Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: I NEED YOUR ADVICE

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Australia, NZ & the South Pacific

Pages: 1
shakari
.400 member

Reged: 09/02/03
Loc: South Africa
I NEED YOUR ADVICE
      #1940 - 08/03/03 05:28 PM

Hi Folks,
This question is deliberately posted on this section rather than Africa, as most of the posters on the Africa forum have already been there, and are consequently biased.

Why don't more Australian & New Zealand hunters hunt Africa? and what would it take to get them to change their minds?

If it's price, how much would they be happy to pay for a short "taster" hunt?.............. My daily rates start at US$130 per hunter per day and go up to around US$1500 per day for a dangerous game hunt in a "true wilderness area".... (I am even happy to post brochures to anywhere in the world)

So is that a reasonable proposition to you guys out there?

Any advice you can give me would be helpful.

Cheers

--------------------
Steve "Shakari" Robinson
Kuduland Safaris (Africa) Ltd
info@kuduland.com
www.kuduland.com

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Bakes
.375 member

Reged: 31/01/03
Loc: QLD
Re: I NEED YOUR ADVICE [Re: shakari]
      #1945 - 08/03/03 08:20 PM

Mate most Australians just don't like to pay for their shooting. I have a mate that used to guide for water buff and scrub bulls. He would get calls from Australian hunters asking for a price then wingeing about it, then asking for a discount! All this and he was the cheapest guide around. Most hunting Aussies are blue coller blokes who just don't have the readys, so will stick to the local stuff ,pigs, goats, deer and such. Another thing is that African hunts are priced in US $, for us in Australia we have to double that price.

But having said that, I have made my first step to an African hunt. I've opened a bank account and I'm putting some money into it each pay....in about 50 years I'll be good to go

Bakes

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: I NEED YOUR ADVICE [Re: Bakes]
      #1948 - 08/03/03 11:57 PM

Shakari

Bakes summed it up pretty well. Until about 1978 there was NO guided paid hunting in Australia. It was almost all for free providing the hunters could get access. Most deer hunters were also poachers.

Price and money is the key issue for an African safari. We do not earn US$ here. If you priced your hunts in South Africa at the same prices you charge internationally to local South Africans you wouldn't sell a lot of hunt locally. Same here.

Ten years ago our dollar was 0.80 to the US dollar and the US$ safari prices were also cheaper. Then the Aussie dollar dropped to 0.50 and also the safari US$ prices continued to rise.

Funny how the A$ probably bought more rand than it used it (ie the rand depreciated more than the A$), but the US$ prices when converted to the $A price were at least 60% higher.

You will find there are a few savy outfitters who get almost 100% of the Aussie market, because they realise this.

Having said this if the US$130 daily rates are good value hunts this is certainly a good price for South Africa.

US$1500 per day to almost every Aussie is an impossible price. Most Aussies hunting dangerous game will look for a bargain or do it different eg I knew some people that used to buy auctioned hunts in Zimbabwe or buy into elephant cull hunts when it was possible. A doctor I know hunts Zim every few years and the camps are very rough but prefers good hunting to good camps.

To be more positive, if you price reasonably a 7 to 10 day plains game safari including say kudu, warthog plus other game it will potentially sell well once you get word of mouth experience out in the market.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Bakes
.375 member

#1952 - 09/03/03 09:23 PM

I think a lot of Australians just don't like paying for their hunting. Also most Aussie hunters are blue coller blokes and don't have the cash to hunt overseas. No offence intended here either but $130 per day sounds allright to a US hunter but we in Australia have to double that, and double the trophy fees, what sounds good in the States turns into an expensive undertaking for us downunder.

Now having said that, I've started saving for my first African trip. I've opened an account I've called "Africa". I have an allotment going in every pay and any spare cash will go in as well........50 years time I'll be good to go

Bakes
.375 member

#1953 - 09/03/03 09:25 PM

Opps sorry about the double post! I didn't see my reply when I opened the forums and resubmitted.

shakari
.400 member

#1958 - 10/03/03 12:35 AM

OK Folks,
So which of these offers do you think would be most attractive to the Australian market. (All of them are possible)
A plain daily rate that includes all meals and soft drinks of US£130 per hunter per day plus trophy fees of (for example) Impala, warthog, Grey duiker US$175 each. zebra US$550 blesbuck US$200 etc.

Or a package of 5 days hunting and full board accommodation including trophy fees for 1 each of the following impala, warthog, blesbuck for US$1400 plus additional trophy fees if anyone wants them.

Or a "self catering package, where I buy in the food before the clients arrive, but they cook for themselves. This would reduce the daily rate to US$100 plus trophy fees.

The area is in SA and is easy to get to and the game populations are excellent. My last hunt there was 5 day's duration and the client shot 9 excellent animals.

Look forward to hearing from you all.

Cheers

S

--------------------
Steve "Shakari" Robinson
info@kuduland.com
www.kuduland.com

Bakes
.375 member

#1976 - 10/03/03 10:47 AM

I find the cook your self package alright. I think that may be the difference between US hunters and Aussie hunters. US hunters like all the trappings, food cooked, bed turned down etc. Aussies like to rough it to a certain extent.

Bakes

ovis
.300 member

Reged: 26/01/03
Loc: Homer, Alaska
      #1982 - 10/03/03 12:25 PM

Shakari,

Our camp, here in Alaska, is spartan and we cater to people that really want to hunt. No "Club Med" or "Pirelli Safaris" here. Sure, there are some if that's what a guy wants, but we've not had a problem filling our season's slots. I know that you've aimed this toward our Australian friends but I think you'd be surprised how many Americans would jump at the chance to rough it and hunt. I don't do fences, but a hunt with a rough camp and doing our own cooking would pique my interest.(still no fences)

Joe

--------------------
"Where there's a hobble, there's hope."

shakari
.400 member

#2003 - 12/03/03 04:58 AM

Ovis,
Then I've got just the camp for you. It sit's on top of a mountain and the only electricity is supplied from the battery of the 4x4. No fences (very unusual in SA) and a leopard that lives just behind the camp.

Feel free to send me an e-mail with your postal address if you need to know more and I'll post you full details.

Cheers

--------------------
Steve "Shakari" Robinson
info@kuduland.com
www.kuduland.com

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 6 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4008

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com