Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Woodleigh or Noma Oryx?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Big Bore Rifles

Pages: 1
450Dakota
.300 member

Reged: 18/03/04
Loc: California, USA
Woodleigh or Noma Oryx?
      #19334 - 21/09/04 10:55 AM

Both are bonded core bullets, is there a differance in construction and performance? I have no experiance with the Oryx, and very little with the Woodleigh. Oh, this is for cal. 9.3 286grn.

Cheer's M8's

450D

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Marrakai
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: Darwin, Top End of Australia
Re: Woodleigh or Noma Oryx? [Re: 450Dakota]
      #19338 - 21/09/04 08:34 PM

450Dakkers:
I have no experience with the Oryx either, but can't speak highly enough of Woodleigh Weldcores. Like several other members of this board, I have been using them for many years and can't fault their performance.

Just last weekend, I jumped a very large boar from his bed under a creek-bank, and shot him in the ham with a 400gr Woodleigh from my .400 Jeffery double. The bullet penetrated a measured 1.3 metres (yes, a BIG pig!) and was found lodged in the cheek-muscle after breaking the jaw. It was expanded right back past the base, but still weighed 390 grains! What can I say?

The weekend before, a mate took his first buffalo with a .308, using 180gr protected-point Woodleighs. Admittedly it took five shots to close the encounter (he kept trying to get back up!), and we only found one projectile, under the hide on the off-side. It was well-expanded, and when asked what I thought it might weigh, I offered "180 grains, of course!" Well I was wrong, it was 179.4 grains.

I should add that I have no association with Woodleighs whatsoever, I buy mine right over the counter of my local gunshop at retail. I just can't resist passing on my continuous satisfaction with these marvellous bullets. Why look any further?

--------------------
Marrakai
When the bull drops, the bullshit stops!
--------------------------------
www.marrakai-adventure.com.au

ALAN_MCKENZIE
.400 member

Reged: 24/03/04
Loc: Western Australia
Re: Woodleigh or Noma Oryx? [Re: Marrakai]
      #19339 - 21/09/04 09:02 PM

Marrakai I'm with you on the quality and performance of the WOODLEIGH projectiles.
Some of the biggest bullet companies in the world choose the Aussie made Woodleigh projectiles for their big game rounds.
"What more can a person say "
Al

--------------------
"Dogs always bark at their master"
Sir Seretse Khama.25th June 1949

450Dakota
.300 member

Re: Woodleigh or Noma Oryx? [Re: ALAN_MCKENZIE]
      #19349 - 22/09/04 02:44 AM

Alan & Marraki, I firmly agree with you both.. I was wondering if Norma Oryx "IS" made by Woodleigh.. Woodleigh's here in the states are somewhat hard to find in certain calibers and most distributors that do have them are vey expensive,(thats why they still have them) where as the Norma is about $20U.S less per 50 and it's available. I was thinking of using the Oryx for practice and hunting here in the U.S and Woodleigh's for Africa. "But" I'm a very firm believer in practiceing with what you hunt with..450Dakota

EricD
.416 member

Reged: 27/02/04
      #19352 - 22/09/04 03:29 AM

In reply to:

I was wondering if Norma Oryx "IS" made by Woodleigh..

The Oryx is produced in Sweden by Norma. I haven't used them personally, but know a lot of hunters that use them in various caliburs on Moose. Also in 9,3x62 and 9,3x64. They are all very happy with it. Meat damage is also acceptable (which is important to scandinavian moose (meat) hunters), since they hold together well.

I've not heard any negative reports about the Oryx so far.

Erik D.

ThomasEdwards
.300 member

Reged: 04/01/04
Loc: Newport Beach, CA
      #19354 - 22/09/04 09:05 AM

...i use norma oryx in 286gr. exclusively on a 93.x74r double for north american hunting, and can attest to its superb qualities...

...the last game i harvested was a roughly 250lb boar shot broad-side at approximately 100 yards...the oryx bullet virtually picked the boar up in mid air and dropped it stone harvested...very similar to a one-shot brain harvest on dg in africa i would suppose...

...unfortunately there was substantial meat damage...the orxy created a 2.5 diameter wound channel that looked like a black tunnel throught the boar...otherwise the reamining meat was excellent...

luv2safari
.400 member

Reged: 09/11/03
Loc: United States
Re: Woodleigh or Noma Oryx? [Re: EricD]
      #19390 - 23/09/04 01:47 PM

I took a greater kudu with my Tikka 412 in 12/9,3x74r, using factory Norma Oryx 286 gr at about 80 yards, hit behind the right shoulder and across the front edge of the left shoulder...lodged just under the skin. It had fragmented badly.

I've also used the same loading on deer (2) and found them to perform about like the Speer 270 Hot Cores I had used for a long time. They seem a bit too soft for even the 9,3x74 velocities...for my liking, anyway. Accuracy is superb!

--------------------
Hunt with Class and Classics

EricD
.416 member

Re: Woodleigh or Noma Oryx? [Re: luv2safari]
      #19395 - 23/09/04 05:10 PM

In reply to:

It had fragmented badly.

This is kind of interesting. The Oryx, being a bonded bullet should not fragment. I recall a post of mine not long ago where I mentioned a simular thing had happend to several Woodleigh bullets. Which are also bonded. And was told that that was complete rubbish, and couldn't be true since Woodleighs don't fall apart...

I guess the point is that bad things can happen to otherwise good bullets for reasons unknown...

Erik D.

luv2safari
.400 member

Reged: 09/11/03
Loc: United States
      #19407 - 24/09/04 05:35 AM

Erik,

I think that the jackets are a bit soft, even though they are somewhat thick and are bonded to the core. I like Norma ammo as a whole and think it is about as well put together as any, anywhere.

I am of the opinion that they use softer metal alloys than I would like, both in their bullets and in their brass. Their brass tends to stretch much more readily than our US made brass.

I am curious as to whether I am off base, or have any of the rest of you guys experienced similar results?

I'll continue to use Norma ammo; it is so accurate!

--------------------
Hunt with Class and Classics

EricD
.416 member

Re: Woodleigh or Noma Oryx? [Re: luv2safari]
      #19408 - 24/09/04 05:45 AM

Luv2safari,

I can't comment on the bullet jackets because I don't know. Your theory is as good as any. But I do know from experiance that the Norma brass is softer than the US made stuff. I've found it quite common when reloading with a friend of mine that more Norma case necks get ruined when seating bullets than with US makes like Federal brass for example.

Erik D.

atkinson6
.375 member

Reged: 26/01/04
Loc: Idaho
      #19517 - 29/09/04 04:52 AM

I know the Woodleighs work, been using them for years, they are just a fine bullet...Any bullet made by man can and will fail on rare ocassions, some more than others but in a lifetime of shooting game I have only had one woodleigh failure and under the circumstances any bullet would have failed....There is no better bullet, some like Northfork, Nosler are just as good..

450Dakota
.300 member

#19574 - 01/10/04 02:34 PM

Thanks Guy's... Thats just the type of input and real world experiences I was looking for.. Thank you all very much....

450Dakota

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 373 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4644

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com