Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Duck hunting is an obsession for Arkansas town

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in the Americas

Pages: 1
Story
.333 member

Reged: 15/10/08
Loc: SE PA, USA
Duck hunting is an obsession for Arkansas town
      #194592 - 23/11/11 03:45 AM

Quote:

(Reuters) - Rocker Ted Nugent has hunted duck in Arkansas. So have former Vice President Dick Cheney and Secretary of State Hillary Clinton.

They are not alone.

Stuttgart, about 55 miles east of Little Rock, is known as the duck capital of the world. For the next two months, thousands of hunters will descend on eastern Arkansas and drop millions into the state's economy. The Stuttgart Chamber of Commerce estimates that duck hunting contributes more than $1 million a day to the town's economy. This year's season opened on Saturday.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/11/22/us-hunting-ducks-arkansas-idUSTRE7AK2LS20111122

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
500Nitro
.450 member

Reged: 06/01/03
Loc: Victoria, Australia
Re: Duck hunting is an obsession for Arkansas town [Re: Story]
      #194604 - 23/11/11 05:32 AM

Interesting.

"For the next two months, thousands of hunters will descend on eastern Arkansas and drop millions into the state's economy."

Sounds like some places here in Australia when we had big duck seasons in Vic and NSW. They all said that they missed the extra income when the duck shooting stopped in NSW and the drought hit Victoria.

Kiwi_bloke
.333 member

Reged: 03/09/09
Loc: New Zealand
Re: Duck hunting is an obsession for Arkansas town [Re: 500Nitro]
      #198748 - 05/01/12 08:28 PM

Next time you hear on the news that some new movie grossed tens of millions more than any other before it at the box-office in it's opening weekend, keep in mind that hunting and shooting sports made much more income than any of those movies that same weekened -and every other weekend of the year besides. In fact, they make more than most Fortune-500 companies that are house-hold names, Goodyear, Boeing etc. That's an awful lot of spending power but, in the case of hunting especially, it's very often in out of the way (and often somewhat economically depressed) rural towns besides. Deer or duck season is like a second Christmas for many retailers in these towns, not just Stuttgart, Arkansas. I make a point of buying some of my supplies in these rural areas, just to push home that fact that hunting and shooting sports are good for their community. Some of the more astute politicians representing these people, have come to know the value of hunting and shooting to them - including putting meat on the poor-man's table for his whole family, that might not otherwise have it to eat. When the P.C. brigade fool around with these things, the implications run deep.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 13 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1222

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com