Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: 72 Kodiak

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Muzzleloaders & Blackpowder

Pages: 1
TomN
.300 member

Reged: 07/03/10
Loc: washington
72 Kodiak
      #195788 - 05/12/11 08:24 AM

just got back from the range. Using 90 grains of 2f my group was about 51/2" center of right and left barrell groups and about 51/2" high. The rignt was crossing too 23/4" and the left crossing to 3" both were from center of each group. Right barrell was in a 2" group and the left barrell was in a 21/2" group also from the center of each group more powder didn't change much till about 115 grains them they opened to about 8 to 10" apart. What ot do now? I guess I could try some 3f as I have a lot of that powder I will just havve to wait and see.

TomN

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
tinker
.416 member

Reged: 12/03/05
Loc: Nevada
Re: 72 Kodiak [Re: TomN]
      #195793 - 05/12/11 10:39 AM

Run the Gorx 3f, try some Swiss if that doesn't work out.
I've had success with 1-1/2F Swiss where I couldn't get Goex to work.

It's possible you have a rifle that won't shoot with big charges.
Make double damn sure that the wood-metal fit is dead-on at the breech.
If the metal's banging around in there you don't stand a chance.

Cheers
Tinker

--------------------
--Self-Appointed Colonel, DRSS--

"It IS a dangerous game, and so named for a reason, and you can't play from the keyboard. " --Some Old Texan...

DarylSModerator
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: 72 Kodiak [Re: tinker]
      #195794 - 05/12/11 11:01 AM

That 8 to 10" apart - were they shooting 8" to 10" apart or were they crossing by 8" to 10"? (IE; they were already crossing by 5 1/2" - did this increase to 8" - 10" at 115gr. which is what I think you are saying.

The individual barrel accuracy you've noted is not very good, Tom.

Your 12 bore should easily make a 1" (on centres) groups with each barrel for 3 or 4 shots. Work needs to be done on the load combination before progressing, in my opinion.

This is what I'd do. Try different patch materials. I think you have a .715" mould bought or .715" balls. I understand from others here, that the 12 bore Kodiaks have bore diameters of .724". That is perfect for a .715" PURE LEAD ball and .020" or thicker patch in the relatively shallow Pedersoli rifling. With neetsfoot oil or mink oil, you should recover perfect patches that would allow you to re-lube and re-use them with identical accuracy - 1" or so at 50yards off a rest. Once you get the tubes shooting more accurately or as accurately as possible, then adjusting the powder charge is in order.

As long as you aren't needing to wipe the bore often (loading remains easy), you could proceed when you are happy with the individual accuracy.

Have you reduced the charge to see what happens - I would try it to see a trend. I wouldn't be happy if I had to reduce charges to get it to shoot in the end, but would do it just to find out what is happening with that rifle - what it does when the load changes.

Cut it back to 80gr. then 70gr. - shooting at a right hand target with the right barrel, then left hand target with the left barrel.

I would superpose the targets onto a white blank paper sheet and mark the hole centres - all the holes. Draw circles for bullet holes around the dots, with an L or R inside the circle so you can easily see the 'groups' and measure them. Different colour pens might also help, ie: red = right, blue = left. Mark this page for ball diameter and alloy, along with patch thickness, lube and powder charge.

Changing ball size can change regulation as the balls lose or gain weight depending on smaller or larger. Too - in smaller balls switching to WW alloys can effect weight even more.

What I would be looking for, for myself for elk, moose, bear and deer, would be a load that regulates with about 140 to 160gr. of 2F powder GOEX or Swiss.

If all you want to shoot is 115gr. or less, that's OK, but your velocity will be correspondingly low with a very high trajectory. It will certainly kill anything over here, but with trajectory, hitting well becomes a problem.

In order to get a good point blank range, you'll need to develope loads that shoot well with the powder charges I noted ie: for a 125yard point blank range where the ball is within 3" of point of aim, you'll probably need 165gr. of 2F (roughly 6 drams). Of course, that will kick a bit - probably about 70 fpe or so. I wear a shoulder pad when developing loads and shooting off a rest with my .69.

If all fails, you'll have to sight for the most accurate barrel and learn to hold for the 'bad' barrel.

Please do your shooting at 50 yards or even further, althogh it can be frustrating, the range makes a big difference to the trustability of what you are seeing on paper. 25 yards will not prove anything. Even my smoothbore shoots into 1" at 25 yards and it has no rifling and only a flattened bead for a front sight. At 50yards, you would be hard pressed to shoot a 6" group - so 50yards is the 'lie' detector in regards accuracy with these guns. the grouping is rarely linear. Shooting 1" at 25 yards does not mean 2" at 50 and 4" at 100, even with a rifle. I wish it did. Some will, some will shoot even better - most won't or don't.

You are well on your way - just more work to do, is all.

You can try 3F, but the pressure rise is pretty fast with that stuff. I wouldn't go over about 90gr. with 3F. It might be what you need to get the barrels uncrossed, only shooting will tell.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

TomN
.300 member

Re: 72 Kodiak [Re: DarylS]
      #195814 - 05/12/11 03:30 PM

Daryl S

The load and patch I am using now I doin't have to wipe beween shots just load I ran about 25 or more today without cleaning so I think that the patch is tight and getting to the botton of the groves. I may have to go to t7 or one of the other BP subs as I doin't think that anyone here in town carryes BP anymore to much troble to store is what I have been told. I may have to go down south to Berverton ore. to get real BP I will look here first though. I doin't know if I want to use a lode that is twice as much as the max. I here that a lot of people are using loads that are that high and I am not at all recoil shy but I doin't want to hurt the gun with to much powder. I used to hunt with a TC 58 cal. big bore and use 115 of 2f that load would go through a deer end to end and exit and that was with the 570 maxie ball. so 100 to 115 of 2f would sute me just fine if it would shot to point of aim I am not trying to make it a DG gun just deer and elk to arown 100 yards. I will keep at it like I said I can use the two sites and just flip them for each barrell. Thanks TomN

DarylSModerator
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: 72 Kodiak [Re: TomN]
      #195861 - 06/12/11 03:58 AM

Graf's ships anywhere in the US, I think and their prices even with the hazmat fee, is very good.

Stay away from the reinactor powders though, as they are of poor quality for sporting arms. I'd use Swiss (expensive) Scheutzen if I could get it or simply GOEX. Here, GOEX is about all we can get so that's what we use.

Yes - there is always that extra sight. I lucked out with mine, getting decent regulation, but not with the loads I wanted.

I've heard of guys putting 175gr. of T7 in those 12 bores Kodiaks. I would not do that as it's of higher pressure than BP to start with, possibly on par with Swiss? With Swiss, about 140 would be tops for me. The pressure would be around 9,000 to 10,000 psi, I'd expect - just a guess.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

TomN
.300 member

Re: 72 Kodiak [Re: DarylS]
      #195904 - 06/12/11 12:34 PM

Daryl S.

I have one more question. I have been holding the barrels right at the rear sites is this the right way to hold a double or should I just be holding the stock just under the barrels? It easyer to hold by grabing the barrels then just holding that small forstock but if it will make a differance then I will start holding that way. I have also read about those who are loading over 160 grains I think you are right about 140 would be as much as I would want to load in it I have loaded to 120 and that wasn't to bad didn't blow the hammars back or anything like that I have had that happen on some other rifles in the past but not this one as yet. I hope I will be able to get real BP I don't think that the drive to Berverton will be all that bad as its only about a 3 hour round trip. thanks TomN

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 5 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  DarylS 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2429

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com