Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Elk

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in the Americas

Pages: 1
Taos
.300 member

Reged: 09/05/04
Loc: Nevada, U.S.A.
Elk
      #19369 - 23/09/04 01:22 AM

Anyone out there going to be doing any elk hunting this fall. We have spent the last couple of evenings out playing with several herds. Got to watch two duels with different bulls. They really are getting after it right now. We got a little snow and it seems to really have set them deep into the rut. Nov. 1 will not be here soon enough!!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
AdamTayler
.375 member

Reged: 22/03/04
Loc: B.C.
Re: Elk [Re: Taos]
      #19371 - 23/09/04 03:34 AM

I just got back. I'll post photos soon.

--------------------
It's the journey, not the destination.

IronBuck
.300 member

Reged: 11/01/03
Loc: Pittsburgh PA, USA
      #19404 - 24/09/04 03:47 AM

Taos,

What area do you hunt? I hunted the begining of the archery season in SW Colorado. The bulls were luke warm at best. Not answering calls very well. But they would bugle in the am & evening. At least leting you know they were around. I also got to watch a brawl between 2 six by sixes over 5 cows. Pretty intense........but it all took place about 600 yards away

Anyway.......Good luck! Hope we can see some stories & pics after your hunt

Taos
.300 member

Reged: 09/05/04
Loc: Nevada, U.S.A.
Re: Elk [Re: IronBuck]
      #19412 - 24/09/04 06:50 AM

i live in DeBeque, about 35 miles E. of Grand Junction. We were up Roan Creek 2 evening ago and Bugled 6 bulls into rifle range got some good video. watched 2 pretty good bulls fight for about 15 minutes. this season I will be hunting unit 61 on the Uncumpahgre. Burned 8 points for the tag. hope it is worth it. Only a 4 day season though.

I normally hunt the Piacance creek country and we do alright. Anytime you would like to dispose of the guide and still want to go elk hunting let me know.

AdamTayler
.375 member

Reged: 22/03/04
Loc: B.C.
      #19419 - 25/09/04 02:15 AM

I bagged my first elk last week. Shot through the heart at 30 yards using a Brno 21H in 7x57 with 139 grainers. My green score came to 296 6/8 gross and a net of 282 5/8. If he had not broken his #3 in the spring, he would have grossed over 300, but beggers can't be choosers. Since he is my first elk, I'm getting him mounted in a right sweep bugling. It is quite an experience calling back and forth and bringing him right in.

--------------------
It's the journey, not the destination.

IronBuck
.300 member

Re: Elk [Re: AdamTayler]
      #19421 - 25/09/04 03:48 AM

Adam,

Real nice bull! Congrats on that one

IronBuck
.300 member

#19422 - 25/09/04 03:55 AM

Taos,

Good luck in 61! You will have to let me know how it goes. I am planning on hunting 76 with a buddy from Pagosa in a year or two.........when we get enough points LOL.

I have yet to use a guide for anything other than pack in & out. Always to a place of my chosing. The only reason I do that is because we fly out & end up going from 1100' one day to 10,500' in our base camp the next. That is enough ofa shock to the system without having to worry about backpacking in 11 miles LOL. I spend several months in advance of each trip running & hiking with weight. I have never gotten anything short of a mild headache as far as altitude sickness goes. And that is gone when I take 2 asprin. So I've been luck so far.

Maybe some day we will share a camp fire together. I am sure it would be fun. Good luck again. You had batter post some pics for us so we can see what unit 61 is like

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 15 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1243

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com