Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Lion shot with Paradox

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Paradox and Bore Guns

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
500Nitro
.450 member

Reged: 06/01/03
Loc: Victoria, Australia
Re: Lion shot with Paradox [Re: NitroX]
      #199622 - 16/01/12 04:53 PM

Most of the Buffalo I shoot are on fenced farms / properties,
it doesn't keep them in and it doesn't keep those on the outside from coming in either !!! (Especially bulls chasing cows !!!)

As you know, we use vehicles / quads etc to muster and we shoot some like this - however we have a policy of getting off / away from the vehicle, no shooting from within or on the quad. However they certainly don't hang around just because we are on a quad.

However we also go for walking hunts - much more fun.

Re WV, the easiest way to get deer is sit on the boundary fence, the deer hop over, bang, dead, wait for the next one. (The location even has a name, it's called Murder Gully for obvious reasons !!! This only applies to cull animals and females but it just shows how even the 6ft fences don't hold them in. The deer are as wild as the one's that never go into WV.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Lion shot with Paradox [Re: 500Nitro]
      #199624 - 16/01/12 05:12 PM

When I was there, several years ago, the rusa acted like deer farm releasees ... so the animals do behave differently, depending on where they came from I guess. And maybe the species.

Don't know "murder gully", you know the place better than me. Ha ha only joking. I've only been there a couple of times plus another for a "game drive" years ago.

Also re your comment regarding buffalo and fences, are you talking about high wire fences or normal cattle fences. Big difference usually.

However when hunting Namibia Karl and I watched a stupid gemsbok which couldn't work out how to get over or under a normal height farm fence for cattle or sheep. The others had got over or under it easily. Now if that animal was running away from a predator or a hunter, it would sail over that fence easily.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
      #199635 - 16/01/12 06:43 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Nitro, you can parse the terms all you want.

Shooting a bunch of critters of whatever ilk inside a fence of whatever acreage is canned.

Good grief, there's big enough hunting country for you there in Australia to know the difference between a true fair chase hunt and a duck shoot in a bucket.

Lions in a cage or plains game in a high fenced ranch is a mere few steps apart.

Anyone who has done both certainly knows it's true, and anyone who's done one or the other that can walk and chew gum at the same time has enough smarts to infer the same.

Rod,

I'm more into personal experience. Can you relate your South African hunts and how they were done, free range or fenced or whatever, for all our enlightenment?

I'll stick to my earlier comment "Rubbish", I don't think you know what you are talking about, nor even how to define the words, 'canned', 'non fair chase" etc.

Sure;

I lived in RSA for a time in the late '80's. I've hunted on ranches {not high fenced} in northern Zululand and also on a high fenced ranch near Umfolozi Game Reserve. I also hunted in the Karkloof Mountains "out my back door" so-to-speak.

I'm also a Life Member of the Kwazulu-Natal Hunting and Conservation Association so I try to keep pretty well up to speed with the goings on elsewhere in that Province and to a lesser degree throughout the country. It's been years, but I travelled pretty much the length and breadth of the country when I put 5,000 KM on a rental car, visiting quite a variety of ranches that offered a variety of hunts.

In addition, I spent a summer in then-Zaïre in 1980. Not game rich country by any means, but there were some buffalo and a very few elephant in some of the areas I was in. And duiker and the like.

Here, the locals laugh at those who hunt behind fences, and my friends who own a ranch in Texas understand why. A 130 class whitetail shot in the woods in north Idaho is a far sight better a trophy than a 170 class ranch deer down there. Yes, true enough, you would get laughed out of Drifters for playing with your silly words "canned" and "non-fair chase" as if any of those who actually hunt here care what you think the difference is. We don't, as it's all the same to us. Just stating the facts. Parse the words as you wish.

For myself, I see no moral difference in shoving the barrel of your favorite Nitro double thru a gate of the cage and up the arse of a lion and yanking the trigger and killing one under "fair chase" conditions. Ethics may come into play, and certainly law, but not "morals". In fact, from my perspective, I couldn't care less if you did it to the last lion on earth. To me they are more or less vermin and the more moral thing to do in many places is to kill them with whatever chemical toxicant is cheapest, most available and effective tho if you want them around, your point in a previous less insulting post was correct; penned and caged lion may in fact be the life blood of future "wild" {define it as you wish} lion populations.

As far as killing plains game behind fences or inside the wire in Texas, I have no particular problem with it for somebody else. Having done it, to be frank, I feel a little embarassed. Not saying there is no place on earth where such hunting isn't a guaranteed thing, just saying that most places it is.

I suppose we have all done things we are not entirely proud of, and truthfully, some of the past hunts I was on in RSA sort of fall into that category in spite of the fact that you might see things differently. That's fine, and I certainly wish the industry no ill, tho I no longer have much interest in it myself.

I've also hunted in New Jersey, Indiana, Michigan, Alabama, Kentucky, Washington, California, Illinois and of course here in Idaho. And chased some birds on an estate in Skåne, Sweden.

If you are ever in the area, feel free to stop by. We can hunt whatever is in season. Bring an oxygen tank if you want to keep up with me. You'll damn sure need it.

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Lion shot with Paradox [Re: 9.3x57]
      #199637 - 16/01/12 07:00 PM

Quote:

In fact, from my perspective, I couldn't care less if you did it to the last lion on earth. To me they are more or less vermin and the more moral thing to do in many places is to kill them with whatever chemical toxicant is cheapest, most available and effective tho if you want them around,

Not surprised you hold these ideas.

Quote:

your point in a previous less insulting post was correct;

Mmmnmm, you the hypocrite talks about "insulting" when what I used in my reply was all taken from your own posts. Other than saying "Rubbish" to your post.

BTW here's a hint ...

--------------------
John aka NitroX

9.3x57
.450 member

#199640 - 16/01/12 07:15 PM

Any more questions?

So, are you saying I don't know what I'm talking about?

Or are you saying I do but disagree with your views?

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#199641 - 16/01/12 07:21 PM

You've had your say. I've had my say.

I now say the post returns to topic.

Either the paradox gun, or the shooting of a lion which appears to be 'out of step' to put it mildly.

Continue digging if you wish however.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

9.3x57
.450 member

#199643 - 16/01/12 07:26 PM

Quote:

or the shooting of a lion which appears to be 'out of step' to put it mildly.

Agreed, or putting it bluntly, plumb 'out of the jeep'!

--------------------

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#199645 - 16/01/12 07:30 PM

Yes we can agree on that.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

gatsby
.375 member

Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: inland valley CA USA
      #199679 - 16/01/12 10:51 PM

I have always believed ones ethics are his own. What is “canned” hunting or not“fair chase” can start to get somewhat blurred at times. Shooting game from a stand or blind over bait, the use of bait or food to attract the desired game, the use of dogs, large scopes,ultramag cartridges and long range shooting, archery hunting, European lodge type hunting, hunting private land where game is funneled or attracted to specific areas, hunting non native game placed specifically to hunt in high fenced areas, South American bird hunting where piles of birds are killed by a single shooter and so on have all been termed unsporting or unfair at one time or another. I have participated in some of the above.
As to the shooting of this lion with the Nowatny;
There is an attempt to convict the shooter in the clip in abstensia and without representation of a variety of accusations and personal attacks.
I am not here as his representative. I can be a witness as to when (what year) the castings for the gun were done and to state my opinion of the believability of the shooter. He is someone who I admire and respect, if he states the shooting was necessary, I believe it. I don’t know if a resolution or agreement on the Lion and the Paradox or The Lion Shooting Paradox will be reached on this forum, there is just too little first hand information.

--------------------
"Recoil is insignificant when there is a tiger on the head of your elephant" The Maharaja of Cooch Behar

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Lion shot with Paradox [Re: gatsby]
      #199709 - 17/01/12 04:46 AM

Had a local hunter, disenchanted with gun shooting Spring bears, disenchanted with his compound bow shooting Spring bears, borrowed an Indian Spear from my Brother that had a decently wide blade that Taylor had forged.

Bob practised with it all winter, took it to Taylor for sharpening 'come spring' and then went out, stalked and 'stuck' his Spring Black bear with it. Perfect "Throw" at about 6'. The spear made a gash actually he put his boot into, with the exit hole even larger.

That was fair chase in anyone's book. HA!- Masi of NA.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

jaz
.300 member

Reged: 21/10/05
Loc: Northeast US
Re: Lion shot with Paradox [Re: DarylS]
      #202787 - 17/02/12 11:35 PM

Since I started the post it has taken a different turn, from questions about guns to ethics...
For the record, I am with 9.3 on this, it is a personal decision.
I have hunted Africa and Europe, but there is no satisfaction like being dropped off on your own from a plane in the middle of Alaska and hunting on your own. You are left to take care of yourself and hunt.
What bothers me most is the technology that has crept into our sport. The automatic camera's piss me off most. I don't even like hunting video's as I believe taking the life any animal is a personal thing, not to be exploited.
But these are my own views. One thing for sure, your views will change as you get older.
JZ

Mike_Bailey
.400 member

Reged: 26/02/07
Loc: GB
      #202789 - 17/02/12 11:48 PM

Quote:

Nitro, you can parse the terms all you want.

Shooting a bunch of critters of whatever ilk inside a fence of whatever acreage is canned.

sorry, but this is silly, I hunt on a finca 45 mins away, 9000 hectares (about 23,000 acres). It has a fence around it for two reasons, to stop poachers and to try to prevent deer/boar running across roads though that doesn´t always work hence the signs everywhere on the roads showing "Danger Deer". By your definition anyone shooting in the UK is shooting canned since it is an island and I don´t think deer can swim the channel !? best, Mike

9.3x57
.450 member

Re: Lion shot with Paradox [Re: Mike_Bailey]
      #202798 - 18/02/12 02:01 AM

Quote:

By your definition anyone shooting in the UK is shooting canned since it is an island and I don´t think deer can swim the channel !? best, Mike

Correct, but not because it is an "island".

--------------------

HogPilot
.300 member

Reged: 26/05/09
Loc: Texas
      #202812 - 18/02/12 04:42 AM

Quote:

I have always believed ones ethics are his own. What is “canned” hunting or not“fair chase” can start to get somewhat blurred at times. Shooting game from a stand or blind over bait, the use of bait or food to attract the desired game, the use of dogs, large scopes,ultramag cartridges and long range shooting, archery hunting, European lodge type hunting, hunting private land where game is funneled or attracted to specific areas, hunting non native game placed specifically to hunt in high fenced areas, South American bird hunting where piles of birds are killed by a single shooter and so on have all been termed unsporting or unfair at one time or another. I have participated in some of the above.
As to the shooting of this lion with the Nowatny;
There is an attempt to convict the shooter in the clip in abstensia and without representation of a variety of accusations and personal attacks.
I am not here as his representative. I can be a witness as to when (what year) the castings for the gun were done and to state my opinion of the believability of the shooter. He is someone who I admire and respect, if he states the shooting was necessary, I believe it. I don’t know if a resolution or agreement on the Lion and the Paradox or The Lion Shooting Paradox will be reached on this forum, there is just too little first hand information.

Gatsby,

I've tried to back out of this conversation as it just doesn't seem to be going anywhere positive but I want to make one last attempt. First let me say, from reading many of your posts on other threads here, I think you personally are a fine individual. My opinion may not interest you at this point, but I want to make that clear.

I do think you are missing the salient point here however. You and I may disagree over when the video was filmed, but that is also not the issue. I don't have a problem with the South African Lion Hunting per se as I do believe it is a personal choice regarding ethics.

Where I have a problem is that many, if not most, SA Lion outfitters deceive hunters who are novices at African hunting into believing they are doing something that they are not (ie hunting a wild lion). Many of these novice hunters don't even realize that the animals they are pursuing are captive bred and raised. They often have been led to believe that the lion was bred in captivity, similar to the AI deer herds in Texas, then turned loose at an early age and have been fending for themselves all their life within the pen. They are unaware that many of the animals shot are done so while still under the influence of the drugs necessary to tranquilize them for loading on the truck to be released into the "hunting area". The cats are most often found within a few yards of where they were dropped off.

This deception is one of the main problems I have with this episode. Then, with a bit of a line fed to the hunter, he makes up a story to tell his friends of how brave he was in facing down the problem animal that had to be shot under any and all circumstances. I've heard it soooo toooo many times! I can't count the number of times I've heard a guy say he had to shoot the animal because it was charging them in the truck when if fact, it was running to the truck in anticipation of being offered a couple of live chickens.

Hearing your buddy say that "Obviously, we had to shoot" is just the same old story. To fail to acknowledge it is to show a lack of knowledge of how these "hunts" are conducted. That is the ethical issue I have with this video as I have been around captive bred lions and I've been around wild lions and there is absolutely NO indication in this video of the "need" to shot the lion.

So that brings us to the next issue. If there was no "need" to shoot the lioness, there was a desire to shoot it, after all, it was a "Lion Hunt". Ok, that's fine. No problem. But there are laws as to how these hunts are to be conducted. Let's look at this logically and work thru the issue:

In countries where wild lion exists, even if one would sit for you to drive the truck up close, it is ILLEGAL to shoot from the truck. In ALL instances, unless it were a self defense issue.

In South Africa, where this obviously took place, it is legal to shoot from the truck. But it is ILLEGAL to shoot large predators as defined by TOPS regulations, from a truck, unless it were a self defense issue. The lioness was not threatening the truck prior to the first shot, therefore there is no self defense issue here. What we have is a South African PH / Lion Operator who encouraged your friend to shoot from the truck, probably because he was scared to approach on foot. Then he fed him a line or two about how he knew the cat was about to charge so "we obviously had to shoot" in order to justify shooting from the truck, which is ILLEGAL. Your buddy took that and ran with the story so that he could tell his friends. Anyone with experience hunting African dangerous game, outside of the Republic of South Africa, will recognize this in short order.

So, from the logic standpoint that there was no self defense requirement to shoot at this place and time, and that since it is ILLEGAL to shoot from the truck except in the case of self defense, I am less interested in the type of weapon and or ammo used than I am in the circumstances under which it was used, which to anyone with a little experience of hunting dangerous game on the African continent, can clearly see was done outside the requirements of the law.

So now the main point. In this case, the deception which is so common in the South African Lion Hunting Industry, of convincing the novice hunter that his life is in danger or that he is shooting a problem animal that has to be killed at all costs, in an attempt to get him to feel justified in shooting a canned cat, has now led your friend to unwittingly shoot a cat in violation of the law. Have you questioned your friend about any of the issues brought up on this forum? Have you asked him, "what behavior led you to believe that you HAD to shoot at that moment?", "why did the truck not just drive away and the hunting party approach the cat on foot?", "Was it because you attempted to drive away several times only to have the lioness run along side the truck, with each time you stopped, the cat approached and laid down as if expecting to be fed?", "what were you told about the conduct of the hunt prior to getting into the truck that day?", "what were you told the hunt conditions were prior to booking the hunt?", "did you ride in the truck for a couple of hours prior to 'sighting' the cat's tracks, just before the cat itself appeared from the brush only to have the PH tell you the cat looks disturbed and we need to be extremely careful here?", etc. I could go on for days here.

I'm not having an issue with your buddy per se as much as the outfitter who set him up and put him in this position.

gatsby
.375 member

Re: Lion shot with Paradox [Re: HogPilot]
      #202829 - 18/02/12 08:57 AM

Anything I say concerning this incident are my opinions and my opinions alone.

What you say about the lion hunting industry in SA may be true. I am not sure how many if any of your conclusions based on your knowledge of that industry apply to this incident. I think you have misread the intent of posting the clip and therefore you may have drawn inaccurate conclusions about the hunter from that. There was no intent to show bravado.
Whether there was a need to shoot or not and if there was not a need to shoot is where we disagree. The PH and the hunter are the only ones who know all the circumstances regarding their decision to take that shot. You likened the shooting of the lion in another post as similar to a drive-by with an antique weapon. If there were any “crimes” committed in shooting from the vehicle I see it more as a traffic infraction therefore it is less a concern for me as it is to you. I don’t know if we can reconcile that.

--------------------
"Recoil is insignificant when there is a tiger on the head of your elephant" The Maharaja of Cooch Behar

HogPilot
.300 member

Reged: 26/05/09
Loc: Texas
      #202830 - 18/02/12 09:20 AM

We possibly cannot reconcile that. And if so, I guess we'll just have to disagree. But I can tell you that it is considered more than a "Traffic" offense to illegally shoot from the vehicle. Especially if the hunter in question is a US Citizen. It would be more likely to be a Lacey Act offense which is a Felony in the US. Possibly hard to prosecute if he didn't import the cat. But if he did, and the USFWS were to take note, he could be in serious trouble. Not to mention that he probably has a completely different take on the incident today than at the time.

That's why I asked if you had spoken with him about how the hunt went down. I've seen so many of these hunters, myself included, who came home proud of their lion only to have the reality of how the outfitters deceive the first times into shooting one of these cats. He probably didn't know it is illegal to shoot from a truck and he probably didn't have a clue about Lion behavior, or the outfitters' behavior either. But because of the way these hunts are presented to the new guy, your friend has broken the law, even though he didn't know it at the time. I'll just bet he has a different opinion of the hunt today than when he participated in it.

Why not ask him?

gatsby
.375 member

Re: Lion shot with Paradox [Re: HogPilot]
      #202833 - 18/02/12 09:49 AM

Did you ever meet someone who began shooting and took up reloading and after awhile reloading became a larger focus for that person more so than the original hobby of shooting? Well that's me when it comes to these old guns. I hunt but the antique guns have become more of a focus for me.
Shooting a mt. lion in CA is a felony. I can't even bring in a hide legally hunted in a neighboring state. I think that's a felony also. It wasn't always that way and I think the law will change again one day. The legal system is funny like that.

--------------------

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#202838 - 18/02/12 10:58 AM

I think the same things in this thread are now just being repeated.

Time to close it.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 10 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  tinker 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 30926

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com