Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Edinburgh Lass

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1
vagrouser
.300 member

Reged: 06/01/09
Loc: usa
Edinburgh Lass
      #203965 - 28/02/12 08:53 AM

Hi all,
I've been recuperating from surgery and waiting to feel well enough to take some pics of a new friend. She isn't the fanciest rifle to come out of Mr Henry's shop, but has been carefully looked after these past 129 years.

Major Crabbe ordered this .450 3 1/4" BPE with simple border engraving, but splurged on a best quality oak and leather case bearing his initials along with a monogrammed shield. From the railroad labels it looks like he made a trip or two to the Scottish Highlands for stag.

I'm not sure of Major Crabbe's fate, but I imagine his double sat unused for many years after his death. The Stanton locks are shown as removed, likely for the first time since the gun was assembled. The balance of the rifle remains in fine, original shape including the excellent damascus barrels.

I only had the chance to shoot the rifle once prior to my operation (thanks Roscoe!), but she looks good so far. I expect that the groups will converge nicely with another couple of grains of 4198. Deer season seems awfully far away now, but I'm really looking forward to heading to the woods with her this fall. This is as well a balanced rifle as I've ever handled.

Hope you all enjoy the pics and I look forward to posting some more load development work once I can get back to the range.

Edited by CptCurl (29/02/12 11:31 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
casper50
.400 member

Reged: 18/10/07
Loc: Alaska
Re: Edinburgh Lass [Re: vagrouser]
      #203966 - 28/02/12 09:09 AM

You can't beat those Henry rifles. Mine felt like it aimed itself and quality is second to none.

MikeRowe
.333 member

Reged: 23/11/11
Loc: Arkansas, USA
Re: Edinburgh Lass [Re: casper50]
      #203975 - 28/02/12 10:45 AM

You have a keeper there, sir.

Buchsemann
.333 member

Reged: 12/12/08
Loc: Wisconsin, USA
Re: Edinburgh Lass [Re: MikeRowe]
      #204028 - 29/02/12 02:56 AM

I haven't bought one yet but I sure do like the old Henrys.

Very nice and thanks for posting.

Buchseman

--------------------
Happy the man, and happy he alone,
He who can call today his own:
He who, secure within, can say,
Tomorrow do thy worst, for I have lived today.

- John Dryden

tinker
.416 member

Reged: 12/03/05
Loc: Nevada
Re: Edinburgh Lass [Re: Buchsemann]
      #204034 - 29/02/12 03:46 AM

Wow that's nice.

Consider trying the Hornady 4502 350gr RNSN
It is the best for accuracy in my JW Tolley 500/450

Cheers
Tinker

--------------------
--Self-Appointed Colonel, DRSS--

"It IS a dangerous game, and so named for a reason, and you can't play from the keyboard. " --Some Old Texan...

HeymSR20
.300 member

Reged: 23/11/11
Loc: Scotland
Re: Edinburgh Lass [Re: tinker]
      #204065 - 29/02/12 10:25 AM

That's a lovely rifle made just down the road from me. Pleased that you will be using it as her makers intended. Over here we have ridiculous laws with min velocity (2450 fps) requirement that precludes the use of such old rifles for their intended use.

vagrouser
.300 member

Re: Edinburgh Lass [Re: HeymSR20]
      #204086 - 29/02/12 03:17 PM

Thanks everyone for the comments. I'm thrilled to death with this rifle (my first BPE) and am greatly indebted to Cpt Curl for advising me in my hunt for a nice, clean example.

Roscoe has got me going with a great plinking and whitetail load, although it'll be fun to look into some other combos. Between Graeme Wright's books, Roscoe's mentoring and this board, I should be well set. I've done a lot more upland bird and ducking than deer hunting in the last few years, but am reinvigorated to get out for a nice deer, or maybe even black bear.

HeymSR, I look forward to visiting Edinburgh again. I was there several years ago, but many places were closed due to Hogmonay. It was easy walking those streets to imagine the old gun trade. Pity that such senseless regs have taken hold. BTW, welcome to the NE forum. I'm pretty much a lurker here, completely content to draw on the collective experience of the forum. Don't think you'll find a more knowledgeable or polite group.

CptCurlAdministrator
.450 member

Reged: 01/05/04
Loc: Fincastle, Botetourt County, V...
      #204105 - 29/02/12 11:37 PM

Bill,

So glad to see you have recovered enough to make this post. Next will be the shooting range!

What a fine woods gun you have there. Although plain in embellishment, it is rich in workmanship and a luxury in this day and time.

The load we tried was about the minimum load under the formulas for 4198 developed by Ross Seyfried. It shot a little wide, so a tad more powder will bring it into perfect regulation.

I seem to recall that the slight spreading was no impediment to slaying rogue balloons at 50 yards offhand.

Yes you have a treasure there. Cherish it. Congratulations! Get well so we can shoot this spring in anticipation of the fall hunt.

Curl

--------------------
RoscoeStephenson.com

YOUR DOUBLE RIFLE IS YOUR BEST FRIEND.

ChrisPer
.300 member

Reged: 12/05/08
Loc: Australia
Re: Edinburgh Lass [Re: CptCurl]
      #205411 - 18/03/12 03:44 PM

Can I ask, do those locks have rebounding hammers? Can anyone explain for me how that is implemented in the lock design?

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #205412 - 18/03/12 04:16 PM

Wouldn't it annoy you now as well as back then when some cargo ape puts a sticker on your leather gun case!

I know I had some apes in London, write in permanent texta on the bottom of some suitcases which were being freighted back home when I lived over there ....

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Edinburgh Lass [Re: NitroX]
      #205453 - 19/03/12 03:13 AM

Hey - there's a couple locks with curved plates for Tinker. Might be expensive, though.
I'm still looking.

That's a nice DR. What a great deer rifle!

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Ben
.400 member

Reged: 22/08/08
Loc: Northern Territory, Australia
Re: Edinburgh Lass [Re: DarylS]
      #205473 - 19/03/12 08:27 AM

That would've been great on red deer! I've taken a few chital with .450/.400 3" NE... It worked good. There's not a rifle on God's Earth with kick as brutal as that of a real Edinburgh Lass I know!

mehulkamdar
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/04
Loc: State of Ill-Annoy USA.
Re: Edinburgh Lass [Re: Ben]
      #205478 - 19/03/12 09:04 AM

Congratulations, Bill! Lovely old Scottish girl! Calls for a drink on me when you're in Chicago next, my friend.

Good hunting!

--------------------
The Ark was made by amateurs. Experts built the Titanic.

Mehul Kamdar

vagrouser
.300 member

Re: Edinburgh Lass [Re: mehulkamdar]
      #205498 - 19/03/12 03:21 PM

The locks are rebounding. I'll have to defer to someone more facile with their operation for an explanation of their mechanism. I'd be curious myself.

John,
I suppose I'm of a split mind on the stickers; half the fun of these old rifles is trying to divine some of their history. Certainly had that been my rifle back in the day, I don't imagine I would've been too happy to see rail stickers pasted on an expensive new case. Now, more than 100 years later, I guess it makes me pleased to think of the owner clanking on the rails with hopes of a good stag.

Mehul,
Good to hear from you friend and looking forward to our next get together myself!

Bill

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #205532 - 19/03/12 10:47 PM

Quote:

John,
I suppose I'm of a split mind on the stickers; half the fun of these old rifles is trying to divine some of their history. Certainly had that been my rifle back in the day, I don't imagine I would've been too happy to see rail stickers pasted on an expensive new case. Now, more than 100 years later, I guess it makes me pleased to think of the owner clanking on the rails with hopes of a good stag.

Yes interesting on a vintage case from a historical angle.

Annoying at the time I think.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 51 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 6684

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com