Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Manton & Co. Where in Delhi????

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
panther
.224 member

Reged: 02/03/10
Loc: british columbia, canada
Manton & Co. Where in Delhi????
      #196910 - 16/12/11 06:33 PM

Hi All,
I would be visiting New Delhi on a business trip for few weeks, will have a spare week for birdwatching & other activities, abundant birdlife with 200 plus species during winters in and around Delhi. Now, coming to the point I'm just curious if somebody knows where the old Manton & Co. had there shop in Delhi? I would like to see what they have it now in place of Manton.
On my previous trip I visited couple of gun stores, sadly they had nothing to show of their glorious hunting past I was quite disappointed, the kind of inventory they carry is ludicrous.
I am told that the indian military forces and the police have stopped using SMLEs any idea if we would be seeing those SMLEs for sale in near future????
Thanks

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Manton & Co. Where in Delhi???? [Re: panther]
      #196912 - 16/12/11 07:46 PM

An image from the net.

One of our members also has the image on his fb pages, RigbyMauser. Has he been there? I don't know.

I think Manton's is in Calcutta.

Quote:

I have my favorite place too. One place I hate to tell Brian, our enthusiastic member of the expedition, is about Manton & Co. Gun Makers. Brian is a gun collector, and here at Manton's he will go mad. Manton & Co. Gun makers was established in Calcutta, India by Frederick Manton in 1825. Managed by John Augustus Manton, and when I first went there in 1965, it was run by Mr. Greengrass. How wonderful to sit in the shop, in great old rattan chairs, drink tea, and talk about guns. Mr. Greengrass I am sure is long gone but there must be another there to manage and carry on great tales of tiger hunts and jungle safaris.

That is Calcutta in part.

http://www.transasiaexpedition.com/tae/background.cfm

The gun seller P.Orr was in Delhi I believe. The building is now a shopping mall of some sort I believe.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Edited by NitroX (16/12/11 07:49 PM)

500Nitro
.450 member

Reged: 06/01/03
Loc: Victoria, Australia
Re: Manton & Co. Where in Delhi???? [Re: NitroX]
      #196913 - 16/12/11 08:13 PM

What about Army and Navy ?

Where were they located ?

Igorrock
.400 member

Reged: 01/03/07
Loc: Finland
Re: Manton & Co. Where in Delhi???? [Re: 500Nitro]
      #196944 - 17/12/11 02:39 AM

One local link to India.

http://indiansforguns.com/

--------------------
http://promaakari.wordpress.com/

simonsaorsa
.300 member

Reged: 11/05/06
Loc: UK
Re: Manton & Co. Where in Delhi???? [Re: Igorrock]
      #196945 - 17/12/11 02:42 AM

My 1926 catalogue reprint says they were at 13 Old Court House Street, Calcutta

panther
.224 member

Re: Manton & Co. Where in Delhi???? [Re: simonsaorsa]
      #196971 - 17/12/11 08:11 AM

Yes I've seen this photograph of Manton & Co in Calcutta somewhere on the net. As I'll be only visitng New Delhi I was interested to see there Delhi shop. If I could get some info regarding Army & Navy CSL and P. Orr address I would certainly like to pay them a visit.
I've been associated with former Indian hunters & shooters for quite long and am sorry to say but most of the members at 'www.indiansforguns.com' are story spinners rather than any real source of knowledge.

reddy375
.224 member

Reged: 31/01/07
Loc: NY, USA
      #196976 - 17/12/11 10:41 AM

All long gone now..........

--------------------
Arjun Reddy
www.huntersnetworks.com
30 Ivy Hill Road
Brewster, NY 10509
Tel: 845 259 3628
Email:arjun@huntersnetworks.com

mehulkamdar
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/04
Loc: State of Ill-Annoy USA.
Re: Manton & Co. Where in Delhi???? [Re: reddy375]
      #197013 - 17/12/11 06:11 PM

The Manton firm exists on paper, as does Rodda. Some of the other companies in Calcutta / Kolkata including Daw, Biswas and Lyon and Lyon also exist on paper though none of them sells guns as far as I am aware. None of them has done much business since 1984 when the import of guns into India was banned. I did try talking to them about copies of their records for a British website some years ago but their terms were ridiculous.

Delhi has other shops but none of the old names as far as I am aware. And the Indians For Guns website is a joke. I used to post there but haven't been there in several years. Unless you want to waste time, there's no reason to bother with checking there.

--------------------
The Ark was made by amateurs. Experts built the Titanic.

Mehul Kamdar

rigbymauser
.400 member

Reged: 15/05/05
Loc: Denmark
Re: Manton & Co. Where in Delhi???? [Re: mehulkamdar]
      #197017 - 17/12/11 07:19 PM

I too have been asking about regarding the Mantons as I have a double rifle from them. I wonder if they do have the records of their sold guns in India?...

Panther: If you find anything in India that could become of any use please get some contact info like e-mail, person to talk to etc...and ofcouse pictures of the present day from the adress .

mehulkamdar
.416 member

Re: Manton & Co. Where in Delhi???? [Re: rigbymauser]
      #197055 - 18/12/11 03:02 AM

Jens,

They do have records, my friend. I asked if they would be willing to donate copies to the now defunct Internet Gun Club website or to the Birmingham Proof House some years ago when I was asked to check by John Smith. The current owners have a textile and clothing business and they still retain a license to deal in firearms but are not doing any business from what I know. I was told that they retain the dealers' license because they have a decent number of old guns that they are holding on to in the hope of selling them for a substantial profit someday.

The situation is the same with Rodda and others. John Smith was interested in Rodda as he is descended from the Rodda founders on his mother's side. The Calcutta gun shops have retained their licenses unlike old gun dealers in other parts of India like P Orr and Sons from Madras / Chennai who gave their license up and destroyed all records.

Good hunting!

--------------------

Mehul Kamdar

doubleriflejack
.333 member

Reged: 11/11/07
Loc: Oregon, U.S.A.
      #197082 - 18/12/11 06:56 AM

You may be way too late, or nearly so. I understand that quite some time back, Westley Richards, and others, bought up all the good guns they could find in India, and took them home to refurbish and sell on world market. I also understand that now most, if not all, of the good old gun dealers, shops, that were in India at one time, are all but gone.

mehulkamdar
.416 member

Re: Manton & Co. Where in Delhi???? [Re: doubleriflejack]
      #197115 - 18/12/11 11:28 AM

Doubleriflejack,

Not entirely accurate. Walter Clode did buy a lot of guns and he sold them at insane profits, but there still are a number of palace armories and gun shops tucked away inside India. Exports are very difficult these days but are not impossible. There is also the problem that India requires a special license to export anything that is more than 100 years old.

I recently had to give up buying some really nice guns that a cousin who is one of India's biggest art dealers showed me for this reason. There are guns, but you can;t take them out unless you have the political connections to get the relevant licenses.

--------------------

Mehul Kamdar

500Nitro
.450 member

#197120 - 18/12/11 12:22 PM

Quote:

Panther: If you find anything in India that could become of any use please get some contact info like e-mail, person to talk to etc...and ofcouse pictures of the present day from the adress .

I'd be extremely wary of buying anything direct out of India without going there to see for yourself.

I know of 2 people who did buy, based on photographs. Let's say that the guns were not as described, one DR cost the guy thousands to fix up and even then it wasn't right.

What they offer you would be the lowest dregs they have that they can ask the highest $$$ for because they know people will think they are getting a bargain.

I've also seen other photos from India of guns for sale, let's say they conveniently make sure certain photos are not taken or parts of the guns are not in the photo so no faults are shown.

500Nitro
.450 member

#197124 - 18/12/11 12:33 PM

"Walter Clode did buy a lot of guns and he sold them at insane profits,"

And you wouldn't have done the same ?

Anyway, if the Indian's were too stupid to know the value of what they were selling and letting H&H, WR and quite a few others come in and buy up everything cheaply, don't blame the buyers.

If I said to you that 10 x perfect working order WR, H&H, Purdey DR's were available for cash sale at $1000 a pop and all you had to do was hop on a plane and fly over, don't tell me that you wouldn't be on the first plane there with a load of cash.

You can buy my Westley Richards 500 Nitro Boxlock Ejector for $5000 if you want.

shamus
.224 member

Reged: 24/10/11
Loc: NZ
      #197128 - 18/12/11 12:49 PM

I have had the pleasure of meeting (and buying some rifles off) an experienced hunter here in NZ and he told me about the Manton shop in Calcutta, He said it was amazing to go in there as the place was full of lovely rifle etc.
He also tried to purchase rifles but the red tape was too extensive, but heard that months later someone came and brought the whole lot.
Apparently a lot of the rifles ended up in Australia?
He also relayed stories of hunting rogue Elephant whilst in India back in the 70’s
It would have been amazing. I was born too late I think.

--------------------
Shamus

500Nitro
.450 member

Re: Manton & Co. Where in Delhi???? [Re: shamus]
      #197129 - 18/12/11 01:09 PM

More than a whole lot ended up in Aust.

Thousands of guns / DR's ended up here courtesy of a few.

panther
.224 member

#197151 - 18/12/11 05:15 PM

Hi Fellows,
I guess I must make myself clear up here. Please read my orignal Post.
I never said I intend to buy any DR gun over in India, my sole purpose is to see whether the Manton & others are still there or what's running in there place. On my last trip I visited the Gun Stores at Delhi just out of curiosity to see what they sell and not for buying/importing 'whole lot of H&H, Rigby & WR DRs at dirt cheap prices'. Thanks.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#197200 - 18/12/11 11:25 PM

Quote:

I'd be extremely wary of buying anything direct out of India without going there to see for yourself.

I know of 2 people who did buy, based on photographs. Let's say that the guns were not as described, one DR cost the guy thousands to fix up and even then it wasn't right.

What they offer you would be the lowest dregs they have that they can ask the highest $$$ for because they know people will think they are getting a bargain.

I've also seen other photos from India of guns for sale, let's say they conveniently make sure certain photos are not taken or parts of the guns are not in the photo so no faults are shown.

We've had examples of that on NE years ago with one member claiming to have five DRs for sale in India. The prices were not too bad. I was flying to Europe and said I would stop off to see them and inspect them. He promptly disappeared.

A year later, another member told me, the same guy was carrying on the same scam. Again when asked for good quality photos he disappeared into the ether.

Similar to a current day scam, where guys paid up front for a new start DR "maker" where nothing ever turned up.

If something is "cheap" - why?
If something is too good to be true - it probably is.
If its a reputable long established business it is more likely there won't be problems. If its a start up business or one hardly heard of, except on the internet, look for a way to pay on delivery.
Don't send thousands of dollars to someone, especially in a foreign country, without looking at it in person, or having some reputable to do it for you.
Try to have it handed over to you in person when paying for the bulk of the price, or over to a third party looking after your interests.

Quote:

Hi Fellows,
I guess I must make myself clear up here. Please read my orignal Post.
I never said I intend to buy any DR gun over in India, my sole purpose is to see whether the Manton & others are still there or what's running in there place. On my last trip I visited the Gun Stores at Delhi just out of curiosity to see what they sell and not for buying/importing 'whole lot of H&H, Rigby & WR DRs at dirt cheap prices'. Thanks.

Understood! But if you find some, tell me.

Take some photos if you can, if you find any interesting gun shops having the charm of bygone days.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Edited by NitroX (18/12/11 11:27 PM)

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#197201 - 18/12/11 11:29 PM

Quote:

now defunct Internet Gun Club website

Are they gone? Just checked and there is a website, but seemingly no posts for a year or two.

I see they went to a paid subscription membership.

I remember some of the gunmaker histories were quite good, when they were free and accessible.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

mehulkamdar
.416 member

#197214 - 19/12/11 01:45 AM

500 Nitro,

I don't need to sell guns in order to make a living. And, when I do sell something, let's just say that it is worth a lot more than something that a bored member of India's minor royalty gave one of his servants and which ended up being advertised as something out of the raja or nawab's palace armory. There's a difference between selling genuinely good stuff and flogging junk.

Clode is a turd who managed to sell a lot of junk to idiots in the West who didn't know better. Good for him. It still didn't help his company much. AFAIK they still don't do a turnover of more than a million pounds a year and that includes his company's engineering business. H&H, Purdey and others are vastly better companies than Westley Richards, and they do buy guns in India now. The palace armories sell to them. They won't sell to Clode or his son, who, I am told is a better man than his father. And those are good guns that end up with the London names - well cared for, unlike the crap that Clode flogged in his time.

A private buyer (even someone with a lot of money) most likely wouldn't be able to even enter some of the private armories that are still owned by India's former royalty, leave alone buy anything there. That's why there's no shortage of hucksters flogging junk trying to make a quick buck. And the Indians flogging junk are no different from Clode in this respect.

--------------------

Mehul Kamdar

mehulkamdar
.416 member

Re: Manton & Co. Where in Delhi???? [Re: NitroX]
      #197215 - 19/12/11 01:49 AM

No idea if they're back, John. Some Brit forums have been speculating that they went belly up. They had an arrangement with the Birmingham Proof House by which they had access to the records of many of the gunmakers. I know that John Smith had severe health problems from smoking - he told me this many years ago himself. I hope he is well. Smith is a nice chap and the site was a nice one to research old guns.

--------------------

Mehul Kamdar

AkMike
.416 member

Reged: 19/11/05
Loc: Anchorage, Alaska
      #197228 - 19/12/11 05:12 AM

Wouldn't it be nice to be able to annex the defunct site with this one. They were a very good place to look for records.

--------------------
"When you see that in order to produce, you need to obtain permission from men who produce nothing; when you see that money is flowing to those who deal not in goods, but in favors; you may know that your society is doomed." Ayn Rand

rigbymauser
.400 member

Re: Manton & Co. Where in Delhi???? [Re: AkMike]
      #197229 - 19/12/11 05:26 AM

Dearest friend Mehul.

Thanks for sharing the info you know!.

When you get overhere, Sweden it is, I`LL have a batch of ammo loaded up for the Manton 10Bore + some other funny guns.

I hope indeed the good Mr. Panther will take some good photos along the way in Calcutta .

Edited by rigbymauser (19/12/11 05:30 AM)

rigbymauser
.400 member

#197230 - 19/12/11 05:51 AM

http://www.indiankanoon.org/doc/1252857/

500Nitro
.450 member

#197231 - 19/12/11 07:03 AM

Meh,

Not disagreeing with you. A few more stories around than just him being a turd.

Re "Clode is a turd who managed to sell a lot of junk to idiots in the West who didn't know better."

I hate to say this, but when the Love of British guns took off, a hell of a lot of out of proof guns in the UK got sold to the US and some US Dealers bought a lot of UK guns and shipped them to the US for sale, just as Clode had done from India to the UK.

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
1 registered and 88 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 11147

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com