Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Rebarrel to .375 H+H

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Rifles

Pages: 1
mbogo3
.275 member

Reged: 26/03/10
Loc: Alberta Canada
Rebarrel to .375 H+H
      #198802 - 06/01/12 12:53 PM

What would be involved in re barreling a Win 70 SS Classic in .338 to .375 H+H ? The .338 barrel was a mess new from the factory.Hack and tool chatter on the lands.Fire lapped helped somewhat but will still copper foul every 20 shots or so.Sent back to the USA to Win after much hassle came back 8 months latter claiming it meets their accuracy standards.I phoned and asked what that was but they wouldn't answer.I will either handlap it from here or rebarrel haven't decided.........Harold

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Rebarrel to .375 H+H [Re: mbogo3]
      #198803 - 06/01/12 01:10 PM

Harold - don't despair. My friend's .338 Remington 700 made 2 1/2 to 3" groups with all factory makes and bullet weights and would do only 2" with handloads. Remington said at that time, it was within their 'specs' which were 5". He sold it and hasn't bought another Rem. in these last 15 years and never will.

I helped a guy set up (bedded) his Stainless Remington .30/06, found 165gr. Fusions went 1/2" to .6" for 5 shot groups for pratise and 165gr. TSX Federal ammo went 3/8" to 1/2" for moose, elk, deer, goat and sheep. He managed sheep, deer and elk in one fall - a happy man with a Remginton.

To rebarrel requires someone to cut the threads and re-chamber and maybe re-fit to the stock if the contour is different is all - as long as that is the saem action used for the .375 length of ctg. You may need to do some work to the mag is there is a shortening block installed for the shorter .338's. It's simple, but work just the same. Prices vary.

Corlanes in Dawson Creek does this sort of work to custom rifles as well. There are gunsmiths in Alberta but I don't know any. I've ben told Corlanes does good work.

Dawson Creek "thinks" they are in Alberta, does that count?

It is unlikely handlapping (properly, with a lead lapp) will improve it over the firelapping, if that is done well, with a kit & proper abrasive grades, soft lead bullets, loads etc. Necco, I think, sells them.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Homer
.416 member

Reged: 07/04/09
Loc: Canberra, Australia
Re: Rebarrel to .375 H+H [Re: DarylS]
      #198820 - 06/01/12 05:52 PM

G'Day Fella's,

Harold, I have a Win Mod 70 Classic in 7mm Rem Mag.
From what I can see with my rifle, the action is long enough for a .375 H&H cartridge but as Daryl S mentioned, the magazine box has a shortening block at the rear for the 7mm and .338Mag size cartridges.

You could try drilling out the spot welds that hold the shortening block in place, get a Win factory mag box to suit the .375 H&H or I think www.wyattsoutdoors.com make and sell longer than normal box magazines to suit.

Hope that helps

Doh!
Homer

--------------------
"Beware the Lolly Pop of Mediocrity,
Lick it Once and You Will Suck Forever"

Cinghiale
.333 member

Reged: 15/04/08
Loc: Northern Territory
Re: Rebarrel to .375 H+H [Re: Homer]
      #198823 - 06/01/12 08:44 PM

Mate go for it, if you are going this way get a mag box from http://www.customgunandrifle.com/index.p...0&Itemid=26

they do a 4 round job that fits in the standard bottom metal in a standard stock.

Hope this helps, I'd say go for it!

Regards,

MOG

mbogo3
.275 member

Reged: 26/03/10
Loc: Alberta Canada
Re: Rebarrel to .375 H+H [Re: Cinghiale]
      #198839 - 07/01/12 05:17 AM

Only problem with the US sites as they can't ,thanks to Homeland Security ship or sell to Canada.I can't even cross border shop like I used to for reloading supplies for the past 30 years.Times have changed.Will check out Corlane's and see what they can do.Thanx Harold

CommandCar
.333 member

Reged: 18/09/10
Loc: East Coast, USA
Re: Rebarrel to .375 H+H [Re: mbogo3]
      #198843 - 07/01/12 05:54 AM

try this outfit in Edmonton for genuine Winchester parts, they should have the longer magazine and follower if needed.

http://www.westerngunparts.com/

terlingua
.224 member

Reged: 02/07/12
Loc: canada
Re: Rebarrel to .375 H+H [Re: CommandCar]
      #211938 - 03/07/12 02:38 AM

Western gunparts sold me the factory 4 shot box and follower for my 375.
I didn't ask if they had any left but I'd let the original ones go.

albertan
.333 member

Reged: 13/06/06
Loc: Alberta, Canada
Re: Rebarrel to .375 H+H [Re: terlingua]
      #212387 - 09/07/12 08:01 PM

What about a .375 Ruger? It does everything the old British number does, but with a more compact case. I believe that the Ruger will be around awhile unlike the Remington .375. It should work in an old .338 action too.

I have used one on a Kamchatka brown bear and it did very well. Its compact size was a benefit climbing up and down mountains with snow shoes on.

I have two H&H's, so I do like the old girl. But I believe the Ruger .375 is comparable, and reloading is a snap. Reloder 15 plus what ever bullet you have on hand.

Good Luck

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Rebarrel to .375 H+H [Re: albertan]
      #212401 - 10/07/12 01:21 AM

Of course, there is always the .375 Chatfield Taylor, considering the rifle is already set up for the parent case (.338Win. Mag.).

This little "Wildcat" duplicates the .375H&H factory ammo quite handily.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

albertan
.333 member

Reged: 13/06/06
Loc: Alberta, Canada
Re: Rebarrel to .375 H+H [Re: DarylS]
      #212500 - 11/07/12 10:05 AM

I would keep to a factory round if I had any dreams of travelling internationally with a rifle. My experiences in Africa and Russia made me glad I was carrying famous rounds. My barrels were inspected for calibre stampings. The head stamps on the cartridges were checked, as were the ammunition boxes for calibre designation. Other folks say it hasn't happened to them and bless them. Allocate 6 hours to get through Russian customs with everything above board with an experienced interpreter. If you have a custom I don't know what would happen. Just my .02$ worth.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 63 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3990

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com