Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: "Loaded for Bear"

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Muzzleloaders & Blackpowder

Pages: 1
Smoke73
.300 member

Reged: 30/05/11
Loc: Rocky Mtn. House Alberta
"Loaded for Bear"
      #201749 - 05/02/12 04:07 PM

Anyone have any info on loading a muzzleloader for bear. Referring to the practice of double balling. I've tried it twice with my wifes inline .50 (I know Darryl). Balls impacting 1" apart at 50 yards when pushed by 80gns 777. Anyone tried a three ball load?

--------------------
Your not tired, you just think your tired, you don't even know what the hell tired is.- Garth Ahlstrom (Thanx Dad love ya)

"When one of them is born, their god says ' Go in peace.'
When one of us is born our Gods say "Go hunting."- J. Emmett Willie

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
tinker
.416 member

Reged: 12/03/05
Loc: Nevada
Re: "Loaded for Bear" [Re: Smoke73]
      #201750 - 05/02/12 04:33 PM

Any caliber that starts with a 6 or a 7 should do as long as it hits something important.

I have not attempted loading multiple small bore projectiles in a muzzle loading or breech loading black powder rifle.

Are you going after black bear?

Cheers
Tinker

--------------------
--Self-Appointed Colonel, DRSS--

"It IS a dangerous game, and so named for a reason, and you can't play from the keyboard. " --Some Old Texan...

DarylSModerator
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: "Loaded for Bear" [Re: tinker]
      #201763 - 06/02/12 12:20 AM

One of the troubles with loading more than one ball, if using patch combinations that actually seal in the grooves, the air comressed between the balls has no where to go and will actually push the next ball back up the bore - as much as 4 to 10". That creates an obstruction for when the gun is fired - not a good situation.

I've tested double ball loads in 4 of my guns including the 20 bore, smoothbore - it was the worst for pushing the ball back up the bore due to the reduced friction of having no rifling. I had to use very thin cloth to allow the escape of the air between the balls. It wasn't fun to shoot at 640gr. per 'projectile' in a 7 1/2 pound flintlock.

My .14 bore English Style rifle, a caplock, will push the ball & ramrod back up off the powder about 8" if the hammer is not raised to 1/2 cock before seating the patched ball. A rough bore might not do that.

A single round ball of .490" or .495" will kill a black bear - easily. .40cal and .45 cal, much more popular in muzzleloading rifles than a .50 - back in the 1700's and early 1800's, killed black bears just fine. Even orders for rifles from the 'plains' in the 1800's were asking for rifles in the 80 to 40 balls to the pound calibres more often than not. These are equivalent to .38 to 48calibre. Rifles of .50 cal and above, were primarily for heavier game, like buffalo and elk in windy conditions and longer ranges.

The bullet shooting rifle makers, ie: inline makers would have you believe you cannot kill a large game animal with a single round ball. This is not the truth - their word is not trustworthy. They are in the business of selling bolt actioned rifles that are loaded from the muzzle, so technically, they can be called muzzleloading rifles. They have button rifled barrels of a form designed to be cheap to make with shallow rifling for shooting slugs, not round balls. The rifling twists are usually 28" to 32", again, not suitable, really, for shooting round balls. I have heard of some inline owners trying round balls for plinking to cut costs and actually get some practise without breaking the bank. The makers of these guns don't like this, as they'd rather you shot their expensive plastic jackets with expensive guilding metal jacketed bullets. They do not want you to shoot cheap round balls as they don't make any money if you do that.

80gr. of power is not a hunting load in a .50 - barely makes it as a 25yard plinking load. A .50 usually requires 110gr. to 120gr. of powder to deliver it's best accuracy with an oily or greased patch - in a round ball rifle, due to cut rifled, 48" or slower twist barrels. Water based lubes are not suitable for hunting as they WILL cause rusting. Oils and greases require/demand you use more powder to maintain accuracy. For example, both my .40 and.45 rifles demand an extra 10gr. of powder if I switch to an oiled patch from spit or other water based lube. My 14 bore rifle doesn't seem to care what lube is used as it shoots to the sights (regulates) with both water based and oil based lubes - identically.

In the early to mid 1800's on the Western Plains, it was said the .50 cal. round ball was fully capable for killing a grizzly bear. You merely shot him up through the open mouth.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Smoke73
.300 member

Re: "Loaded for Bear" [Re: DarylS]
      #201767 - 06/02/12 01:06 AM

I do understand your thoughts on heavy powder charges especially when using a rifle with a proper round ball twist. However our 50 cal inline with 1:28 twist loves 80 grains of H777 behind a patched roundball. Decent groups at 75 paces (2 inch with poor open sights) and travel at a chrono'ed 1953fps. At least she has the roundball part right Darryl. Those plastic sabots suck and she new that straight away. Hard to load and foul barrels like crazy.

And yes Tinker we chase the black woollies every spring. As soon as I put a .72 cal ball through one I'm going to "borrow" my wife's .50 and drive two through another.

--------------------
Your not tired, you just think your tired, you don't even know what the hell tired is.- Garth Ahlstrom (Thanx Dad love ya)

tinker
.416 member

#201778 - 06/02/12 03:37 AM

Smoke-

As the old whitebeards up on the ridge say: "...every last one of them..!!"

Let us know how you do with two in that .50
I think Daryl has a fine point on air compression and care taken in your load column.
Might want to do some experimentation to ensure you get a safe loading process.

Your velocity with 80gr on one ball sounds pretty zippy!

Cheers
Tinker

--------------------

"It IS a dangerous game, and so named for a reason, and you can't play from the keyboard. " --Some Old Texan...

Smoke73
.300 member

#202040 - 09/02/12 01:28 PM

Went out and shot at 50 yard target off the bench. thought i would share the target to show off ball spread. Hit was more good luck than good management.

Love the kids homemade targets for dad. Price is right.

--------------------

Edited by CptCurl (19/03/12 11:24 AM)

tinker
.416 member

#202042 - 09/02/12 01:43 PM

Hm.
I think more spread would be better, or the weight spent better on a bigger ball.

...another perspective might say "...nice group"...

Cheers
Tinker

--------------------

Smoke73
.300 member

#202046 - 09/02/12 02:17 PM

Usually I get about an inch spread. I tried 100 grains tonight and it spread about 3" at 50. i think I will keep playing with the combo and see if I can consistently get 1-2 inches at fifty. Really want to try a tri-ball load, think I'll strap it to a tire the first go.

--------------------

DarylSModerator
.700 member

#202092 - 10/02/12 03:38 AM

I am also surprised you achieved over 1,900fps for the double ball load. I would not have expected that.

If you get an air space between any of the balls, you stand a very good chance of losing your left hand - and maybe eye sight - or worse as well. I would not do it, myself.

If you want to shoot round balls into bears, buy a Lyman GPR in .54 and revel in having one of the best large game calibres there is. .54's work very well on everything up to and incuding elk and moose - even at ranges in excess of one's ability to hit them correctly as I witnessed a hunter pull off many years ago - 170yard bull moose. Piled up in a 40 yard dash.

--------------------
Daryl

Smoke73
.300 member

#202113 - 10/02/12 01:03 PM

Sorry for the misunderstanding Daryl but the the 1900 fps was for a single ball. I was just trying to point out that the 1-28" twist can be used for a single round ball at high velocity, at least in this gun but o have heard of several people having success. I do understand your concern with the ball climbing back up the tube. On that I think I will machine up a new brass ramrod with a permanent ring at the proper loaded depth.

--------------------

Edited by Smoke73 (11/02/12 07:30 AM)

DarylSModerator
.700 member

#202173 - 11/02/12 02:32 AM

Sounds good. If the first ball has a 'less than sealing patch', the air can escape out the breech, as long as the rifle's modern-type system isn't a sealed unit as the air pressure must be allowed to escape out the nipple or whatever system the gun has.

The other way is if the second (top) ball's patch doesn't seal, it can allow air to escape past it's sides and out the muzzle.

It is a very real concern and even only 1/2" to 1" of air space between the balls, or between the balls and the powder can turn the gun's breech into a frag grenade.

--------------------
Daryl

Tom_H
.333 member

Reged: 13/04/05
Loc: Southeast, NY
      #202323 - 12/02/12 11:20 PM

I remember in the Lyman books from the 70s, they did some double ball tests and accuracy takes a major hit when loading double.

Tom

--------------------
Carbonation without fermentation is tyranny

DarylSModerator
.700 member

Re: "Loaded for Bear" [Re: Tom_H]
      #202335 - 13/02/12 02:28 AM

Lyman noted accuracy being poor past 25 yards. Other aquantances of mine have seen better results - however the value of such a practise is in question. A single round ball kills exceptionally well - better than a much lower velocity slug ie: a .45 round ball on deer for example, kills faster, than a 300gr. to 350gr. .45 slug. Why? - it just does - the shape of it, the cavitation through the soft tissues and velocity all promote it's killing prowess.

Increase that to .50 cal, and you have a calibre that was on the larger end of the 'ordered-from-back-East' flintlock and caplock rifles of the early 19th century. The round ball, a single ball, killed very well.

Black bears are easy to kill - just about as easy as a deer. Considering Alberta isn't known for Pennsylvania or Queen Charlotte Island-type black bears, a single ball is all that's needed. Indeed, a common ball size, ie: .38 to .47 cal. killed those out-sized black bears just fine in Pennsylvania - for close to 300years now. Most of the guys back there hunting with their flintlocks, prefer .45 cal. Some like their .40's.

--------------------
Daryl

451whitworth
.224 member

Reged: 30/11/07
Loc: MO, USA
      #202454 - 14/02/12 09:01 AM

Daryl_S,
i've shot dozens of whitetails with the Lyman 457122 aka Gould HP (330grs)out of my .451 bullet rifles (PH whitworth, PH volunteer, Rigby style) and it never fails to amaze me how great a killer it is. running shots, standing shots, all angles. the last 4 were 'bag-flops' without the spine being hit. i've never been impressed with a .45 PRB on deer having seen many shot with them. my latest whitetail project bullet is the Lyman 457121 "whitworth" mould modified to drop a 460 grain .4" deep hollow point projectile. it performs like the Gould with more penetration. shot two deer this late ML season with the 457121 HP here in the midwest, absolutely pummeled them. the other kill was with my .69 with prb and 180gr. Swiss 2fg. equal result, bang flop, no spine hit.

DarylSModerator
.700 member

Re: "Loaded for Bear" [Re: 451whitworth]
      #202468 - 14/02/12 12:51 PM

451whitworth - Glad it works for you.

The slug shooters I've seen merely wounded everything they shot at (moose)- almost without exception. That cost us our primitive weapons season.

The round balls shooters, on the other hand, killed everything they shot at (moose or deer), & with one ball, whereas the slug shooters here, used up to 4 to kill a moose. Those were the guys who actually went after them, tracking them from bed to bed, litterally shooting them "limb from limb".

I need to edit this- obviously.

One fellow used a PH Whitworth or Volunteer rifle with 480gr. soft cast FN bullets and got his moose on that special weapons trip, every year for several years until it was cancelled. The last straw according to the game branch was due to scope sighted Knight inline rifles shooting pistol bullets.

He, as you, was using a proper bullet for the job and a rifle designed for shooting bullets. The fellows who seemed incapable of killing a moose with their slugs, were shooting TC Maxiballs in TC rifles & the Italian TC knockoffs. On moose, their bullets did not travel in a straight line after impact as they bounced off bones, deflecting all over the soft tissues. A rib shot usually deflected back into the guts, or forward into the leg, or even followed the hide underneath the animal, never entering the rib cage - it was a horrific waste of moose. I heard "I got maxi's into 3 today".

"After the season" flyovers, plus metal detector examinations, convinced the game branch that muzzleloaders could not kill moose. The scoped inlines were merely the last straw. I still hate them.

The game guys sat in our camp drinking coffee the last year of that hunt. It was around -40F and a bit might chilly to leave the tent. We sat, drank coffee and they talked to us about our sport. They told us of checking 3 trucks ont he way in, everyone with a scope sighted, bolt actioned muzzleloading rifle. They told us this was the last season that it was going to be cancelled. They told us every bullet they removed from lost moose, was a lead slug with really big, deep grease grooves, and a cone point that collapsed instead of expanding. They told us the bullets they'd found, were never in line with the entrance hole, that they had bounced off the bones and didn't break any, even ribs. They told us they NEVER found a lost moose with a round ball in it, but had started finding what looked like short pistol bullets. They asked about pistol bullet shooting Knights.

They told us if everyone was hunting with guns like ours, with round balls, the season wouldn't have been cancelled. As we were the only ones out of some 25 hunters in that at that time, the season was now lost. In camp was a .69, 20 bore and a double .58 - all round ball guns, of course.

In the 1800's, for hunting purposes, slugs did not become popular until they could be loaded into ctgs. Slugs in muzzleloaders in the 1800's had a tendency of sliding up the bore and then blowing the gun up when it was fired. Slugs and muzzleloaders did not work well together in America or India for that matter. Most were hollow based in the pattern of the minnie and made for guns of all bore sizes. Those who tried them in India, quickly went back to round balls, even Samual Baker, who stated that slugs almost got him killed on several occasions with dangerous game - such that "I at length gave up the conical as useless". As long as a round ball will go through and through an Elephant's head, I see no reason to risk the 'shaking' the stock nor of the extra recoil to the shoulder.

The Whitworth, a small bore military rifle was pretty close to the only one that was suitable - if loaded with the appropriate bullets - then and today - for North American game shooting.

Back then, it was deemed too small for serious game shooting. They were right, as serious game shooting meant dangerous game. It's bore was too small to be effective. Now, there are other rifles like the Lyman with 28" twist in .50 and .54 cal. that is also suitable for NA - but there few people willing to do what is necessary in testing to make them effective.

Edited by Daryl_S (15/02/12 05:08 AM)

451whitworth
.224 member

Reged: 30/11/07
Loc: MO, USA
      #202536 - 15/02/12 01:27 PM

Daryl_S,
That is a bad deal about your moose season. I too am a student of S.W. Baker and Lt.Forsyth. Their writings influenced my choices in round ball rifles. I think we can agree that in their eyes and wealth of experience a .45 prb would be, as the British called them, a rook and rabbit rifle. As a teenager back in the 1980's my friends and I started using ML's for the special deer season as a way to get more time in the field. One friend had had a T/C Hawken .45 and used prb's. We called him "two times" because he always was having to shoot every deer twice with it. He did get a T/C Renegade .54 years later and the prb penetration problems disapeared. He now shoots an inline but we still hunt together.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 4 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  DarylS 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 6167

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com