Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Save yourself some grief.

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Africa & hunting dangerous game

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Bramble
.375 member

Reged: 29/07/06
Loc: England
Re: Save yourself some grief. [Re: NitroX]
      #110469 - 26/07/08 08:06 PM

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
ChinaFleetSailor
.224 member

Reged: 19/11/05
      #110497 - 27/07/08 03:29 AM

Quote:

One problem with the internet is all the touts.

I always thought the problem was that it was free.

You tend to get what you pay for.

Seriously, the fact is that you do have to sort through a lot of BS, but pearls do exist if you look hard enough.

It is unfortunate, though, that somebody might hold back and not offer that pearl.

Which is kind of strange considering the avocation we indulge in. I mean, just how hypersensitive is someone supposed to be who can happily hog butcher a deer?

I'm reminded of a friend of my Uncle's, who got the silver star in Korea as a sergeant of marines for hauling out his wounded platoon mates one at a time over 600 yards of exposed terrain to safety.

He literally got his ass shot off. I've never been afforded the opportunity of contemplating it at my leisure, but I'm told it isn't pretty. He spent over a year in the hospital recovering. To this day he won't wear shorts as one of his legs is just a thin stick with a knot in the middle for a knee. Which isn't too much of an issue now as the guy's in his late 70s.

But he exposed himself repeatedly to enemy fire in order to save his shipmates. I'm under the impression he's not exactly shy.

But public speaking? He won't do it.

Confronting screaming hordes of rabidly murderous CHICOM infantry? Doable!

Confronting the possibility of tripping over your tongue at the Masonic Lodge? Not doable!

The thing is, I never learned about the guy when it might have possibly done me some good because he just never talked. It was only later, at my Uncle's funeral, and at the point I was about to retire from the Navy, that I found out a close family friend was a bonafide hero. Written up in the newspapers and everything. His silver star citation is posted on several internet sites.

I keep wondering how much else I'm not hearing because people won't talk.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Save yourself some grief. [Re: ChinaFleetSailor]
      #110597 - 28/07/08 05:12 PM

Quote:

Quote:

One problem with the internet is all the touts.

I always thought the problem was that it was free.

Maybe they are "cheap touts" then.

Yes it is very easy to setup a basic "presence" on the internet and start trying to sell stuff on the side, especially by being cheap bastards by trying to do it on free internet sites and forums.

However the internet is such a vast and so easily accessible source of information, that it is far more beneficial to use it than pouring through printed newsletter hunt reports, magazine articles, magazine adverts, phoning numerous outfitters/agents and then lots and lots of references.

Still takes some work to shift the chaff from the grain but not as much work as it used to.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

500grains
.416 member

Reged: 16/02/04
Loc: Salt Lake City, Utah USA
      #133970 - 30/04/09 12:47 PM

Hi, I just bought a Yugo. Are they good quality?

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Save yourself some grief. [Re: 500grains]
      #133981 - 30/04/09 01:35 PM

Quote:

Dan,

You get what you pay for, hey?

On the original "old" topic, one thing that doesn't impress me at all, is when either party comes out with all sorts of irrelevant comments designed to denigrate or insults designed to create a problem.

If the "bad" report sticks to the FACTS it is more believable than if all sorts of derogatory crap is included. If there is a lot of flotsam attached it tends to create a suspicion in my mind of the veracity of the complaining poster.

As Mike's original post, check references and reputations before booking not after. But sometimes people also ask questions because of NEW information or changes to the deal booked, eg a completely new concession forced on them two weeks before the safari . Also I personally sometimes ask questions to get an idea of what to expect, not to check up on the outfitter at all.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

AkMike
.416 member

Reged: 19/11/05
Loc: Anchorage, Alaska
Re: Save yourself some grief. [Re: 500grains]
      #194135 - 19/11/11 11:07 PM

Quote:

You're a liberal?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqTKZgEW8pM

--------------------
"When you see that in order to produce, you need to obtain permission from men who produce nothing; when you see that money is flowing to those who deal not in goods, but in favors; you may know that your society is doomed." Ayn Rand

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 45 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 29578

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com