Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Chunky Chunky

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Muzzleloaders & Blackpowder

Pages: 1
CowboyCS
.333 member

Reged: 05/10/07
Loc: Kansas u.S.A.
Chunky Chunky
      #203013 - 20/02/12 03:40 PM

Most of the people who call me are usually looking for an English Stalking Rifle(single or Double), a late period American Rifle or a very Big Bore rifle...so I don't get to build very many Flintlocks. Once in a while though I get a customer who wants a specific flintlock built.

This is a .40 Caliber Chunk Rifle with a few special touches that the customer wanted.

The Barrel is an Ed Rayl, .40 Caliber, 48 inches long, 1.250" Flat to Flat with 1:62 twist. This makes for a very heavy barrel.
Lock is a Chambers Ketland.
Trigger is R.E. Davis.
Rear Sight is stepped chunk sight.
I hand forged the butt plate to match pictures the customer sent me. The Triggerguad I made in three pieces and soldered together, then set copper rivets...this was also made to match a set of pictures he provided. I also made the front sight and the iron forearm cap and Ramrod pipes and entry pipe. I also made the "t" plate on the off side and the wear plate.
The Stock is Sugar Maple stained with Chambers Nut Brown and finished in oil.
The metal is browned with R.E. Davis rust brown and oil finished.
The only engraving is my makers mark and some letter engraving the customer requested on the "t" plate and the rear sight.
Overall length is 63.5 inches and it weighs 21.5 pounds(hence the Chunky Chunky title) the rest of the specs(LOP, DOC, DOH, etc..) were built to his measurements.

I didn't do any precision load work up or file the sights, since this is a chunk rifle the customer will want to do the fine tuning himself for final load work and sight in. But I did run a ten shot string through it just to make sure everything was working fine and get a rough idea of how it was going to shoot.

Enough typing here's the pics:

Enjoy,

Colin

--------------------
The Bill of Rights- Void were prohibited by law
Stolzer & Son's Gunsmithing

Edited by CptCurl (19/03/12 11:30 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Tatume
.400 member

Reged: 09/06/07
Loc: Gloucester, Va USA
Re: Chunky Chunky [Re: CowboyCS]
      #203043 - 20/02/12 10:28 PM

Very nicely done.

--------------------
Take care, Tom
NRA Life Member

DarylSModerator
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Chunky Chunky [Re: Tatume]
      #203062 - 21/02/12 03:26 AM

The butt will be more shoulder friendly than a hooked butt plate, that's for sure. Even though heavy, the little bump every shot can become painful before 10 are away, when shooting prone with a chunk.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Tatume
.400 member

Re: Chunky Chunky [Re: DarylS]
      #203090 - 21/02/12 08:26 AM

If the gun was truly a chunk gun, I would use a free-recoil technique, just like I do with centerfire and rimfire benchrest guns. However, 21.5 pounds is pretty light for a chunk gun, and neither the forend nor the buttstock appear adapted to rest shooting. Personally, I've always wanted a chunk gun, but don't relish the idea of having to use a hand truck to transport the gun from my pickup to the firing line, not do I wish to have to depend on someone to help me pick up a sixty pound rifle. Such considerations limit the already minimal utility of such an arm. :-)

Take care, Tom

DarylSModerator
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
      #203095 - 21/02/12 09:45 AM

I put on a chunk shoot ever year at the Hefley Creek 10 day Rendezvous. Only trail walk, hunting-type rifles are allowed. 50 yards, 10 shot string. It was won with about a 4 1/4" string, last year. Considering the major events in the States are won with mid 3" strings, 4 1/4" string with a 7 1/2 to 8 pound rifle isn't too shabby. It just happened to be a .40. The previous year, my bro won using his 10 pound .50 Virginia rifle.

Chunk is a lot of fun, and not as easy as most who haven't shot it, would think.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Tatume
.400 member

Re: Chunky Chunky [Re: DarylS]
      #203105 - 21/02/12 11:25 AM

Hmmm. I hadn't realized that chunk gun shooting and "over the log" shooting had come to be used synonymously. One can certainly shoot an over-the-log match with a chunk gun, and that was the reason they were built. But you can hold such a match and disallow chunk guns too, which in my opinion is what you have. But it’s only a matter of semantics, not something to worry over.

Here are a couple of photos of what I think of when I hear the words “chunk gun.” They often weigh 35 – 60 pounds, and can be a serious handful to tip up and load.

http://overthelog.tripod.com/chunkgun/

Take care, Tom

CowboyCS
.333 member

Reged: 05/10/07
Loc: Kansas u.S.A.
      #203109 - 21/02/12 12:42 PM

Thanks for the compliments guys.

Most of the guys I know that are shooting chunk(over the log) are using a southern style rifle, that is in the 15 to 25 pound weight. Quite a few of them are shooting 45's and 50 caliber rifles.

Colin

--------------------
The Bill of Rights- Void were prohibited by law
Stolzer & Son's Gunsmithing

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  DarylS 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3987

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com