Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: H&H and Purdey Vs Searcy

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
EricD
.416 member

Reged: 27/02/04
Re: H&H and Purdey Vs Searcy [Re: 500grains]
      #18422 - 25/08/04 01:16 AM

In reply to:

I was thinking of getting my double engraved with Michael Jackson on one side and Michael Mooere on the other.

Sorry my friend, but if you insist on having Michael Jackson on one side, the only right thing to do is to have his true love and soulmate on the other; Bubbles the chimp. But then come to think of it, Bubbles and Michael Moore are perhaps one and the same. Both have about the same level of intelligence, and appearently not much plastic surgery was done either...

Erik D.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Peterb
.333 member

Reged: 07/07/04
Re: H&H and Purdey Vs Searcy [Re: bonanza]
      #18423 - 25/08/04 01:19 AM

My Ford is a 1928 Mod A P/U with skis & metal halftrack (Sno-Flyer option). I'd love to add a Quad 50 to the bed but haven't found one at a gun show yet.

500grains
.416 member

Reged: 16/02/04
Loc: Salt Lake City, Utah USA
Re: H&H and Purdey Vs Searcy [Re: EricD]
      #18443 - 26/08/04 05:11 AM

Well, if I do have a double built with an engraving of Michael Jackson on one side and Michael Moore on the other, it would have to be in suitable calibers. The barrel adjacent Michael Jackson's engraving would be chambered for .22 short, while the barrel adjacent Michael Moore's engraving would be chambered for .577 Fatass Express.

atkinson6
.375 member

Reged: 26/01/04
Loc: Idaho
      #18684 - 31/08/04 06:52 AM

One cannot compare a Searcy to a fine pair of English rifles on the same plane....

The Searcy was never intended to compete in that class..It was designed as strictly a hunting using rifle at which it excells and far surpasses any English double...It is more accruate and much less picky in what it shoots well, it is much stronger and can shoot any bullet such as monolithics..

As to beauty, feel and resale value, as a means of investment, the english guns win hands down, if you can find a good one that has not been refinished a dozen or so times and the bores don't look like they are full of pepper ticks..but I sure see a lot of junk english guns with proud owners, and I have done my fair share of bragging on some pretty rough old guns, and I have owned some really nice ones...

Bottom line is for hunting and using a searcy cannot be beat...Mine won the National double rifle shoot in the capable hands of Butch and it shoots an inch or less at 50 with irons...

If your wanting a masterpiece of art, and a thing of shear beauty, an investment to put a kid through college, then get a high dollar double by Rigby, Holland and Holland or whoever, that will set you back about $55,000 or double that, but it will be a good investment...

RobertD
.275 member

Reged: 16/11/03
Loc: East Bay, CA, USA
Re: H&H and Purdey Vs Searcy [Re: atkinson6]
      #19155 - 12/09/04 11:52 AM

Searcy. Period.

Besides, Butch is only a five hour drive from here and there is a fabulous Mexican resturant nearby to sit and sip some iced slushes while you wait.

See, the problem I have is that if I own something that shoots, I have to shoot it. If it doesn't shoot, or is too valuable to shoot, I sell it.

It is my lot in life, I suppose.

RobertD

--------------------
NRA Life Member
CRPA Life Member
SCI Golden Gate Member

"Time is never found, if you want time for something, you have to make it."

ARP
.224 member

Reged: 14/10/04
Loc: CA.
Re: H&H and Purdey Vs Searcy *DELETED* [Re: Peterb]
      #19761 - 14/10/04 10:51 PM

Post deleted by ARP

Peterb
.333 member

Re: H&H and Purdey Vs Searcy [Re: ARP]
      #19981 - 24/10/04 01:49 PM

Arp, sorry but you are in error. Before David's recent retirement, he did, indeed, do work for Purdey. Purdey uses a Hoenig machine and those who wanted complete handwork often had their work done by David in Maine. I have this from David himself.

Pete

atkinson6
.375 member

Reged: 26/01/04
Loc: Idaho
Re: H&H and Purdey Vs Searcy [Re: Peterb]
      #20185 - 30/10/04 12:42 AM

ARP,
Just about any European double will will go off the face if you shoot it enough, thats why they are sent back and fixed every few years...The steels of yesteryear allowed that to happen, its not a big deal, but its a fact....Most of them are off the face and the owners are not aware of it. Also a double can go off the face with one shot if the load is a tad hot for whatever reason...The newer rifles of today like the Searcy, Krieghoff,Merkle, etc. are not as prone to shoot off the face...The only ones that I know of that have shot off the face are the Merkles in 416 Rigby and 375 H&H, and that doesn't surprise me, those rounds are too intense for a double rifle action IMO...

bonanza
.400 member

Reged: 17/05/04
Loc: South Carolina
Re: H&H and Purdey Vs Searcy [Re: atkinson6]
      #20189 - 30/10/04 12:52 AM

" The only ones that I know of that have shot off the face are the Merkles in 416 Rigby and 375 H&H, and that doesn't surprise me, those rounds are too intense for a double rifle action "

Have you ever seen one off the face, or just heared of one? I have a Merkel .375 with hundres and hundres of rounds through it and it's as tight as the day I bought it. I would venture to say it would take thousands of rounds to bring it off face.

--------------------

"Speak Precisely" G. Gordon Liddy.

"Life is absurd, chaotic and we must define its purpose with our actions" Abert Camus

"I''m the dude playing a dude disguised as another dude."

"Yo! Mr. White"

Peterb
.333 member

#20221 - 30/10/04 12:16 PM

All doubles will go off face given enough shooting or ill treatment. All else being equal, higher pressure rounds will cause this sooner. Also, all else being equal, the stronger actions/materials will last on face longer.

However, that which causes doubles going off face the quickest are improper lubrication and improper closing. We have all seen hunters and clay men slam their doubles shut. Some do this when mad, some make a habit of it. This is the #1 cause of premature going off face (becoming loose). Improper lubrication and lack of or improper cleaning is another worst cause.

Luckily, they are (a few) good double gunsmiths out there who can economically and quickly put a gun back on face.

bonanza
.400 member

Reged: 17/05/04
Loc: South Carolina
Re: H&H and Purdey Vs Searcy [Re: Peterb]
      #20240 - 31/10/04 12:15 AM

PeterB,

You earlier mention cleaning and lubing the hinge after ever shoot, I do that now. My rifle is still tight and requires a "solid" closeing to fully engage the bites, But I agree with you - I cringe at the skeet range when I see those guys with thier expensive shotguns slaming it closed.

--------------------

"Speak Precisely" G. Gordon Liddy.

"Life is absurd, chaotic and we must define its purpose with our actions" Abert Camus

"I''m the dude playing a dude disguised as another dude."

"Yo! Mr. White"

4seventy
Sponsor

Reged: 07/05/03
Loc: Queensland Australia
      #21468 - 30/11/04 02:22 AM

In reply to:

I cringe at the skeet range when I see those guys with thier expensive shotguns slaming it closed.

Yeah me too.
It's amazing though how some not so expensive guns seem to be able to handle that kind of treatment.
I remember a guy in Brisbane back in the early 80's who was quite a good skeet shooter and ended up winning a Winchester Pigeon grade Skeet gun at a shoot.
He hated Winchester shotguns but shot it alot and very well.
He tried over a long period to kill that gun and couldn't manage to do it.
His way of closing the gun was to slam the barrels shut by swinging the gun upward real fast with both hands on the pitol grip and was the most violent method I've ever seen!
Once he threw the unloaded gun up over his shoulder with muzzels pointing to the rear, as clay shooters often do to carry their gun, and it slipped from his grip and kept going, and fell to the ground smashing the muzzels down hard onto the concrete!
It bent the bottom tube half closed and he shoved a car wheel spanner handle up the bore and levered out the bent metal!
Took the gun back out and if my memory is correct he won the next event!
Tough guns those Winchester 101's!

SOUTHPAWTOO
.275 member

Reged: 04/12/04
Loc: Indiana, USA
      #21802 - 06/12/04 09:34 PM

Dear 500,
At the end of your posting you mention a double rifle championship in the US. Could you please give me more info on the match. When and where it is held and a contact point.
Thank you very much. SP2

--------------------
SP2

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
2 registered and 92 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 7836

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com