Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: First Pheasant hunt for Kate -and for the season

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in the Americas

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Re: First Pheasant hunt for Kate -and for the season [Re: NitroX]
      #198501 - 03/01/12 03:54 AM

Quote:

So you shoot only cocks?

Also are pheasant an introduced species? I thought that species of pheasant originated in China?

I guess predators don't affect them as much? Here foxes, cats, crows, hawks and eagles seem to kill off any released birds that survive not being shot. (had not refreshed the thread so didn't see Daryl's post re coyotes).

Great to have so many wild birds for sport.

1. Yes --here it is law that you can only shoot 3 roosters per day...and can never shoot hens...
2. Yes--pheasants were introduced I believe back in the mid- 1850's or so ..but now flourish over many many states..
3. Hawks, owls and other predators take their toll, but the populations can typically withstand and still flourish provided the habitat it there ...

I used to actually raise about 200 per year and let them go in the wild around my home in N Dakota..what seemed to really make the difference for their survival on the released birds was 2 fold..1. when the CRP program was introduced which paid farmers to leave highly erodible soil idle or seed it to grass..2. when I would keep the pheasants over the winter and release them in the spring..they would then raise a hatch that actually grew up in the wild --really seemed to make a difference..I still let some go in the summer as well as the older ones in the spring...

In addition, I also had agreements with several farmers in the area over about a 20 mile circumference that had really good habitat for pheasants....and would release pheasants in those areas year after year for a 5 year period with no hunting allowed as well until they became established...was amazing how they started to be noticed everywhere once they took hold...

Thanks

Ripp

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Re: First Pheasant hunt for Kate -and for the season [Re: Ripp]
      #198504 - 03/01/12 04:43 AM

Pheasant History...

http://www.ultimatepheasanthunting.com/info/pheasant-history/

Pheasant History
The Ringed-necked Pheasant was imported to America from Asia, and no other game species introduced to this continent has been as successful at flourishing as the pheasant. One of more than 40 species originating in Asia and Asia Minor, these birds from the genus Phasianus are perhaps better known than any of the other 15 groups of pheasants in the world. All are related to the partridges, quails, grouse and guinea-fowls which make up the order Galliformes or chicken-like birds.

Archeological evidence suggests that large pheasants lived in southern France in the Miocene period, some 13 million years ago. The Greeks knew the bird in the 10th Century B.C. and we have adopted their name for the species, Phasianus ornis (phasian bird), derived from the Phasis River (now Rion) near the Caucasus Mountains. The Chinese knew the pheasant some 3,000 years ago, but the Romans are considered responsible for the spread of pheasants in western Europe. When Julius Caesar invaded England in the first century B.C., the pheasant followed.

It wasn't until 1733 that the pheasant appeared in North America, when several pairs of the black-necked strain were introduced in New York. Other pheasant varieties were released in New Hampshire and New Jersey later in the 18th century. Not until 1881, when Judge O.N. Denny released some 100 pairs of Chinese ring-necks in the Willamette Valley of Oregon, did the pheasant really gain a foothold in the United States. Since then, pheasants have been propagated and released by government agencies, clubs and individuals, and for all practical purposes are established everywhere on the continent that suitable habitat exists.

It was introduced to South Dakota in 1898 and is easily recognized by its colorful plumage. It is also known for its delicious meat. Since it is primarily a Midwestern bird, pheasant is considered a delicacy in many other states. Populations in North America are now well established in areas containing farmlands and native grasslands and have "replaced" prairie chickens in much of the Midwest. Huntable pheasant populations can be found in Oklahoma, Missouri, North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska, Iowa, Kansas, California, Utah, Montana, Wyoming, and many other states.

Pheasants require weedy fence rows, ditch banks or brushy woods for escape cover. Pheasant populations struggled in the U.S. during the 1960's and 1970's due to a lack of required cover as a result of agricultural practices.

Pheasant populations have benefitted enormously from the Conservation Reserve Program in the U.S.. CRP involves the planting of vast acres of native grasses by farmers in agricultural areas. CRP benefits many species of wildlife including upland birds, waterfowl and deer. Government agencies continue to struggle over the issue of the CRP program's future here in the U.S. Efforts of hunter groups like Pheasants Forever have succeeded in ensuring the program's success, at least in the short term.

Many hunting strategies are successful for pheasant and both pointing dogs and flushing dogs are widely used. As many a pheasant hunter will attest, these birds are very crafty and successfully outsmart even the most experienced hunters and dogs on a regular basis. Pheasants love to run and will do so even in the slightest amount of cover. Every effort should be made to get to a downed bird as soon as possible, as it only takes a few seconds for a cripple to cross the nearest county line.

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 20 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 6776

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com