Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Is there anywhere you can just hunt?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Australia, NZ & the South Pacific

Pages: 1
Ash
.400 member

Reged: 10/05/11
Loc: Australia
Is there anywhere you can just hunt?
      #195828 - 05/12/11 07:44 PM

In Australia, is there anywhere in any states you can just go to hunt, on government owned land, not private like farms etc? I assume such places would require permits of course, but in the US they seem to be able to go in the wildlife parks or public land etc?

Wow, that was a fairly poorly worded and structured question.

--------------------

Edited by Ash (05/12/11 07:46 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Dr_Deer
.300 member

Reged: 23/02/09
Re: Is there anywhere you can just hunt? [Re: Ash]
      #195829 - 05/12/11 08:24 PM

Yes, in certain national parks, wetlands, state forests and state game reserves in Victoria
see http://www.dse.vic.gov.au/recreation-and-tourism/game-hunting-home/victorian-hunting-guide for details.

There are also public lands where you can hunt waterfowl in the NT see http://www.nt.gov.au/nreta/wildlife/permits/pdf/waterfowlfact.pdf

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Is there anywhere you can just hunt? [Re: Dr_Deer]
      #195834 - 05/12/11 09:26 PM

NSW with an R permit. Victoria, lots of places, SA on unalienated crown land if you can find out where it is. Game reserves in SA with a duck permit. Same for the NT. Other places in states probably as well.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Altamaha
.333 member

Reged: 29/12/08
Loc: Washington State USA
      #195853 - 06/12/11 12:54 AM

Quote:

In Australia, is there anywhere in any states you can just go to hunt, on government owned land, not private like farms etc? I assume such places would require permits of course, but in the US they seem to be able to go in the wildlife parks or public land etc?

Wow, that was a fairly poorly worded and structured question.

Cannot hunt in wildlife parks or national parks in the US, but there is a lot of public land where hunting is allowed, both Federal owned and State owned.

Best hunting areas here are those that are difficult to get to: If it takes a two day horseback pack trip to get into high country Elk hunting, then the hunting is generally better than if it has road and 4X4 access. Less people and slob hunters in the way!!

Ripp should chime in and talk about Montana hunting.

Edited by Altamaha (06/12/11 12:55 AM)

Huvius
.416 member

Reged: 04/11/07
Loc: Colorado
Re: Is there anywhere you can just hunt? [Re: Altamaha]
      #195860 - 06/12/11 03:42 AM

Altahama is correct on the National Parks not being hunting areas.
There is a distinction between the National Parks and National Forest areas which are legal hunting areas here in Colorado.
Now, all big game hunting area here is divided into "game management units" which are usually smaller areas divided by ridgelines, roads and rivers etc.
I often dream of just being able to go out and hunt but here it is so structured as far as time constraints and competition with other hunters for the one elk or deer you are allowed on license.
Looks like hunting in Australia's NT is more like wide area hunting where many animals can be taken on a single hunt.
Looks wonderful!

--------------------
He who lives in the past is doomed to enjoy it.

450_EXPRESS
.333 member

Reged: 04/01/09
Loc: S.C.Montana
      #195870 - 06/12/11 07:27 AM

I think we're pretty fortunate in Montana, (which is why I moved here over 30 yrs ago) we have long seasons, 5-6 week archery and 5 week general rifle (deer,elk etc), so the hunting pressure is spread out more. The wife and I are both lucky enough to be able to work from home so we get out on weekdays (at least 3 times a week this past season) when there's less folks out. We have a good amount of public land which is where we do the vast majority of our hunting, this year only 2 days each on private, the rest all public. For us the public lands are vital, besides hunting (which is practically all our red meat supply) it's also a place year round,where one can grab a gun, your kids, whatever and just go for a walk or sit and watch the sky go by and not have to ask for anyone's leave to do so. At least it feels like freedom.

9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
Re: Is there anywhere you can just hunt? [Re: 450_EXPRESS]
      #195884 - 06/12/11 09:45 AM

Idaho Department of Lands; yes.
National Forest; yes.
Vast private timber lands; yes.
Bureau of Land Management Lands; yes

National Parks; no.
Idaho State Parks; no.

In Australia, basically, is it easy to just jump in the pickup and go hunt, or are the lands highly regulated, costs high, etc.

Practically-speaking, is it expensive/difficult?

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

Matt_Graham
Sponsor

Reged: 26/02/04
Re: Is there anywhere you can just hunt? [Re: 9.3x57]
      #195886 - 06/12/11 09:55 AM

Mate in NSW and VIC (for mammal hunting) you just buy a licence for public land and off you go. NSW you do have to do a test (very simple) before you buy the licence. firearm licencing is a different matter though.

--------------------
www.huntaust.com.au

Dr_Deer
.300 member

Reged: 23/02/09
Re: Is there anywhere you can just hunt? [Re: 9.3x57]
      #195891 - 06/12/11 10:30 AM

Quote:

In Australia, basically, is it easy to just jump in the pickup and go hunt, or are the lands highly regulated, costs high, etc.

The reason I left out NSW in my first post, is no, you cant just jump in the pick up with your licence in your backpack, instead you have to get online or make a call to book a spot (to hunt on public land).
Victoria still has no booking or reporting system, simplifying spur of the moment hunts (on public land). Ideal if you had a state forest on the route between work and home.

Edited by Dr_Deer (06/12/11 11:11 AM)

tophet1
.400 member

Reged: 15/09/07
Loc: NSW, Australia
Re: Is there anywhere you can just hunt? [Re: Dr_Deer]
      #195894 - 06/12/11 11:00 AM

In NSW and Qld if you have permission from the land owner you can hunt feral introduced species (most of our game) year round.

Getting that permission is usually word of mouth or via a friend of a friend. Newspaper adds and letter drops sometimes work.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 8 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2325

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com