Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: New optics - what do you think?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in the Americas

Pages: 1
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
New optics - what do you think?
      #199812 - 18/01/12 04:05 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFu0gYp_xsA

New optics. Watch the video, then say what you think.

I do have some comments to make myself.

The range finders do look useful though.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
mikeh416Rigby
.450 member

Reged: 24/02/03
Loc: The beautiful Oley Valley, PA....
Re: New optics - what do you think? [Re: NitroX]
      #199963 - 19/01/12 12:38 PM

I'm too old to change. I'm very satisfied with my Leupold scopes and a duplex crosshair reticles. Those new scopes in the video offer too many things to think about, and more stuff to break at the worst moment. The spotting scope looks too big and heavy to lug around all day. The range finder looks ok though. IMHO

gryphon
.450 member

Reged: 01/01/03
Loc: Sambar ground/Victoria/Austral...
Re: New optics - what do you think? [Re: mikeh416Rigby]
      #199975 - 19/01/12 03:20 PM

I can trial any model for them if they want!

--------------------
Get off the chair away from the desk and get out in the bush and enjoy life.

FATBOY404
.400 member

Reged: 14/11/09
Loc: QLD
Re: New optics - what do you think? [Re: gryphon]
      #199977 - 19/01/12 04:20 PM

Quote:

I can trial any model for them if they want!

Let me know if you need some help.

I think Nikon have very good optics.

Dont like the cluttered reticle though.

--------------------
"WHATEVER BLOWS YOUR HAIR BACK"

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: New optics - what do you think? [Re: FATBOY404]
      #199978 - 19/01/12 05:19 PM

I was watching it and, no offence to Tim Herald the host, it looks like a load of wank ... one guy shooting, another behind him using the range finder, then pulling out his little palm computer, I-wank, or whatever it is called, and entering in the data from the range finder to produce the ballistics results, then informing the shooter which circle on the scope to shoot the best at 283 yards away with ...

Only just realised it is some parody of a "tactical" military sniper team of spotter and shooter ... I suppose which appeals to some consumers.

I think the rangefinder would take a lot of guesswork at range estimation out of it for those of us not so good at it, but all that using a smart phone crap in the bush just shows the guys doing all that should practice more with their rifle, learn its ballistics etc instead of needing to consult a computer in the field.

Actually it is a pity the computer AND rangefinder can't all be incorporated into the scope, so it is all in one package and no "sniper team" would be needed.

Ha ha, just my opinions.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

CHAPUISARMES
.416 member

Reged: 16/01/08
Loc: DUBBO, NSW, AUSTRALIA
      #199979 - 19/01/12 05:19 PM

Many Brands have the bullet drop reticle and as for the computer style program, Nightforce / Exbal program does the same thing IMO

Cheers,

Jeff Gray

tophet1
.400 member

Reged: 15/09/07
Loc: NSW, Australia
      #199981 - 19/01/12 05:23 PM

I'd have to have a good look through the range finder before I traded my Leica on it.

I'm a bit with mike, I think I would prefer to practise on the range at different distances rather than stuff around with all the gizmos.

kamilaroi
.400 member

Reged: 18/12/04
Loc: sydney, new south wales, Austr...
Re: New optics - what do you think? [Re: tophet1]
      #199984 - 19/01/12 05:37 PM

I'm reminded of the Scots ghillie's maxim; "get a close as ye can, then get ten yards closer".

Obviously this mob videoed measure units of "stealth" by tards rather than yards.

FATBOY404
.400 member

Reged: 14/11/09
Loc: QLD
Re: New optics - what do you think? [Re: kamilaroi]
      #199990 - 19/01/12 06:35 PM

I love my Leupold Range finder that allows for up hill down hill.
If you think you want to use it you will have time.

Use mine shooting goats @ 400+ yards and carry one when hunting deer just in case.

--------------------
"WHATEVER BLOWS YOUR HAIR BACK"

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Re: New optics - what do you think? [Re: tophet1]
      #200024 - 20/01/12 01:24 AM

Quote:

I'd have to have a good look through the range finder before I traded my Leica on it.

I'm a bit with mike, I think I would prefer to practise on the range at different distances rather than stuff around with all the gizmos.

Agree totally, what ever happened to printing out a ballistic chart and going to the range and shooting at various distances??? Its amazing to me how many years people shot and hunted without any of this and did just fine...

I am somewhat guilty I guess in that I do use a rangefinder..(LEICA 1200) ...but once I know the distance I can be reasonably sure where I need to hold or if I need to get closer...

Last season I tried a Zeiss Conquest..4-14--rapid 800..using their system, again it does work..but have to be honest..i actually think the leupolds I use are clearer..and I know the swarovski and Schmit/Benders are...just say'n... ...maybe thats because the Conquests are cheaper models..they run anywhere from $775 to $850 US depending on where you get one..so not cheap..and to be honest, I expeceted more for that price in terms of clarity...

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

500Nitro
.450 member

Reged: 06/01/03
Loc: Victoria, Australia
Re: New optics - what do you think? [Re: Ripp]
      #200025 - 20/01/12 01:31 AM

Ripp

Interesting you say that about Conquests, have been getting a bit of feedback that the quality doesn't seem to be where it was a few years ago - including failing reticles and other issues.

I think MORE people may be shooting further now than what the average shooter used to but agree with what you say.

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Re: New optics - what do you think? [Re: 500Nitro]
      #200047 - 20/01/12 07:13 AM

Quote:

Ripp

Interesting you say that about Conquests, have been getting a bit of feedback that the quality doesn't seem to be where it was a few years ago - including failing reticles and other issues.

I think MORE people may be shooting further now than what the average shooter used to but agree with what you say.

Agree--many are--unfortunatly I feel many that are shouldnt be...but, so it appears is the times we currently live in..one person starts a tv show or two and now everyone has to shoot or try to shoot 1000 yards...

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

mikeh416Rigby
.450 member

Reged: 24/02/03
Loc: The beautiful Oley Valley, PA....
Re: New optics - what do you think? [Re: Ripp]
      #200054 - 20/01/12 07:37 AM

I have no problem with range finders. I use one myself. What I have difficulty with is the 600 yard plus shooters, who call themselves hunters. IMO, in over 40 years of hunting all over North America and Southern Africa, I've only ever taken a shot at 1 animal over 500 yards away, and that was because my guide said it was about 325 yards off. The "hunters" who are taking shots at 700-1000 yards are snipers and marksmen...not true hunters. Hunting skills involve stealth and stalking: sadly, it seems that with the advent of all the technology that's available, too many are looking for the shortcut and as a result,stealth and stalking have gone the way of the carrier pigeon for many former hunters.

xausa
.400 member

Reged: 07/03/07
Loc: Tennessee, USA
Re: New optics - what do you think? [Re: NitroX]
      #200062 - 20/01/12 08:10 AM

Back in the 1970's, when I had a retail gun business, one of my customers repeatedly used our FFL to receive target pistols he had bought from advertisements in Shotgun News. One such pistol, and M1911 Colt arrived with the following inscription engraved on the slide: "So and so, National Pistol Champion, 19XX, 19XX and 19XX. Our customer was overjoyed to get it, but not too much later brought it back and listed it with us for sale on consignment. It had not performed up to his expectations.

A while later I was shooting in a smallbore match in Asheville, NC, and whom should I encounter but, so and so, the National Pistol Champion whose name had been engraved on the pistol. I asked him about it, and he laughed and told the following story.

After winning the National Championship, he decided that there should be some way of cashing in on his accomplishment. He headed to the nearest pawn shop and purchased three pistols, .22 rim fire, centerfire and .45 ACP, which were the three pistols then in use for a bullseye pistol match. He then cobbled together a pistol box and went to one of the local pistol matches.

Of course, he had no trouble winning the match, even with the handicap of off-the-rack pistols and of course, he was besieged with offers to buy "his" pistol set. He would sell the pistols for far more than he paid for them and then return home. Inevitably, he would shortly afterwards receive a visit from the purchaser, complaining that the pistols would not shoot, whereupon he would take them to his backyard range and proceeded to shoot the center out of a target with each pistol. The buyer departed sadder, but wiser.

Whenever he was in need of cash, he would repeat this procedure. He never had a pistol engraved as described, but was satisfied that one of his sadder customers had done so to make the pistol easier to sell.

What these buyers were doing amounted to trying to "buy a score", to gain some kind of advantage from superior equipment, which they thought must be the secret of "so and so's" success.

The thrust of this commercial is the same: buy the right optics, spotting scope, range finder, rifle scope, and the results are all but guaranteed. Technology replaces the long hard work of mastering a rifle and its characteristics. All of this presumes a scenario where the "hunter" has infinate time to go through all the mechanics of locating the distant animal, determining the range, allowing for drop (no allowance for other conditions, such as wind), and executing the shot.

There was no indication as to how the rangefinder and other equipment figured in the shot at the buffalo or the leopard, which were presumably close enough that no range finder was necessary.

This attitude of technology replacing skill seems to pervade the military these days. I am old enough to remember when it was otherwise, and still prefer the skills approach. I realise that I am in the minority.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: New optics - what do you think? [Re: 500Nitro]
      #200110 - 20/01/12 03:16 PM

Quote:

More long range shooting on the net from 'net shooters' anyway ...

Ask the average Joe the distance and 250 metres becomes 450 ...

As for yesteryear, when I started shooting there was always some clown trying to sell his ".308" with a "shoots well to 800 metres, if you can't hit something at 800 metres, you can't shoot" sort of crap ....

And lets not forget the double rifles from 1900 with a leaf marked 500 yards on it ...

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: New optics - what do you think? [Re: xausa]
      #200111 - 20/01/12 03:19 PM

Well said xausa.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 23 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2932

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com