Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Vicarious pleasures

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Rifles

Pages: 1
xausa
.400 member

Reged: 07/03/07
Loc: Tennessee, USA
Vicarious pleasures
      #194795 - 25/11/11 04:19 AM

As some of you are aware, age and infirmity have led me to pass on some of my lifetime accumulation of rifles, handguns and shotguns to others who I hope will appreciate them as much as I. One recent recipient of such a rifle, a .30-'06 Winchester Model 70 of 1930's vintage, equipped with a contemporary Lyman Alaskan All Weather scope, sent me this photograph of the results of his first hunt with the rifle.

If other recipients would do the same I would be greatly pleased.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
PHMadness
.275 member

Reged: 26/05/11
Loc: Seattle, WA
Re: Vicarious pleasures [Re: xausa]
      #194798 - 25/11/11 04:50 AM

That is too cool. I only hope someday I have some family members interested in receiving and using some of mine.

tinker
.416 member

Reged: 12/03/05
Loc: Nevada
Re: Vicarious pleasures [Re: PHMadness]
      #194799 - 25/11/11 04:55 AM

Nice!

Cheers
Tinker

--------------------
--Self-Appointed Colonel, DRSS--

"It IS a dangerous game, and so named for a reason, and you can't play from the keyboard. " --Some Old Texan...

9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
Re: Vicarious pleasures [Re: tinker]
      #194804 - 25/11/11 05:12 AM

Marvelous!

Your Winchester is in good hands!

Very glad to know the new owner is putting it to work again. Very special thing.

Thanks for posting Xausa.

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

500Nitro
.450 member

Reged: 06/01/03
Loc: Victoria, Australia
Re: Vicarious pleasures [Re: 9.3x57]
      #194816 - 25/11/11 07:52 AM

Awesome. Gun looks in very good condition for a 1930's era.

I agree, it's great to get photos from a new owner of a gun.

The best I received was from the new owner of my Lancaster 450/400 who sent me photos of Lion, buffalo and elephant.

Rule303
.416 member

Reged: 05/07/09
Loc: Woodford Qld
      #194833 - 25/11/11 12:44 PM

Well done xausa. Glad that the new owner is puting such a fine rifle to good work.

FATBOY404
.400 member

Reged: 14/11/09
Loc: QLD
Re: Vicarious pleasures [Re: Rule303]
      #194834 - 25/11/11 12:59 PM

Wish I was a family member.!

--------------------
"WHATEVER BLOWS YOUR HAIR BACK"

xausa
.400 member

Re: Vicarious pleasures [Re: FATBOY404]
      #194854 - 25/11/11 04:47 PM

I'm not talking about family members here. None of my three sons is interested in shooting or hunting, and my only grandson is not yet five years old and lives 2400 miles away. My rifles have been going to strangers, who will not remain strangers afterwards, I hope.

gryphon
.450 member

Reged: 01/01/03
Loc: Sambar ground/Victoria/Austral...
      #194858 - 25/11/11 07:44 PM

That`s what the rifle is for..hunting not just being trotted out as a 'look at my `30s M70'

Nice end to the sale.

--------------------
Get off the chair away from the desk and get out in the bush and enjoy life.

Carpetsahib
.333 member

Reged: 29/04/07
Loc: Western NC
      #194939 - 26/11/11 04:05 PM

Quote:

As some of you are aware, age and infirmity have led me to pass on some of my lifetime accumulation of rifles, handguns and shotguns to others who I hope will appreciate them as much as I. One recent recipient of such a rifle, a .30-'06 Winchester Model 70 of 1930's vintage, equipped with a contemporary Lyman Alaskan All Weather scope, sent me this photograph of the results of his first hunt with the rifle.

If other recipients would do the same I would be greatly pleased.

At first I thought that was the rifle I traded to you in July, 1979. But that rifle was a pre-war M70 in .300 H&H, not 30-06. In the trade, you got my rifle, sans Lyman Alaskan scope, in exchange for a M70 super grade in .300 H&H, and some baksheesh.

By the way, do you still have that particular rifle? (I can PM the S/N to you) If so, would it be for sale?

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Vicarious pleasures [Re: gryphon]
      #194950 - 26/11/11 05:40 PM

Quote:

That`s what the rifle is for..hunting not just being trotted out as a 'look at my `30s M70'

Nice end to the sale.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
Re: Vicarious pleasures [Re: NitroX]
      #194965 - 26/11/11 11:55 PM

I'll add that I've seen pix of some of Xausa's collection.

All collections have a genre if you will, and Xausa's is a snapshot in time of the guns I remember being talked about and admired when I was young and getting into the game. Alas, for finance reasons I've never been able to build such a fine collection, but as he says, there are such things as "vicarious pleasures" and for me that is knowing such guns are kept, admired and used by those who can share them with others in both picture and word. The style and engineering ideas they possess are so helpful to those who may want to "roll their own" in the future, and copy the classic lines of many of those great guns.

I for one have greatly appreciated Xausa's posts, shared expertise and creativity, photos of "back in the day" and to be frank, more than everything else, his service to our country in a day when it was not popular to do so.

As we live in a time yet again when cowards seek to rule, let us never forget the lives of men like Xausa.

Thank God for men like Xausa and thanks Xausa!

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

xausa
.400 member

Re: Vicarious pleasures [Re: Carpetsahib]
      #194967 - 27/11/11 01:32 AM

Quote:

By the way, do you still have that particular rifle? (I can PM the S/N to you) If so, would it be for sale?

Kirk,

A lot of water under the bridge since then. The only .300 H&H I own at the present is the one I took with me to Africa in 1971, 1972 and 1974. It is obviously not the one I got from you.

You evidently keep far better records than I. I have sold two Model 70 .300 H&H's in the last year, but neither of them was your rifle either. You can send me the serial number and I will dredge around a little in the records to see what I can come up with.

Bill

Carpetsahib
.333 member

Reged: 29/04/07
Loc: Western NC
Re: Vicarious pleasures [Re: 9.3x57]
      #194986 - 27/11/11 07:44 AM

Quote:

I'll add that I've seen pix of some of Xausa's collection.

All collections have a genre if you will, and Xausa's is a snapshot in time of the guns I remember being talked about and admired when I was young and getting into the game. Alas, for finance reasons I've never been able to build such a fine collection, but as he says, there are such things as "vicarious pleasures" and for me that is knowing such guns are kept, admired and used by those who can share them with others in both picture and word. The style and engineering ideas they possess are so helpful to those who may want to "roll their own" in the future, and copy the classic lines of many of those great guns.

I for one have greatly appreciated Xausa's posts, shared expertise and creativity, photos of "back in the day" and to be frank, more than everything else, his service to our country in a day when it was not popular to do so.

As we live in a time yet again when cowards seek to rule, let us never forget the lives of men like Xausa.

Thank God for men like Xausa and thanks Xausa!

Back 40 years ago, Xausa owned one of the finest gunshops in the USA. He can correct me if I am wrong, but I believe he bought a large quantity of African and Indian guns and rifles in London, and moved everything to Tennessee. What a haul that was: Alexander Henry, James Purdey, H&H, Westley Richards, Churchill, Lancaster, Wilkinson, Jeffery were just a few of the famous makers represented.

His partner in the venture, Harry Creighton, was one of the finest men I have ever known, as well as being a top-notch metal smith. Their shop was a gathering place for all the riff-raff of sporting persuasion in the Nashville area, and indeed, most of Middle Tennessee! Did I mention it was an enjoyable place?

ozhunter
.400 member

Reged: 18/08/04
Loc: Sydney, Australia
Re: Vicarious pleasures [Re: Carpetsahib]
      #195038 - 28/11/11 12:04 AM

I don't mind the idea of my rifles going to strangers once I'm done with them. Much better to have someone who really wants them than the alternative.
One story I heard was of a guy who said yes to selling his William-Evans 470 providing it dose not reach a collector until its was "shot out". I hope I get the opportunity to "Shoot out" some of my rifles.

ard
.224 member

Reged: 08/12/11
Loc: Tennessee, United States
Re: Vicarious pleasures [Re: ozhunter]
      #196199 - 09/12/11 12:47 PM

I am a new member and just so happen to be the proud owner of the pre war M70 ....and the moderate harvest displayed in Xausa's post. I have been honored with the opportunity, not only to aquire some excellent rifles, but to also be under the tutiage of this fine man. I am extremely happy to have him cross my path.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 73 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4006

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com