Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Regarding Group

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1
bonanza
.400 member

Reged: 17/05/04
Loc: South Carolina
Regarding Group
      #20344 - 02/11/04 01:46 AM

Finally got my .375H&H to regulate with 300 grain bullets. Six shot group 2.4" at 50y but is slightly low. I shoot an oval target where the 10 ring is 2" wide and 3" tall. I got 5 in the 10 ring and one in the 9, but they clusterd around 5 o-clock. My 270s and 235s cluster in the 10 ring perfectly.

How can I raise the group without opening it up?

--------------------

"Speak Precisely" G. Gordon Liddy.

"Life is absurd, chaotic and we must define its purpose with our actions" Abert Camus

"I''m the dude playing a dude disguised as another dude."

"Yo! Mr. White"

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
DUGABOY1
.400 member

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: TEXAS USA
Re: Regarding Group [Re: bonanza]
      #20347 - 02/11/04 04:18 AM

In reply to:

Finally got my .375H&H to regulate with 300 grain bullets. Six shot group 2.4" at 50y but is slightly low. I shoot an oval target where the 10 ring is 2" wide and 3" tall. I got 5 in the 10 ring and one in the 9, but they clusterd around 5 o-clock. My 270s and 235s cluster in the 10 ring perfectly.

How can I raise the group without opening it up?

Bonanza , I would adjust my sights to the 300 gr load, and use nothing but 300 gr bullets, in your double rifle! I have never seen the sense in useing light bullets, in a 375 H&H rifle, they will do nothing better than the 300s, so the 300 gr is my only weight in my, several, 375 H&H rifles!

If you simply have to use light bullets in your 375, then they should be your second choice, the 300s are what is required for dangerous game!

NE 450 No2 has found that useing a bullet that is 75% of the weight of your heavy bullet, (in this case the 300 gr), with the same powder charge for heavy bullet, will usually regulate the same as the big bullet! A 225 gr bullet is 75% of a 300 gr bullet, so useing your 235 gr with the same powder charge as the 300 gr bullet should work for practice, and shooting at paper!

--------------------
..........Mac >>>===(x)===>
DUGABOY1, and MacD37 founding member of DRSS www.doublerifleshooterssociety.com
"If I die today, I have had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"

bonanza
.400 member

Re: Regarding Group [Re: DUGABOY1]
      #20349 - 02/11/04 04:50 AM

I use 235 speers for practice and small game. I've loaded up 270 barnes TSX for non DG, like elk, moose, deer, etc. were a little extra down range velocity is nice to have, besides they shoot so damn nice in this gun. The 300 woodleighs will be for DR - as you suggested.

Maybe I'll drop the load 1/2 grain to raise the poi at the expense of a slighty larger group.

I'm loath to file the sight.

Finally - this is a DR. And to be able to have it regulate with 3 bullet weights is an plus in my book.

--------------------

"Life is absurd, chaotic and we must define its purpose with our actions" Abert Camus

"Yo! Mr. White"

new_guy
Sponsor

Reged: 10/08/04
Loc: Texas
Re: Regarding Group [Re: bonanza]
      #20432 - 04/11/04 08:01 AM

depending on your rifle's front sight configuration, you could install a shorter front bead. that would maintian the regulation and enable your hold to be a little higher.

also, i just received a chapuis 375 that was regulated with kynoch ammo - 300gr woodleighs.

i'd be interested to know what your gun was regulated with and what load you used to get there.

--------------------
www.heymUSA.com

bonanza
.400 member

Re: Regarding Group [Re: new_guy]
      #20433 - 04/11/04 08:25 AM

The merkel comes with a very stout partridge style blade that would need to be filed. I've played with powder and loads enough to be convinced that I should be able to move the group with load only.

My gun was regulated with good ole Federal premium with 300 grain trophy bonded bear claws.

--------------------

"Yo! Mr. White"

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 89 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1482

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com