Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: BIG Colorado mulie

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in the Americas

Pages: 1
IronBuck
.300 member

Reged: 11/01/03
Loc: Pittsburgh PA, USA
BIG Colorado mulie
      #19188 - 13/09/04 10:55 PM

Just got back from my Archery elk hunt. No elk this year But we had a great time. My buddy had a sheep tag & took a nice ram. (story & pics later)

I ran into this pig of a mulie during a stalk on a 5x6 bull at treeline. What a great buck. He was worth watching and taking pictures of. He stayed broadside like this looking my way for 10 minutes before he just walked away. He was 120 yards out cross a drainage. I think I'll try for a ML mulie tag next year

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
DoubleD
.400 member

Reged: 23/11/03
Loc: Retired in Oklahoma
Re: BIG Colorado mulie [Re: IronBuck]
      #19189 - 13/09/04 10:59 PM

Ah yes, been there, done that!. Big deer! Elk Season! Wow!

--------------------
DD, Ret.

mudbug
.275 member

Reged: 08/12/03
Loc: U.S.A/Wyo.,Ak.&La./H.K.&P.R.C.
      #19216 - 14/09/04 04:47 PM

IronBuck,

That is a dandy. I cant get a zoom on him with this system. What do you figure his outside spread and his tine length to be?

I'm guessing 20 -23" spread and 12" tines??? Were you able to get the binocs on him to hazard a guess?

Mudbug

IronBuck
.300 member

Re: BIG Colorado mulie [Re: mudbug]
      #19226 - 14/09/04 11:37 PM

I just had my little Olmpuus D560 camera. Even with its 3x xoom the regular picture did not allow this buck to show up. I had to enlarge it with my photo editor. But by doing so it does lose some detail.

This buck made me gasp for breath when viewed through my 10x binos. In a word.....he was simply OUTSTANDING. A once in a life time buck. His rack was so big it is a wonder he could even lift his head LOL.

An adult mulies ears are about 22" wide when spread out. His rack was had at least 3-4" of clearance on each side of that. Giving him about a 28-30" inside spread. The mass off his rack would easily allow another 4" to that. He had big sticker points out each side, adding another 6" or so to the overall spread. His rack was a s tall as he was from the shoulder to teh ground. So what you are looking at is a buck that has a rack around 34-36" wide. And the height is more than that. Like I said........a world class Monster Buck!

I did not have a mulie tag so all I could do is watch him. He was not real concerned I was there. Had I had a tag I could have stalked him within bow range (50 yards for me).

I do plan on trying to draw a muzzleloader tag for that area next year. Giving me about a 150 yard window. And increasing the odds of me being able to take a buck like this.

The elevation I was at was so high that by rifle season these bucks would for the most pasrt be moving out of the high country....down to private land that I can not hunt. So I need to go after them either with a bow or a ML.

AspenHill
Sponsor

Reged: 08/01/03
Loc: Vermont, USA
      #19230 - 15/09/04 12:52 AM

Nice buck! What a sight to see.

--------------------
~Ann

Everyday spent outdoors is the best day of my life.

Aspen Hill Adventures

DoubleD
.400 member

Reged: 23/11/03
Loc: Retired in Oklahoma
Re: BIG Colorado mulie [Re: AspenHill]
      #19242 - 16/09/04 01:06 AM

I think in that second picture he has his nose in the sniffing..."do I smell a deer tag? nope! Elk! good, I'll stand here and make that hunter suffer!"

I know from 40 years of hunting that animals can tell time... season starts tomorrow...and smell tags...anterless whittail only- big 160 class buck laying in the weeds 40 yards away and not moving.

This has to be a fact!

--------------------
DD, Ret.

SaHunter
.224 member

Reged: 12/09/04
Loc: South Australia, Australia
Re: BIG Colorado mulie [Re: DoubleD]
      #19243 - 16/09/04 05:19 AM

Thats one beaut buck! I hope you get Him one of these days!

--------------------
Acquiring a milsurp rifle is a lot like dating. If the appearance is pleasing, you pick it up. Upon further examination, if you like the feel and smell of it, you take it home.

IronBuck
.300 member

Re: BIG Colorado mulie [Re: DoubleD]
      #19265 - 16/09/04 10:34 PM

In reply to:

I think in that second picture he has his nose in the sniffing..."do I smell a deer tag? nope! Elk! good, I'll stand here and make that hunter suffer!"

I know from 40 years of hunting that animals can tell time... season starts tomorrow...and smell tags...anterless whittail only- big 160 class buck laying in the weeds 40 yards away and not moving.

This has to be a fact!

How True!!!!! LOL That is why this guy hung around so long.........just torturing us

mudbug
.275 member

Reged: 08/12/03
Loc: U.S.A/Wyo.,Ak.&La./H.K.&P.R.C.
      #19283 - 18/09/04 05:28 PM

Yeah, I had a brain fart there and was hung up on a Whitetail's ears being 15 - 16". Looking at the top picture and his left ear, that rack is "far out". Tried to get a ruler on his tines (on the screen) vs his shoulder height and all of it rings out as very respectable B&C (or P&Y) to me.

Uhhhh, I dont guess you'd want to discuss that specific Colorado GMU #, would you?? Just jokin ya. If time allows, you should put in for 05 Bow and ML for that guy or his brother.

Thanks for the pic.

Mudbug

Taos
.300 member

Reged: 09/05/04
Loc: Nevada, U.S.A.
Re: BIG Colorado mulie [Re: mudbug]
      #19370 - 23/09/04 01:24 AM

that is a great buck!! Been out snooping aropund a bit but have seen nothing that looks that good yet!!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 13 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1752

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com