Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Fletcher Jamieson .500 Jeffery

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mauser Discussion Forum

Pages: 1
Pugwash
.300 member

Reged: 24/03/07
Loc: Scotland,UK
Fletcher Jamieson .500 Jeffery
      #194379 - 21/11/11 09:53 PM

Hi Everyone,
I am looking for a bit of help with a project I am going to embark on.I have been asked by one of my customers to build a replica of Fletcher Jamieson's .500 Jeffery rifle.I would like to keep it as close to the original as possible,so if anyone can help with some very clear photo's and any other info I would be truly grateful.
Also if anyone would know any of the external barrel dimensions that would be a massive help.
regards
Mark

Edited by Pugwash (21/11/11 10:10 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
mehulkamdar
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/04
Loc: State of Ill-Annoy USA.
Re: Fletcher Jamieson .500 Jeffery [Re: Pugwash]
      #194419 - 22/11/11 02:56 AM

Mark,

Can't help with the pics, but if you build it, it will be a masterpiece. Would you please consider posting pictures of the build over here?

And, since I am the official pesterer for forum pics, I would request you to please post pics of any other guns that you have built and which you might want to share as well.

For members who may be unaware, Mark now owns the J Farquharson Gun and Riflemakers business and he builds guns that others brand and sell under their names.

--------------------
The Ark was made by amateurs. Experts built the Titanic.

Mehul Kamdar

kuduae
.400 member

Reged: 13/01/10
Loc: middle of Germany
Re: Fletcher Jamieson .500 Jeffery [Re: mehulkamdar]
      #194426 - 22/11/11 04:28 AM

I suppose F.J. used one of the super rare Jeffery rifles, less than 30 ever made. Jon Speed in his book "Mauser Original Oberndorf Sporting Rifles", pages 231 and 237, shows two such rifles, both apparently put together by the same man, though one was retailed by G.Gibbs. Both rifles are built on square bridge Mauser Magnum actions, have massive barrel shanks, same diameter as the receiver ring, and a pg stock without cheekpiece, with horn foreend tip and island type express sights.

Igorrock
.400 member

Reged: 01/03/07
Loc: Finland
Re: Fletcher Jamieson .500 Jeffery [Re: kuduae]
      #194435 - 22/11/11 05:16 AM

Here is one picture which I found in Internet. Not so high quality but picture anyway.

--------------------
http://promaakari.wordpress.com/

Edited by CptCurl (28/11/11 01:11 AM)

mckinney
.400 member

Reged: 29/01/09
Loc: usa
Re: Fletcher Jamieson .500 Jeffery [Re: Igorrock]
      #194451 - 22/11/11 05:48 AM

Try this link http://auctions.holtsauctioneers.com/asp...5&saletype=

The Jamieson rifle was sold at a Holt's auction in June 2009 for 30,000 GBP. The photos are quite good. Certainly a very special rifle that I would have loved to have.

9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
Re: Fletcher Jamieson .500 Jeffery [Re: mckinney]
      #194455 - 22/11/11 06:06 AM

I don't normally post on the big bores, but THAT sounds like a grand project!!

PLEASE keep us posted.

I imagine it was something of an unembellished, working rifle?

Very cool idea.

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

Pugwash
.300 member

Re: Fletcher Jamieson .500 Jeffery [Re: 9.3x57]
      #194458 - 22/11/11 06:23 AM

Thanks for the links and pics.The rifle actually had a small amount of scroll engraving down each side of the action and also on the magazine box lid.It is a truly magnificent rifle with its huge diameter 26 inch barrel.I havent built many bolt action rifles in recent years but couldn't resist this one.
Please dont expect instant results as my workload with the shotguns is ridiclous,but it will get there and I will manage to get some photos on here somehow.

Mark

mckinney
.400 member

Reged: 29/01/09
Loc: usa
      #194459 - 22/11/11 06:25 AM

See the Holt's description and photos in the post above. It was built on an original magnum mauser action with horn forend, etc. - something along the lines of a G&H magnum mauser of the period with English touches. I would describe it as unembellished but classy. It has a great patina in the photos.

9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
Re: Fletcher Jamieson .500 Jeffery [Re: mckinney]
      #194460 - 22/11/11 07:01 AM

Every single time I climb down in my well to fix the cantankerous contraption {just had to work on it again the other day} I think of Fletcher Jamieson...

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

Altamaha
.333 member

Reged: 29/12/08
Loc: Washington State USA
      #194463 - 22/11/11 07:54 AM

Quote:

Every single time I climb down in my well to fix the cantankerous contraption {just had to work on it again the other day} I think of Fletcher Jamieson...

Yea be sure to disconnect the power or another White Hunter will head for the promised land!

Was a shame, countless elephants killed but taken out by a silly farm chore!

Might be a photo in the early issues of Hatari Times.

Edited by Altamaha (22/11/11 07:55 AM)

Altamaha
.333 member

Reged: 29/12/08
Loc: Washington State USA
Re: Fletcher Jamieson .500 Jeffery [Re: Altamaha]
      #194471 - 22/11/11 08:33 AM

Found it, Hatari Times Issue No. 1 has a left side photo of the Jamieson 500 Jeffery.

And photos of Tony Sanchez-Arino's 500 Jeffery rifles, all in a 9 page article by Tony and Harald Wolf.

I am betting that Harald Wolf has more photos of the Jamieson rifle.

If you are a 500 Jeffery fan you need to read this article!

Edited by Altamaha (23/11/11 12:31 AM)

HogPilot
.300 member

Reged: 26/05/09
Loc: Texas
Re: Fletcher Jamieson .500 Jeffery [Re: Altamaha]
      #194515 - 22/11/11 05:14 PM

The photo above is of Dave Fulson from Safari Classics holding the rifle. There is a very good description and video presentation of the Fletcher Jamison rifle now owned by Bill Jones on the Boddington on African Rifles DVD. It's well worth the price of admission as it covers a wide variety of weapons and cartridges, including some special rifles like FJ's as well as John "Pondoro" Taylor's Wilkes 450 NE now owned by the fellow who owns "The Firing Line" gun store in Denver, CO.

CHAPUISARMES
.416 member

Reged: 16/01/08
Loc: DUBBO, NSW, AUSTRALIA
Re: Fletcher Jamieson .500 Jeffery [Re: HogPilot]
      #194516 - 22/11/11 05:21 PM

Quote:

The photo above is of Dave Fulson from Safari Classics holding the rifle. There is a very good description and video presentation of the Fletcher Jamison rifle now owned by Bill Jones on the Boddington on African Rifles DVD. It's well worth the price of admission as it covers a wide variety of weapons and cartridges, including some special rifles like FJ's as well as John "Pondoro" Taylor's Wilkes 450 NE now owned by the fellow who owns "The Firing Line" gun store in Denver, CO.

+10 Have watched it a 100 times and never tire of it and as said, well worth the purchase price...

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Fletcher Jamieson .500 Jeffery [Re: CHAPUISARMES]
      #194655 - 23/11/11 07:47 PM

** C. FLETCHER JAMIESON.
W.J. JEFFERY & CO.
A FINE .500 (JEFFERY) 'MODEL NO.2' SINGLE SQUARE BRIDGE MAGNUM BOLT-MAGAZINE BIG GAME RIFLE, serial no. 25554,
26in. blued nitro barrel signed 'SPECIALLY BUILT FOR C. FLETCHER JAMIESON. BY W.J. JEFFERY & CO. 9 GOLDEN SQUARE. REGENT STREET. LONDON. W.1. 25554', matt ramp-mounted bead fore-sight with tunnel-cover and flip-up moon-sight, matt quarter-rib with rear-sight of one standing and two folding leaves calibrated to 300 yards, the standing leaf with platinum-inlaid centre-line, border and scroll engraved receiver with matt receiver-ring, 14 1/2in. well figured pistolgrip stock including 3/4in. rubber recoil pad (minor setting crack behind receiver), chequered grip and fore-end, dark horn fore-end cap, border and scroll engraved case-hardened pistolgrip-cap with hinged trap-cover, border and scroll engraved magazine floor-plate and trigger-guard each retaining traces of original blued finish, silver escutcheon engraved with the initials 'C.F.J.', sling eyes, in original brass-cornered oak and leather full length rifle case lined in red baize, the lid with W.J. Jeffery leather trade label, with spare coil spring for the bolt, two spare fore-sight elements and a spare tunnel-cover.

Provenance : C. Fletcher Jamieson, the famous Rhodesian rancher, professional ivory hunter and pioneer photographer.

Other Notes: Fletcher Jamieson began his hunting career with a Holland & Holland .500/.450 nitro express double rifle but following an accident changed to a W.J. Jeffery .500 (Rimless) Mauser bolt-action rifle which he used exclusively for a decade taking over 300 elephants with it. He had seen a German-made .500 bolt rifle by Schuler at Mitchell & Fallon's gun shop in Salisbury (Harare) and was taken by the ballistic capabilities of the .500 round but was not impressed with the German rifle. He straight away ordered a .500 from W.J. Jeffery in London which was completed in July 1937. Jamieson was a close friend of John 'Pondoro' Taylor, famed hunter and author of African Rifles and Cartridges, and supplied all the photographs that illustrate Taylor's book. Specific mention is made to Jamieson's Jeffery rifle in the chapter on large bore rifles, Taylor noting that Jamieson specified a 26in. barrel over the normal 24in. to aid balance given his great height. Jamieson died in 1947 in an unfortunate accident whilst working on a well, cutting short the career of one of the last of the great African hunters.
Estimate £20,000-25,000

As was listed above: http://auctions.holtsauctioneers.com/asp...;t=1206232&

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Fletcher Jamieson .500 Jeffery [Re: NitroX]
      #194657 - 23/11/11 07:50 PM

Just for the sake of posting it:

Holland and Holland Royal .500/450 Nitro Express that was made in 1902, also used and owned by Fletcher Jamieson.

I have another image of this somewhere on one of my PCs.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

ozhunter
.400 member

Reged: 18/08/04
Loc: Sydney, Australia
Re: Fletcher Jamieson .500 Jeffery [Re: NitroX]
      #194669 - 23/11/11 10:39 PM

Quote:

Holland and Holland Royal .500/450 Nitro Express that was made in 1902, also used and owned by Fletcher Jamieson.

As one of my mates from Bulawayo would say "now that's the shit!"

HogPilot
.300 member

Reged: 26/05/09
Loc: Texas
Re: Fletcher Jamieson .500 Jeffery [Re: ozhunter]
      #194727 - 24/11/11 02:58 PM

Quote:

Quote:

It is also very much "The Cats Ass!".

Pugwash
.300 member

Re: Fletcher Jamieson .500 Jeffery [Re: HogPilot]
      #194768 - 24/11/11 09:40 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

It is also very much "The Cats Ass!".

It could also be the 'Dogs Bollocks'

JabaliHunter
.400 member

Reged: 16/05/07
Loc: England
Re: Fletcher Jamieson .500 Jeffery [Re: Pugwash]
      #195144 - 28/11/11 07:18 PM

IIRC, didn't he hide a letter of provenance for future owners under the butt pad of that .500/.450? I think it was a note saying that the rifle had served him well, accounting for x number of elephant and buffalo...

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 78 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 11612

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com