Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Mark Sullivan's .700 NE

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
clark7781
.375 member

Reged: 28/10/04
Loc: Fairfax County, Virginia, USA
Mark Sullivan's .700 NE
      #20084 - 28/10/04 06:46 AM

Gentlepeople:

I'm new to this website and first wanted to say that I love this place! I just moved into the double rifle category with a purchase of a Merkel .500 NE 3" (I know, not a great gun but I love it none the same) and am learning a lot about double rifles from all of you.

I do have a question. In reviewing the posts, I saw that the famous (some would say infamous) PH Mark Sullivan is having/has had made a .700 NE. If this is true I was wondering if anyone has seen the weapon in question?

I saw two of Mark's videos, one being where he introduced his .600. I can't say I personally approve of the man's tactics, but to each is own--just my opinion.

Again, nice to meet everyone and I look forward to learning more from each of you over the time I spend here.

Respectfully,

Clark

--------------------
Clark

Double Rifle Shooters Society
.500 NE and .577 NE

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
4seventy
Sponsor

Reged: 07/05/03
Loc: Queensland Australia
Re: Mark Sullivan's .700 NE [Re: clark7781]
      #20087 - 28/10/04 08:23 AM

Clark, welcome.
Re MS's 700 NE, it was by Watson Brothers and he had it up for sale about a year or so back.
It was featured in his book on double rifles.
His Thys 600 NE is certainly a nice gun I reckon.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #20088 - 28/10/04 09:25 AM

Welcome Clark,

A .500 3" NE double in a Merkel sounds very fine to me.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

nitro476
.300 member

Reged: 21/10/04
      #20094 - 28/10/04 10:32 AM

I know Mark personally and can only say " That he is just trying to survive in a very competetive business". I don't really agree with his tactics myself but who am I to judge. His book is well written and I would suggest that anyone interested in African hunting should read it! It is very well done.

DUGABOY1
.400 member

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: TEXAS USA
      #20130 - 29/10/04 02:46 AM

In reply to:

I'm new to this website and first wanted to say that I love this place! I just moved into the double rifle category with a purchase of a Merkel .500 NE 3" (I know, not a great gun but I love it none the same) and am learning a lot about double rifles from all of you.

Clark7781,Welcome to Nitro Express hunting and shooting forums, you'll enjoy this place.

You don't need to appologize to anyone for owning a Merkel 500 NE 3". The only people you hear downing the Merkel rifles are, most times, people who have never owned one, or people who have something to sell, that can't compete with Merkel's priceing, and offer the same quality at the same time! There is no doubt,there are better double rifles than the Merkel product,and some that cost more but are not better. I own now,and have owned several Merkel products over the years, and I have never had one problem with any of them! They are value for the dollars spent! Would I rather have a best grade Westley Richards? yes, and I do, but the Merkel is a working rifle, at a working rifle price!

Many people really dislike Mark Sullivan! That being said, some of those folks dislike him, because they can't afford to hunt with him. Some because he is successful, and takeing clients others want, and there are those who dislike his lack of respect for the suffering of the animals, he hunts, to goad the animal into a charge for the camera! Others dislike his chest beating "LOOK AT ME" attitude, and his constant shooting of clients animals. I'm in the latter group, and wouldn't hunt with him, eventhough I couldn't afford to anyway, and I'm sure he wouldn't want to hunt with me either! IMO,there is simply a personality clash between us, that is insurmountable.

MS is a very knowledgable PH, and consistantly gets his clients onto very good trophies, and runs a very well organized camps. Like anyone who is famous, he will have those who love everything he does, and those who hate everything he does, regardless of the reasons for their opinions, very few sit on top of the fence where MS is concerened!

--------------------
..........Mac >>>===(x)===>
DUGABOY1, and MacD37 founding member of DRSS www.doublerifleshooterssociety.com
"If I die today, I have had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"

clark7781
.375 member

Re: Mark Sullivan's .700 NE [Re: DUGABOY1]
      #20132 - 29/10/04 03:21 AM

Dugaboy:

First, thank you for the kind words. Probably like most of the people in this world, I was not born with a silver spoon between my cheeks or a seven figure trust fund. I'm a working American who has been blessed with many great opportunities and am lucky enough to now be a member of the elite double rifle ownership club!

I absolutely love the Merkel--maybe because I worked hard for the money that I used to buy it. Although I've yet to hunt with it, I have sustained a number of black and blue marks of honor with it :-) And there is nothing like the look on the guy's faces when I put that monster together and through a couple of solids down range.

About Sullivan, I must admit that I do enjoy his videos, but I disagree with his belief of letting the animal charge him "to give him one last shot at killing me." (Paraphrased from his website.) I love hunting, but I feel that it is the moral duty of the spirit of the hunter to end the life of his/her quarry as quickly as possible. Just my opinion.

--------------------
Clark

.500 NE and .577 NE

DUGABOY1
.400 member

#20146 - 29/10/04 08:12 AM

In reply to:

I absolutely love the Merkel--maybe because I worked hard for the money that I used to buy it. Although I've yet to hunt with it, I have sustained a number of black and blue marks of honor with it :-) And there is nothing like the look on the guy's faces when I put that monster together and through a couple of solids down range.

As you well know, the Merkel comes without a recoil pad, and if there was ever a rifle that needed one, it is the Merkel 500 NE 3"! The simple instalation of a Pachmeyr de-celarator pad will make a big difference in your comfort level. They come in the traditional red rubber of the old days, and they look good on the Merkel. We have a group of guys that formed "THE DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SCOCIETY" with members from TX, GA, OK, all from Accurate Reloading, and many of them post here as well. We have a Wild Boar , and Eland hunt every year, down at Camp Cooley Ranch. Hunting with our double rifles on foot, in very hilly, and brushy country. Lots of fun, and though the Eland are in a high fence area, the land is hard to hunt on foot. Limiting yourself to the use of double rifles, and foot hunting the 1000 acre enclosier, is IMO, very fair chase. The Boar are scattered over 16000 acres, of hill, brush, river bottom, and the Yopon is so thick, you can't get through it in some places, but the Eland, and Boar can run, full tilt, through it with no trouble at all.

I usually hunt there with a little Merkel 140-E 9.3X74R double rifle, but you will see everything from a little 400/360 up to around 500NE among the rifles there. I have, or had, several doubles, rangeing from the little Merkel, up to a 577NE. The 577 is no longer mine, sold last year.

Doubles are just plain fun to hunt with, even jack rabbits!

Welcome to the wacky world of care & feeding of double rifles!

--------------------
"If I die today, I have had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"

DUGABOY1
.400 member

#20153 - 29/10/04 09:04 AM

PS: Erik, was kind enough to point out my mistaken post, stating we were on Accurate Reloading, and reminding me we are actually posting on Nitro Express!

That's the second mistake I made, since 1941! I'm going to have to watch that!

--------------------

mickey
.416 member

Reged: 05/01/03
Loc: Pend Oreille Valley, Idaho
      #20168 - 29/10/04 01:45 PM

In reply to:

Poster: DUGABOY1
Subject: Re: Mark Sullivan's .700 NE

That's the second mistake I made, since 1941! I'm going to have to watch that!

Two mistakes in 65 years. Sounds like a bad habit to me.

--------------------
Lovu Zdar
Mick

A Man of Pleasure, Enterprise, Wit and Spirit Rare Books, Big Game Hunting, English Rifles, Fishing, Explosives, Chauvinism, Insensitivity, Public Drunkenness and Sloth, Champion of Lost and Unpopular Causes.

clark7781
.375 member

#20182 - 29/10/04 11:42 PM

Dugaboy:

What is involved with installing a recoil pad on the Merkel? The rifle fits me well, and I may be mistaken, but isn't cutting the stock involved to install a Pachmeyr pad? I may be seriously mistaken, but for some reason that pops into my head....

If it does (cutting the stock) is there anyone you recommend? I'm from Fairfax County, Virginia (just outside Wash. DC). Griffin and Howe in Jersey would be my first choice since it it only about a four hour drive (and an how from my father's place.)

Thanks for any guidance....

Paul

--------------------
Clark

.500 NE and .577 NE

DUGABOY1
.400 member

#20209 - 30/10/04 08:00 AM

In reply to:

What is involved with installing a recoil pad on the Merkel? The rifle fits me well, and I may be mistaken, but isn't cutting the stock involved to install a Pachmeyr pad? I may be seriously mistaken, but for some reason that pops into my head....

Clark, You are correct in thinking the stock has to be cut to install the recoil pad, and keep the same pull length! This needs to be done by someone who knows how, and that would be a custom stock maker in your area. Since I don't live nere you, I'm not up on the local talent where you live. I do my own, in most cases, but have had them done when I didn't have time. Someone in Fairfax Co. VA. will most likely post the name of someone in your area.

This is one mod that will bennefit your long life, I assure you, but it needs to be done properly! It will allow you to shoot much better, from all hunting possitions. The cost should be around $75, to $100 range!

--------------------

4seventy
Sponsor

#20211 - 30/10/04 08:28 AM

Clark,
Before cutting that stock to achieve the same length of pull that exists now, you should first determine what length of pull is needed to suit YOU!
Once it's cut off you can't put it back. Well you can, but it will look terrible!
Correct length of pull is critical regarding the way a double will handle.
Fitting a pad now gives you the chance to adjust the length of pull to your requirements.

4seventy
Sponsor

#20212 - 30/10/04 08:45 AM

In reply to:

The simple instalation of a Pachmeyr de-celarator pad will make a big difference in your comfort level. They come in the traditional red rubber of the old days,

Mac,
Is this true?
Is the decelerator pad available in red?
For the last couple of years here in OZ we've had trouble getting even just the standard Pachmayr "old english" in the red colour and usually the decelerator old english is only available in black and brown.
I much prefer the red colour so if it is available I'll have to order some.

Marrakai
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: Darwin, Top End of Australia
Re: Mark Sullivan's .700 NE [Re: 4seventy]
      #20214 - 30/10/04 10:23 AM

4seventy:
I too would be keen to know about this! I stocked up on red Decelerator pads a couple of years ago when I saw them going, they disappeared off the Pachmayer and Brownells websites which rang warning-bells! Down to the last one now though.

Are they really back???

--------------------
Marrakai
When the bull drops, the bullshit stops!
--------------------------------
www.marrakai-adventure.com.au

NE450No2
.375 member

Reged: 10/01/03
      #20216 - 30/10/04 10:43 AM

clark
Welcome to the forum. As Dugaboy has stated the hunt at Camp Cooley is a very good time. We always have a good hunt, good food, good Scotch, and a good gathering of double rifles. Makes for a great trip.

EricD
.416 member

Reged: 27/02/04
      #20228 - 30/10/04 05:38 PM

In reply to:

Before cutting that stock to achieve the same length of pull that exists now, you should first determine what length of pull is needed to suit YOU!

What would be the best method to do this?

Erik D.

cr500
.300 member

Reged: 11/10/03
Loc: Singleton ,Australia
      #20234 - 30/10/04 09:19 PM

No1 Your Merkel 500 NE500 not a great gun. No its a very bad gun ,totaly useless for anything so I will take it off you hands for free if you like. (I am planning to get one in the future anyway). As for MSs videos ,they are good to watch but best if you turn the volume down so you dont have to listen to his drivle. He does get in amongst the action but his jaws sure work overtime for Australian tastes. All the same ,I bet he has done a lot more with his 700NE than most of us (especialy me).

4seventy
Sponsor

Re: Mark Sullivan's .700 NE [Re: EricD]
      #20236 - 30/10/04 10:03 PM

In reply to:

What would be the best method to do this?

Hell, the best way would be to bring that Merkel down under and we'll soon sort that length of pull out!
Aint nothin like a serious field test to get the thang workin right!
Far better than tape measures and tryguns!
Couple a dozen hogs a few brumbies and a bull or two might be the go!
Yeah?

DUGABOY1
.400 member

#20247 - 31/10/04 01:27 AM

In reply to:

Mac,
Is this true?
Is the decelerator pad available in red?

Yes they are, according to Harry, at
hunters-hq@cowtown.com , and I read it in Double gun Journal as well! I have several of the brown ones, that I'm going to replace with the red ones,myself!

For you guys in OZZ, I'll give Pachmieyr a call , if I can find the number, to make absolutely sure!

--------------------

Gadge
.300 member

Reged: 02/05/04
Loc: Gippsland, Victoria, Australia
      #20264 - 31/10/04 11:19 AM

Yes folks, the red Decelerator pads have reappeared, with a 'New' flag, in the latest [#57} Brownells cattledog.

Medium size only, Stock # 690-000-015 Retail USD 31.98.

--------------------
Cheers,
Doug

Marrakai
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: Darwin, Top End of Australia
Re: Mark Sullivan's .700 NE [Re: Gadge]
      #20270 - 31/10/04 12:47 PM

Hallelujah! I was beginning to think that Pachmayer had completely lost their way!

"...got this in anything but BLACK!?!!"

Wonder how long till we see them over-the-counter down here.

--------------------
Marrakai
When the bull drops, the bullshit stops!
--------------------------------
www.marrakai-adventure.com.au

clark7781
.375 member

Re: Mark Sullivan's .700 NE [Re: NE450No2]
      #20287 - 01/11/04 12:04 AM

NE450No2:

Does anyone have any additional info on the Camp Cooley hunt? Time of year, length of hunt, $$$$????

Thanks,

Clark

--------------------
Clark

.500 NE and .577 NE

Chasseur
.375 member

Reged: 18/11/03
Loc: Hunting classic Indian game!
      #20680 - 09/11/04 07:58 AM

Clark,

Glad to hear of a fellow double rifle shooter in Northern Virginia!

The best talent we arround here is Greg Wolf at Albrights in Easton MD. Good guy, though he has a particular personality that some don't like, though I like him a lot.

--------------------
In regards to action he should devote himself to hunting...
-Machiavelli

Edited by Chasseur (09/11/04 01:33 PM)

clark7781
.375 member

Re: Mark Sullivan's .700 NE [Re: Chasseur]
      #20682 - 09/11/04 08:08 AM

Chasseur:

Thanks for the info. What part of NoVA are you from? Where do you shoot? What DR do you have?

I need to find a range to go shooting at around here...the closest one that I know of is CF Phelps WMA....but you can only shoot from a bench there and it isn't open 12 months a year....

Nice to meet you!

Clark

--------------------
Clark

.500 NE and .577 NE

Chasseur
.375 member

Reged: 18/11/03
Loc: Hunting classic Indian game!
      #20694 - 09/11/04 01:32 PM

Good to meet you too Clark!

I live in Fairfax county, just south of Alexandria.

I shoot a Chapuis 9.3x74r. Just sighting it in for deer season. Thought it'd be funner than the ol' 06 this year

In our area there are three options I've found for affordable rifle shooting:

NRA range: Cost either $12 an hour, or $220 for a year membership, its easy to get to but its only 50 yards.

Clark Brother's down in Warrengton: free but you have to buy their overpriced ammo and reloading supplies. Also you can only shoot from the bench...

Join an Izak Walton chapter: almost all in the area of VA and MD have nice facilities. This has proven to be the best solution for me. Its a bit of a drive but I have access to a great range for a reasonable price, meet nice people, and I get to be a part of a good organization that defends hunting and habit conservation!

There are also some other private ranges in VA and MD but I don't know too much about most of them. When I first got here I asked at the Fairfax Rod and Gun Club and I think the price was in the thousands...

--------------------
In regards to action he should devote himself to hunting...
-Machiavelli

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 96 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 5171

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com