reged: 26/02/07
Loc: GB
Help on single shot
      #205194 - 15/03/12 07:39 AM

Hi all, especially you chaps who know about German mounts, Lot 1250 at Holts on the 22nd march, see link http://auctions.holtsauctioneers.com/asp/fullcatalogue.asp?salelot=A1062+++1250+&refno=+++56352

if I acquired this could I change the scope to one where the mount did not have to wrap around the ocular ? use a 24 mill exit tube ? any ideas thank you

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Igorrock
.400 member

Reged: 01/03/07
Loc: Finland
Re: Help on single shot [Re: Mike_Bailey]
      #205207 - 15/03/12 02:55 PM

The only good way to change a scope is so that you have to find an experienced gunsmith to fit new upper rings who are suitable for your scope. This type of mounts needs allways skilled handfitting.

--------------------
http://promaakari.wordpress.com/

fuhrmann
.333 member

Reged: 04/01/05
Loc: Switzerland
Re: Help on single shot [Re: Mike_Bailey]
      #205225 - 15/03/12 07:40 PM

These appear to be Suhl claw mounts.
The forward base needs to be close to the front end of scope.
So either there is a ring around the front tube (the ocular to me is the back end close to the eye), or you use a germanic scope with bottom rails.
Changing the scope may be a major affair.
But the present scope appears to be quite OK for me - except eye relief which may be a bit short.

Fuhrmann

Edited by fuhrmann (15/03/12 07:41 PM)

450_366
.400 member

Reged: 17/01/07
Loc: Sweden, west-coast.
Re: Help on single shot [Re: fuhrmann]
      #205246 - 16/03/12 06:08 AM

You will probably need to put the front ring att the front of any scope, as you lift the rear of the scope upwards when taking it of.

And if you planning to use an low magnifying scope, you will need another front mount soldered on closer to the rear one.

German claw-mounts are sweet, but they need to be handfitted by a really good smith.

--------------------
Andreas

"Yeas it kicks like a mule he said, but always remember that its much worse standing on the other end"

Buchsemann
.333 member

Reged: 12/12/08
Loc: Wisconsin, USA
Re: Help on single shot [Re: 450_366]
      #205707 - 22/03/12 06:08 AM

Mike,

The easiest ways to add flexibility to your choice of scopes, keep the front ring off the objective lens body (when it's larger than the tube), and retain the position of the existing "claw" bases is to have a set of offset (fore and aft) claw rings or a "rail" mounted to your current bases. Both aren't necessarily the cleanest looking ways of mounting a scope but the later gives you a great deal of flexibility, allowing you to position your scope rings anywhere, within reason, along the length of the rail. To 450_366's point, the rear of the mount system has to be lifted out of the rear base (quite a ways actually) in order for the front claws to be pulled out of the front base. One has to be sure that all this can be done without the front of the mount or the scope hitting the top rib or in some cases the rear iron sight. A rail mount works out nice when the existing front base is substantially forward of the rear base and you wish to mount a shorter and often lower power scope to your gun. A rail mount with dovetail grooves or, I cringe saying this, a Pecatinny rail system provides the greatest amount of flexibility. The base configuration in example below is similar to that of the subject gun on Holts and should give you an idea of the sort of thing that can be done.

Buchseman

--------------------
Happy the man, and happy he alone,
He who can call today his own:
He who, secure within, can say,
Tomorrow do thy worst, for I have lived today.

- John Dryden

Edited by CptCurl (22/03/12 12:00 PM)

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 26 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Huvius 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4410

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com