Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Opinions On The Modern Steyrs?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mannlicher Discussion forum & Archive

Pages: 1
taw1126
.333 member

Reged: 24/07/07
Loc: Texas
Opinions On The Modern Steyrs?
      #191743 - 13/10/11 01:55 PM

Probably a questionable place to post this, but I'd like to know anyone's/everyone's thoughts on the newest SBS Steyrs and the slightly older M's. Always sort of liked the Steyrs but this is the first time I've seriously considered buying one. Or maybe two.

I'm looking at a nearly-new SBS Forester in 9.3x62 and a nearly-new M-III Professional in 30-06 (with a wood stock...most seem to have the plastic one?).

Other than the rotary safety, what are the big differences between the two?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Dr_Deer
.300 member

Reged: 23/02/09
Loc: Australia
Re: Opinions On The Modern Steyrs? [Re: taw1126]
      #191745 - 13/10/11 02:00 PM

front locking vs rear locking, staggered mag vs rotary

HendrikNZ
.275 member

Reged: 20/12/10
Loc: New Zealand
Re: Opinions On The Modern Steyrs? [Re: Dr_Deer]
      #191754 - 13/10/11 05:51 PM

If you don't mind the plastic bits (on both) then the newer SBS is n better rifle than the older Model M. But neither comes close to an all steel Luxus or the classic Mannlicher Schoenauer.

I have a few and the only thing that disappoints is the flexible fore stock on the SBS Prohunter model - but that can be fixed.

If you are going for the 30/06 - make sure you double check all the plastic parts for cracks. If possible remove the stock and check the action screw holes - that is usually where the cracks appear.
Also check the "web" around the rear action screw in the stock.

As you mentioned in your opening line - consider AND buy them both if in good condition and enjoy shooting some of the finest firearms ever made!

Regards
H

gryphon
.450 member

Reged: 01/01/03
Loc: Sambar ground/Victoria/Austral...
Re: Opinions On The Modern Steyrs? [Re: HendrikNZ]
      #191759 - 13/10/11 07:01 PM

Onya H,good to read an answer from a bloke that owns the brand in q`s.

Quote "I have a few" noice!

--------------------
Get off the chair away from the desk and get out in the bush and enjoy life.

9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
Re: Opinions On The Modern Steyrs? [Re: gryphon]
      #191768 - 13/10/11 10:30 PM

Yes, I agree. Hendrik; Thanks for the response.

Realizing that Austria is known for superb "plastic guns" {Glocks!}, nevertheless I've shied away from the Steyrs simply because the ones I've seen looked, well, chincy. I always think; "Man what a nicely made rifle...if they would replace the plastic 'bits' with steel". The steel parts just look really well made to me, but the flimsiness of the plastic parts gives me that queezy feeling. The fact that Hendrik warns us to check for cracks reinforces that feeling. And a "flexible forestock", ditto.

If they were a larger manufacturer, and the rifles gained more popularity, I'd bet that an aftermarket would develop for all the parts that tend to break!

As for Glocks, they have earned the Austrians a superb reputation. As a Glock owner I wholly support that. I haven't been able to bite off a Steyr. Too much to gag down.

taw, if you can, lay down a Steyr next to another maker on the counter and really go over it. Maybe you'll feel the same way I do. I WANT to like them, but...

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

taw1126
.333 member

Reged: 24/07/07
Loc: Texas
Re: Opinions On The Modern Steyrs? [Re: 9.3x57]
      #191771 - 13/10/11 11:49 PM

As usual, thanks to everyone for the great information. I knew people had concerns about the SBS' "plastic" rotary safety, and have seen several people looking for replacement plastic stocks for the M-III professional. But I would have guessed that the M's had less plastic & not more.

Since I do not have a real need for either, I'll pass and cotinue looking for an MS.

Dr_Deer
.300 member

Reged: 23/02/09
Loc: Australia
Re: Opinions On The Modern Steyrs? [Re: HendrikNZ]
      #194343 - 21/11/11 12:52 PM

Quote:

I have a few and the only thing that disappoints is the flexible fore stock on the SBS Prohunter model - but that can be fixed.

Hendrik, care to share your forend solution for the Prohunter? At present I tend to just keep any rest as close to the mag as possible if needed.

I have been told that they made both a flexy and reinforced stock but the latter did not see distribution in all markets due to price. A similar situation has reputedly occurred with the grade of timber fitted to the Classics. In Australia Steyr has been imported by 3 agencies in the past decade and from what I've seen the timber on the rifles most recently imported is no where as good as that seen 5+ years ago.

Forend flex aside, I find the SBS to be a handy little rifle once you get accustomed to the roller safety and set trigger

Edited by CptCurl (27/11/11 04:30 AM)

Rule303
.416 member

Reged: 05/07/09
Loc: Woodford Qld
Re: Opinions On The Modern Steyrs? [Re: Dr_Deer]
      #194376 - 21/11/11 09:42 PM

I have a Pro hunter. The fore end does need to be stifened and the stock certainly needs a better plastic.

The rifle is large for the cartridge, that is the bolt is long but strong as. The SBS takes a little getting use to but it is great once you do.

The magazine can be locked in to 2 position. The lower position will not allow a round to be picked up by the bolt if you cycle it, the top position will. So that I do not go hunting and fail to chamber around because the mag is in the lower position I always push the mag home and do not use the lower position.

I would of thought they would of used some of the polomers they use in the Styer AUG. You can dance on those magazines and they still function.

The rifles do shoot well. Mine has a fast barrel. That is 140 grain projectiles coming out at 3000fps and no pressure signs. The stock looks different to most but I find the shape to be great at getting your eye behinnd the scope and still giving a good cheek weld.

Edited by Rule303 (21/11/11 09:45 PM)

iqbal
resigned as a member

Reged: 05/02/03
Loc: Karachi,Pakistan
Re: Opinions On The Modern Steyrs? [Re: taw1126]
      #194378 - 21/11/11 09:51 PM

Have three Steyr Luxus in 270,243 and 7mm.mag.Beautiful guns,highly accurate and my prize possessions.Will probably pass them on to my sons with instructions to never sell them.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 36 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3757

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com