Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Talking Turkey

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Australia, NZ & the South Pacific

Pages: 1
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Talking Turkey
      #194730 - 24/11/11 03:51 PM

Seeing it is Thanksgiving in the USA today ie Thursday, and turkey is a traditional food on this day, I'd thought I'd have a look at the Australian versions of "wild turkey".

Not known to a lot of people, Kangaroo Island in South Australia has a population of wild turkey. KI not having foxes has populations of animals extinguished elsewhere in Australia and also introduced populations of game normally hard hunted by foxes and wild cats.

A picture off the net of a bunch of "wild turkeys". I have taken some transparencies of them over the years, and they don't stand still for the camera, but are not that "wild". I doubt they are hunted much or at all. Are they protected? I don't know. Never shot one. Would like too, yes and eat it.

What species are they?

Found this reference on the net:

Quote:

Australian Brush-turkey Alectura lathami AMB Int Inc 4 6

Common name: #Australian Brush-turkey
Incidence: At least several records each season, includes the concept - resident
Abundance: Moderate
Historical Status: Increased, Introduced
Breeding: Breeding
Habitats: COASTAL MALLEE: coastal and subcoastal scrub and shrubland (heath), generally growing on limestone and calcareous dunes. FOREST: river valleys and alluvial plains.

Is this the same species as shown in the photo?

Also the "Australian Bush Turkey" is what the Bustard is often named, and that looks like a different bird completely to me.

Kangaroo Island

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Talking Turkey [Re: NitroX]
      #194731 - 24/11/11 03:54 PM

OK found what I was looking for:

http://birdsinbackyards.net/species/Alectura-lathami

Australian Brush-turkey

Scientific name: Alectura lathami
Family: Megapodiidae
Order: Galliformes

Featured Bird Groups
Birds behaving badly

What does it look like?
Description

The Australian Brush-turkey has a mainly black body plumage, bare red head, yellow throat wattle (pale blue in northern birds) and laterally flattened tail. The Australian Brush-turkey is not easily confused with any other Australian bird. It is the largest of Australia's three megapodes (Family Megapodiidae). The megapodes are a distinct family of the group of fowl-like birds (Order Galliformes), which includes quails, turkeys, peafowl and junglefowl.
Similar species

The smaller (45 cm) Orange-footed Scrubfowl, Megapodius freycinet, which shares part of the Australian Brush-turkey's northern range, is entirely dark grey to brown, with the exception of bright orange legs and feet. Australia's third megapode is the Malleefowl, Leipoa ocellata, a largely brown bird, barred with black, white and rufous. It is found in southern and south-western Australia.
Where does it live?
Distribution

The Australian Brush-turkey's range extends along eastern Australia, from Cape York Peninsula, Queensland, south to the northern suburbs of Sydney and the Illawarra region of New South Wales.
Habitat

The Australian Brush-turkey inhabits rainforests and wet schlerophyll forests, but can also be found in drier scrubs. In the northern part of its range, the Australian Brush-turkey is most common at higher altitudes, but individuals move to the lowland areas in winter months. In the south, it is common in both mountain and lowland regions.
What does it do?
Feeding

Brush-turkeys feed on insects, seeds and fallen fruits, which are exposed by raking the leaf litter or breaking open rotten logs with their large feet. The majority of food is obtained from the ground, with birds occasionally observed feeding on ripening fruits among tree branches.
Breeding

As with other megapodes, the Australian Brush-turkey incubates its eggs in a large mound. The male usually builds a single large mound of organic matter, approximately 4 m in diameter and 1 m high. Some males have been recorded with more than one mound, but this is not common. Eggs are laid by several females in a single mound. The eggs are incubated by the heat given off by the rotting vegetation. The male maintains a constant temperature of 33 - 38°C by digging holes in the mound and inserting his bill to check the heat, then adding and removing vegetable matter as required. Before the eggs hatch, many fall prey to burrowing predators such as goannas. After hatching, the chicks burrow out of the mound, at which point they are left to fend for themselves. These hatchlings are fully feathered and are able to walk and fend for themselves immediately. Remarkably, they are able to fly just a few hours after hatching.
Living with us
Living with humans

The Australian Brush-turkey can sometimes damage gardens when raking up the ground looking for food. The NSW Department of Environment and Climate Change is researching brush-turkey behaviour in urban areas and provides hints for living with them.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#194733 - 24/11/11 03:57 PM

Did you know?

Australian Brush-turkey chicks hatch fully feathered and can fly within a few hours.
Facts and figures
Research Species: No
Minimum size: 70 cm
Maximum size: 70 cm
Average size: 70 cm
Average weight: 2274 g
Clutch size: 50 eggs (from several females)
Incubation: 49 days
Conservation status

Federal - Secure
NSW - Secure
NT - Not present
Qld - Secure
SA - Not present
Tas - Not present
Vic - Not present
WA - Not present

Ha ha, not present in SA, but their map says otherwise ...

--------------------
John aka NitroX

500Nitro
.450 member

Reged: 06/01/03
Loc: Victoria, Australia
      #194734 - 24/11/11 03:59 PM

Good stuff John. I think it is the same one as the one that lives up Qld way.

NT also has a "turkey", albeit a "bush turkey" call the Orange footed Scrubfowl. I managed to find a few in a patch of rain forest this year.

Edit
You beat me to it with your second post.

Edited by 500Nitro (24/11/11 04:01 PM)

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Talking Turkey [Re: 500Nitro]
      #194735 - 24/11/11 04:08 PM

I think KI may also have feral domestic turkeys as well.

If anyone knows, please respond. I'm going to email to see if this is true.

I would love to organise an Annual "Thanksgiving" Turkey and Boar hunt to KI in November each year.

The pigs on KI are also very edible and very free from disease. Having been isolated on the island for centuries and not carrion eaters of note.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

CHAPUISARMES
.416 member

Reged: 16/01/08
Loc: DUBBO, NSW, AUSTRALIA
      #194738 - 24/11/11 04:30 PM

Sorry John,

You have this story terribly wrong.... This is the REAL one....

Cheers,

Jeff Gray

Matt_Graham
Sponsor

Reged: 26/02/04
Loc: Australia
Re: Talking Turkey [Re: CHAPUISARMES]
      #194776 - 24/11/11 11:40 PM

JH - the photo at the top is of domestic (feral??) turkeys, not native brush turkeys... not sure if you realised that??

--------------------
www.huntaust.com.au

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Talking Turkey [Re: Matt_Graham]
      #194777 - 24/11/11 11:45 PM

Yes there are some feral turkeys on KI as well.

And if not native, better chance they can be hunted.

As I said, I think a KI pig and turkey, Thanksgiving (Nov) hunt would be a cool idea.

If one can find both. Maybe a KI McNab, a turkey, a pig, and a snapper (or some fish species) on the same day.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Dr_Deer
.300 member

Reged: 23/02/09
      #194825 - 25/11/11 11:39 AM

The best place for turkey (introduced species) hunting is probably on Flinders Island in conjunction with a cape barren goose and wallaby hunt.

Not sure if anyone here other than Rob is a member but I'm sure AHI book an annual hunt down there with these guys http://www.rockjawtours.com.au/turkey.htm

As for native bush turkey and the bustard found further north and inland, I'm a bit sceptical and would like to know how well they cook up before lobbying for a sustainable harvest

gryphon
.450 member

Reged: 01/01/03
Loc: Sambar ground/Victoria/Austral...
      #194826 - 25/11/11 11:41 AM

And a seal hunt too!

--------------------
Get off the chair away from the desk and get out in the bush and enjoy life.

500Nitro
.450 member

Reged: 06/01/03
Loc: Victoria, Australia
Re: Talking Turkey [Re: Dr_Deer]
      #194827 - 25/11/11 11:42 AM

I believe they "native bush turkey and the bustard" cook up well, have met a few white's who have eaten them and of course Aboriginies, but Abs will eat anything.

I would say that considering we eat other animals / birds that eat similar food, they would taste good.

And served right next to the Roast spuds, carrots and peas !!! LOL

Dr_Deer
.300 member

Reged: 23/02/09
Re: Talking Turkey [Re: 500Nitro]
      #194828 - 25/11/11 11:53 AM

I've run into a few bustards travelling through Queensland over the years - they dont look that appetizing to me, but perhaps "tenderising" them with a bullbar at ~100kms/h gives a false impression of their culinary appeal

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Talking Turkey [Re: Dr_Deer]
      #194839 - 25/11/11 01:33 PM

Quote:

As for native bush turkey and the bustard found further north and inland, I'm a bit sceptical and would like to know how well they cook up before lobbying for a sustainable harvest

I've read that at certain seasons they are quite appetising but at other seasons not. Due to the bustards diet during different times of the year. From what I read the Aborigines know this and are smart.

Quote:

The best place for turkey (introduced species) hunting is probably on Flinders Island in conjunction with a cape barren goose and wallaby hunt.

No pigs there.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Matt_Graham
Sponsor

#194958 - 26/11/11 06:40 PM

I have tried plains turkey a couple times and they are pretty good. Have never been ina position to try brush turkey, although there are plenty around here on the coast. Another local favourite among the locals here is lyre-bird... another tasty looking ground bird - I have never been in the position to try that. I believe that is our state bird too...

--------------------
www.huntaust.com.au

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#194959 - 26/11/11 06:53 PM

BTW I would like to join a Australian Hunters International shoot/hunt on Flinders Island one day. Sounds like fun.

Matt,

Lyre-bird! You heathen. Straight to hell with you.

I was reading that the Europeans often eat starlings too and they are a delicacy. Will I ever try eating one?

I bet you some of the native parrots would be tasty if it was allowed. Galahs? Look meaty but said to be tough. Could try one of them one day as I can shoot them over crops.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Matt_Graham
Sponsor

#194963 - 26/11/11 07:36 PM

Lyre Bird - hey JH - dont shoot the reporter!!! I didnt say I had tried it. I heard one local just east of here going on about bush pheasnts... took me ages to work out he was talking about lyre birds. Then he took me to the place where he gets them and there were dozens of them... never knew could get or seen so many in one place.

Yes the AHI hunt would be fun... I would like to get a CB Goose to have stuffed...

I have shot plenty hundreds of starling but never tried them but I would like too. Galahs - yeah hell I would give anything a go!!

Most mainland Australians find the thought of eating possums revolting but Tasmanians love them!!

--------------------
www.huntaust.com.au

Edited by Matt_Graham (26/11/11 07:37 PM)

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#194964 - 26/11/11 09:57 PM

Quote:

I heard one local just east of here going on about bush pheasants... took me ages to work out he was talking about lyre birds. Then he took me to the place where he gets them and there were dozens of them... never knew could get or seen so many in one place.

Sounds like big pheasants to me.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 15 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3787

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com