Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: First Safari Australia to South Africa Paperwork Assistance

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Africa & hunting dangerous game

Pages: 1
CHAPUISARMES
.416 member

Reged: 16/01/08
Loc: DUBBO, NSW, AUSTRALIA
First Safari Australia to South Africa Paperwork Assistance
      #197238 - 19/12/11 11:58 AM

African Safari from Sydney Australia to Johannesburg South Africa.

For those contemplating an African Safari for the first time as I have just done, I would like to offer to you all what I found necessary to be done and in the correct Order so that all goes smoothly with your safari.

You have Chosen your Safari Operator, selected the dates and booked your tickets, Now what.

Firstly, You need to have a valid Passport with a minimum of 3 pages Free of usage and be valid for 6 months AFTER you arrive back home.

I fly Qantas but other airlines do the same, you request a ‘Letter of Authority’ for the “Approval to Carry Firearms and Ammunition” on a Qantas or other flight. Once you have obtained this letter, it is generally valid for 12 months.
Qantas allows the rifles to be transported with the bolts in whereas Air New Zealand needs the bolts to be separate.

Ammunition MUST be in a separate, locked box and carried in your in your checked luggage but as conditions change regularly, check well in advance of your journey with your preferred air carrier, currently a maximum of 5kg is allowed.

I found that it was best to order the B709A Certificate first as you need to provide some of the information contained on it to other agencies. Be aware that mistakes can occur with the paperwork so when it arrives Make Sure that all the details are correct before proceeding to the next step. This just happened to me so be aware that it can happen.

Police Firearm Registry (NSW)

http://www.police.nsw.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0005/139865/FORM_CUSTOMS_B709_APPLICATION.pdf

Customs

I then filled out my B319 Application, this is to register as a “Integrated Cargo System Client” this is only done once and is valid for the duration of your life.

http://www.customs.gov.au/.../CMR_20040722_Registering_as_client_ICS1.pdf

This allows you to be known within their system and then your able to Export / Import goods, namely your firearms and this needs to be done BEFORE you apply for your DEC07 Form (below) the “Restricted Goods Permit (RGP)” which is the actual Export / Import Form.

http://www.customs.gov.au/webdata/resources/files/formDEC07.pdf

Then you must fill out the B957 Export Declaration which states ‘what’ your taking out of the country, firearms wise and there value (This is where you need those B709 details)

www.customs.gov.au/webdata/resources/files/acn9980a1.pdf

Once completed I phoned “Customs” to find out if all of the above paperwork could be sent ‘As One’ and was directed that I had to also send ‘Proof’ that it was myself making the applications so a ‘Certified True Copy’ was needed to be obtained of my Passport (Photo Page) Firearms Licence, B709A Certificate, Flight Details, “Letter of Invitation” from the Safari company.

Once all of this was completed, I should then send them to.:

“Lodgments”

Custom’s House
10 Cooks River Drive
Mascot NSW 2020

In addition, if your rifles have scopes or your going to take cameras and binoculars away with you and want to be able to bring them back home without having to pay ‘DUTY’ on them, you need to fill out a B263 Form

http://www.customs.gov.au/site/page4224.asp

This Form and the Medicare Form (if applicable) is checked and stamped at the airport and there is no need to send them off with the Forms above.

Medicare Australia

If you take any medicine that is on the PBS and you want to take them out of the country, you must fill out the following Form and in addition get a letter from your Doctor explaining what you take and the amount taken daily.

I also suggest that you contact the Consular Section of the South African High Commission by Email (or the High Commission of the country that your going to hunt in) to confirm that it is alright to take these medications into South Africa and keep a copy of there reply on record with you just in case of varying opinions whilst in transit.

If however you are “Changing Flights” in other countries en route to your intended destination, it is best to check what these countries regulations are as they may differ from Australia and be classed as a ‘Prohibited Drug’ which may lead to an unfortunate outcome.

http://www.medicareaustralia.gov.au/publ...declaration.pdf

If this is your first trip abroad as it was for me and you want to make it as painless as possible, hire a “Meet and Greet” company to organise the paperwork for the other end. I used ‘Hunters Support’ and from their website, you can download the necessary SAP520 Form which is needed to Import Firearms into South Africa but follow their list and all should be well. They will meet you on arrival in Johannesburg Airport and walk you through the various collection and inspection processes.

Hunters Support.: http://www.hunterssupport.com/

SAP520 Form.: http://www.hunterssupport.com/e520.pdf

Instruction on filling out the SAP520 Form.: http://www.hunterssupport.com/ei520.pdf

Hunters Support Request Form.: http://www.hunterssupport.com/Hunters%20Support%20Form.pdf

Payment Authorisation Form.: http://www.hunterssupport.com/CreditCardAuthorisation.pdf

· You will need to provide the completed SAP520 Form.

· The ‘Letter of Invitation’ from the company your going to hunt with and show what your going to hunt and the details of the rifles your bringing.

· ‘Certified True Copy’ of your Photo Passport & Signature panel, the B709A Form, Firearms Licence, so that you have 100Points of Identity (Drivers Licence, Medicare Card etc).

· A copy of your Flight Itinerary to and from South Africa.

All Forms are to be completed in Black Ink and sent ‘Express Post International’ and must be there well before your intended date of arrival. For a ‘Normal” application they need at least 30 days after receiving your details but more could be advantageous incase you have forgotten something allowing you time to correct the anomaly .

Most Safari operators have on their Website a list of suggestions as to what to bring but remember weight is of the essence and anything that is expensive, make sure that they are listed on your B263 Form.

It is also advantageous that you purchase additional “Checked Baggage” weight allowance (both ways), it is far cheaper to purchase “On Line” than at the airport, with Qantas, you can do this ‘On Line’ from 7 days before departure to just 3 hours before you actually fly out.

Once you know how much weight your allowed in both “Carry On” and “Checked Baggage” you know how to break your luggage down but Ammunition MUST be in the checked baggage with a 5kg maximum but Cameras, Binoculars, Scopes etc can go as “Carry On” luggage, or at least it was when I traveled in August 2011 but always ask if your in doubt however it is handy to have a set of suitable scales to make sure of your bag weights.

Australian Quarantine Inspection Service, AQIS

Bringing Trophies back into Australia.

The cost of Taxidermy is far cheaper to have done in South Africa and besides the “Hassles” are far less when all the skins are tanned and the trophies mounted when you go to Import them back into Australia. The following link is to do just that, if your intending to bring back salted skins etc, refer to the AQUIS website under the respective entry.

http://www.aqis.gov.au/icon32/asp/ex_cas...;LogSessionID=0

Taxidermy.

There are numerous Taxidermy companies in South Africa, some good, some not so good so make sure you research who you will use well in advance, check with those on the forums who may know something about your choice and give a report as to the quality of their work. This company will be responsible for all the packing of your trophies and the associated veterinary paperwork which will allow your Export and Import into Australia. Also check if there are any CITES animals in your hunt and if there is, you will need a lot more paperwork to be done.

I used Umlindi Taxidermy who does not have a website as yet but Email them and they will send you their color brochure.: Email Address.: umlindi@eezi.net

Freight Company South Africa to Australia.

Again it is common place for the various Taxidermy companies to have their preferred Freight Company but again research beforehand is the best way of ascertaining if the company suggested is giving you the best service and price as you are relying on them to deliver your memories, expensive memories. Make sure that you insure the consignment just in case of problems.

I chose to use Zingela Forwarders, Contact Mr Koos du Toit www.zingelaforwarders.co.za

Custom Broker in Australia.

Once your trophies arrive in Australia they must be cleared by Customs and any Duty that may be required to be paid before they can be released for it’s final destination to you.

It will depend on what “Port of Entry” into Australia your trophies will arrive in, mine was Sydney but the best way is to consult the ‘Yellow’ pages if you do not already have a Customs Broker or a friend who has had personal experience with the Import of Taxidermy of trophy animals.

I used Asean Cargo Pty Ltd, contact Mr David Balange www.asean.com.au who are experienced with the Import of clients trophies.

I hope that this information is of some assistance in planning your African Safari to South Africa from Australia.

Cheers for now,

Jeff Gray

E&OE

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
blacks
.275 member

Reged: 17/03/11
Loc: South-East South Australia
Re: First Safari Australia to South Africa Paperwork Assistance [Re: CHAPUISARMES]
      #197300 - 20/12/11 01:15 AM

Jeff, thanks for taking the time to put that together and post mate.

A valuable resource and one to 'squirrel away' for sure.

Cheers

blacks

--------------------
You won't shoot anything at home on the couch...

mikeh416Rigby
.450 member

Reged: 24/02/03
Loc: The beautiful Oley Valley, PA....
Re: First Safari Australia to South Africa Paperwork Assistance [Re: CHAPUISARMES]
      #197304 - 20/12/11 03:10 AM

Jeff, great job. Thanks for taking the time to put all that information together. I'm sure it will be a great assist to our members from OZ.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: First Safari Australia to South Africa Paperwork Assistance [Re: mikeh416Rigby]
      #197312 - 20/12/11 05:45 AM

Jeff

Great job in putting together a long list of requirements, paperwork etc.

Can be modified by guys from other states as needed.

Well done.

PS Did not know or ever think so much is now needed.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Edited by NitroX (20/12/11 05:47 AM)

mikeh416Rigby
.450 member

Re: First Safari Australia to South Africa Paperwork Assistance [Re: NitroX]
      #197313 - 20/12/11 06:13 AM

All the more reason to make sure your information is current, and not outdated.

CHAPUISARMES
.416 member

Re: First Safari Australia to South Africa Paperwork Assistance [Re: mikeh416Rigby]
      #197342 - 20/12/11 04:34 PM

Thanks Fellas,

It is always a 'Handy' reference if going overseas from N.S.W. Australia and as John said, it is only a small variation between States.

John, would there be any chance of making it a 'Sticky' or something that would be kept for future reference and easily available??

Cheers for now,

Jeff Gray

mikeh416Rigby
.450 member

#197343 - 20/12/11 05:26 PM

Done.

CHAPUISARMES
.416 member

#197344 - 20/12/11 05:29 PM

Hi Mike,

Thanks for that, I do believe that it will help others,

Cheers Mate,

Jeff

Claydog
.375 member

Reged: 17/08/12
Loc: Katherine, Northern Territory ...
      #217357 - 29/09/12 01:47 PM

Owe you a carton

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 20 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 9227

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com