Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: 9.3x72R Bolt Action?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Rifles

Pages: 1
SCGunNut
.224 member

Reged: 05/05/06
Loc: South Carolina
9.3x72R Bolt Action?
      #193079 - 05/11/11 02:03 PM

Has anybody ever seen or know of the existence of a bolt action in 9.3x72R? Today, while exploring a shop known for rare and high end arms, I reached up on the rack and picked up a rather bizarre old German bolt gun. It was a unusual action, nothing like the familiar Mauser actions, almost like a bolt action shotgun type action. That's not an accurate description but is the best comparison I can come up with at the moment.
Looked like an early bolt action design and the rear of the receiver top was open to allow the bolt to travel to the rearmost position. The bolt handle was spoonbilled, the barrel was rather long, was half round/half octagon and featured a beautifully crafted integral matted rib with 2 folding leaves. It also featured a fold down tang sight. The top of the receiver, which was color cased, was finished in a super fine "stippling" and it had stippled panels on both sides of the receiver. The stock had the flat panels on both sides of the receiver that was so popular on older German rifles. It featured double set triggers. The blueing was in excellent condition and the receiver's case colors were very vibrant. The case colors on the floorplate and buttplate were fading. Aside from some markings on the barrel that meant nothing to me, the only inscription I could make out read "Gussstahl Krupp Essen". I assumed "Gussstahl" was the maker and evidently the store thought the same thing because the tag read "Gussstahl 9.3x72R". I know what Krupp and Essen signified. Once I got home, the internet showed that Gussstahl, like Krupp, refered to the type of steel.
The gun was in almost immaculate condition for the age that I presume it is. The bore looked pristine and the metal finish, aside from the wear on floorplate and buttplate, was excellent. It had one hairline crack at the tang that needed to be repaired and a small crack at the buttplate. Otherwise, it looked like it had hardly been used. What throws me is the caliber. Has anybody ever seen or heard of a bolt gun in 9.3x72R? The action appeared long enough and the bolt face looked about right. It certainly wouldn't make sense to see a Mauser in this chambering but this bizarre, rather primitive looking, action might handle it. I wish I'd had my camera with me, I wish I had wrote down more details, and I wish I had asked the owner some questions but I didn't. I can find no reference to a bolt gun in this caliber on the net and have not found a photo of another gun on this action. I did find a photo of a later JP Sauer on a Mauser action that had the same type half round/half octagon barrel with the same matted rib so I'm thinking this might have been an early Sauer. I didn't want to take a chance on it until I found some info on it, most importantly if the caliber was correct. I've found nothing but I'm captivated by it. It's 3 hours away so I may have to go back. Asking price was $1295. This gun was SOOO clean, except for the cracks, that it's condition belies it's obvious age. I would think it would have to be pre WWI based on the action, styling and alleged caliber. ANY ideas at all?

Thanx

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
lancaster
.470 member

Reged: 06/05/08
Loc: There's a lighthouse in the mi...
Re: 9.3x72R Bolt Action? [Re: SCGunNut]
      #193084 - 05/11/11 02:51 PM

yes, no problem

the action is in fact a Mauser 71 copy, made at least up to WW 1 in different caliber from 22 lr over 8x46R up to 9,3x72R and maybe bigger.
single shot rifle's from the Suhl/Zella Mehlis area.

lots of old pics avaiable but not on the hardware just now. will follow!

--------------------
Norwegian hunter misses moose, shoots man on toilet
bringing civilisation to the barbarians

lancaster
.470 member

Reged: 06/05/08
Loc: There's a lighthouse in the mi...
Re: 9.3x72R Bolt Action? [Re: lancaster]
      #193101 - 05/11/11 07:04 PM

here it comes

its more or less a copy of the Mauser 71 action

1200 is a lot of money for such a rifle but it depends on, if you like to have a cheaper stalking rifle with this action the husqvarna single shots are also made this way

http://www.simpsonltd.com/index.php?cPath=350_370_371&osCsid=d923622fb81f83f767f1a573337c39f5

--------------------
Norwegian hunter misses moose, shoots man on toilet
bringing civilisation to the barbarians

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: 9.3x72R Bolt Action? [Re: lancaster]
      #193117 - 06/11/11 02:45 AM

My late buddy Brad, had this one, in 1/2 stock - with engraved action. Calibre was 9.5x47R (9 1/2 x 47). The action appeared to be of less quality than my M71/76 Mauser Carbine, and was also slightly smaller or reduced in size. There were no identification marks anywhwere on the rifle's barrel nor action. A chamber cast showed us the ctg., which was easily made up with rudimentary tools and other dies.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

SCGunNut
.224 member

Reged: 05/05/06
Loc: South Carolina
Re: 9.3x72R Bolt Action? [Re: SCGunNut]
      #193137 - 06/11/11 12:04 PM

Yep, that would be it. Looks like either #7335 or #280 in the catalog pics. I might have to take another road trip. I sure has hell don't need it but it sure was interesting. Plus, I "need" a 9.3x72R to go with my 9.3x57, 9.3x62, 9.3x64 & 9.3x74R...

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 65 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 6047

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com