Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Weimeraner's Firs trip

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting dogs

Pages: 1
.375 member

Reged: 15/02/11
Loc: NT Australia
Weimeraner's Firs trip
      #194074 - 19/11/11 12:04 AM

Picked up a weimeraner ( Mack) at 13 months. Spoilt pet. But showed signs of having potential. Spent a couple of days getting used to each other and reminding him that he's a dog. Decided to do a hunt on the geese and break him to gun shots.
Arrived and run a few Z's through the .22lr whilst my wife Jo kept him under control, progressed to subs then high velocity. Next was to be the shotgun from a distance.
Other shooters were firing and Mack was showing interest in what was going on. Eventual got a shot at some geese and pulled one down which landed in the water and Jo let Mack go for a look, he found the goose but wasn't sure what to do with it. Jo recovered the bird and let Mack loose. Stayed close to me for the rest of the arvo and found the other geese I shot.
A good afternoon, and even though Macks imature its good to have a weimeraner again.
Heres some pics Mick

Jo and Mack

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Sville
.400 member

Reged: 23/03/10
Loc: Sweden
Re: Weimeraner's Firs trip [Re: 264]
      #194090 - 19/11/11 05:46 AM

Weimaraner are good dogs, useful to many things. Itīs always interesting with new dogs, how they will shape and become. I had the pleasure last wednesday that my Bracke find out that it was possible to smell Fallow Deer and also bark in their tracks. But she barked both in backtracks and in the right way. Good see that she is interested. So I know the pleasure you feel about this hunt. Good Luck!!!!

mehulkamdar
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/04
Loc: State of Ill-Annoy USA.
Re: Weimeraner's Firs trip [Re: Sville]
      #194102 - 19/11/11 08:26 AM

I'm following this thread with interest - have always wanted a Weimaraner and I hope to buy one from a hunting strain in the very near future. I've heard a lot of negative criticism but only from people who've never owned a Weimaraner. I have to have a gray ghost soon.

--------------------
The Ark was made by amateurs. Experts built the Titanic.

Mehul Kamdar

.375 member

Re: Weimeraner's Firs trip [Re: mehulkamdar]
      #195147 - 28/11/11 07:42 PM

Macks done a few trips now and although he isnt retrieving he is marking birds that fall and it shouldn't take too much to get him to bring them back.
Interesting week for him discovering the joy of swamp mud march flies mosquitos, build up and that his fitness levels are low. Being a 13 month old he is still very uncoordinated. Still Im happy with his progress and his personality.
We have hunted Harrison on weekdays morning and nights. Birds are flying well but undiciplined shooters are keeping birds very high. Getting better numbers of geese, and the whistler duck numbers are lower we are still getting good numbers, of wandering and plumed whistlers.Heres some pics. Mick
Chris, Kids and Mack , Harrison dam.
Mack and results of a good morning
top wandering whistler, mid plumed whistler
Chris , Oscar, Tammy ,Chelsea plucking ducks
Chris, walking up to magpie geese
Chris into ducks and Geese
Results/ winchester 101 12g
Chris's first week on the 12gauge

Sville
.400 member

Reged: 23/03/10
Loc: Sweden
Re: Weimeraner's Firs trip [Re: 264]
      #195149 - 28/11/11 07:57 PM

Nice pics!! Looks like good hunting. I like your clothing, here we have 0 C, so I need more than a shirt!!! /Staffan

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #195158 - 28/11/11 09:12 PM

Check out well the girl in camouflage blends in to everyone else.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

.375 member

#195369 - 30/11/11 08:30 PM

Past few days have been around 33-37 celcius with showers in the afternoon , so very humid the next morning.
Been working mack with dummy duck ( sock with duck wings attached with tape). Goes good until he gets bored or distracted. Bringing back to hand and min effort to take the dummy of him. So progress is good heres a couple of pics of training. Mick

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1989

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com