Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: 72 cal. Kodiak Double rifle

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Muzzleloaders & Blackpowder

Pages: 1
TomN
.300 member

Reged: 07/03/10
Loc: washington
72 cal. Kodiak Double rifle
      #192393 - 24/10/11 07:29 AM

Just got back form the range will have to get more balls now used all that I had. rifle is putting all shots in about 6" at fifty yards sitll high but that can be fixed. the real problem is that the left barrel is crossing about 2 inches at that range. the load was 90grains of 2f black each barrell seams to shoot that load into about 2 1/2 inches but they are croccing to about 2 so tryed more powder and that didn't begen to help groups wnent to crap. I still am having trouble getting the ball started (.715)AND .10 INCH PATCH. I think that I will try to get some .710 balls and try them and see if it will make a differance in how it shoots and loads. Some of the ball loaded well and some of them didn't so mabh they are out of round or something. I am hoping that with .710 balls I will be able to use a thicker patch and get better loading and shooting out of the gun. If not I guess I will just site the gun for one barrell with each of the sites and use it that way at lest I would be able to shoot farther then just 50 yards.

TomN

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
TomN
.300 member

Re: 72 cal. Kodiak Double rifle [Re: TomN]
      #192394 - 24/10/11 07:32 AM

Also I did the thumb in the muzzle with emery cloth and took the sharp edges out of
the muzzle it did seam to help some but not as much as I had hoped.

TomN

DarylSModerator
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
      #192407 - 24/10/11 11:52 AM

You're on the path, Tom. Don't give up.

I'd pick up a Lee .690" RB mould - cheap like borsht - especially in the States. It will allow you to use a heavy patch. Heavy patches seal better and carry more lube which is needed to keep the fouling soft. That is why your accuracy disappeared with more powder - the accuracy should have become better from each barrel with more powder as well as the barrels should have come together into regulation as well.

I understand the bore of the Kodiaks is about .724".

The .715" ball should be OK, but you should be able to load a .022" patch with it. That you can't says one of two things - the patch you are using is too thin, indeed, it is as it cannot go to the bottom of the grooves to keep fouling at bay. It need not only to go to the bottom of the grooves, but to also compress against the lead (must be soft/pure for such a large ball). The .690" mould will allow you to shoot WW with a decently thick patch - over .020".

For example, I'm currently using a .684" ball in a .690" bore, .012" rifling, with a .030" patch. Yes, you have to want to get it in, but it goes and goes down with the rifle's hickory rod - no hammers or mallets like I've seen some people playing with.

This is what I call easy loading. I have since switched to a .574" ball, with the same patch and it loads litterlly the same, but of course, the accuracy is better.

At the time I shot the video, I had just aquired this rifle and was starting load development, hense the small ball and thin, .0215" patch. If you add the numbers up, you'd get .565" actual diameter + .0215" + .0215" = .608". The .580" bore has .008" rifling, so .580" + .008"+ .008" = .596". Therefore the load I used, gave .608" - .596" = .012" divided by 2 = .006" compression each side actually all the way around. I now use a .574" X .573" ball with a 10oz denim patch which measures .022". = muight tighter and shoots more accurately, but loads just as easily. Yes - I use a starter to get it down, then again to make certain it is on the powder hard.

I use this technique for all my ML rifles and smoothbores.
Incidently the barrels crossed by 1 1/2" at 50 yards and shot 1 1/2" different in elevation, left shooting low, right shooting high. At 100gr. 2F, they shot into the same group- 6 shots made a 1" group. At 110gr., they shot perfectly parallel, each making a 1" group, so that whole group was about 1 3/4" due to the overlap. So - 110gr. for hunting (OK for deer and black bear), and 100gr. works fine for trail walk competitions. I would prefer it shot 130gr. 2f for hunting, but it doens't. If I go to 120gr., they barrels cross again, but the elevation reverses, right shooting low, left shooting high.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

TomN
.300 member

Re: 72 cal. Kodiak Double rifle [Re: DarylS]
      #192414 - 24/10/11 03:08 PM

Daryl S

I picked up a bunch of the patches most were good some had a few holes in them and two wrer just shraded I think that they were from the two 120 grain loads that I tryed. I should say that some of the balls went in just like yours did some didn't but once in they were tight goning dowm the bore but I didn't have to hamer them down. I just put the bull starter on the end mine has a hole in the body so that you can put it on the ramrod and have a good end to slap the rod down the bore keeps you from having to push to hard on just the rod. I to would like to have a bigger charge something in the 120 to 130 range I think would be good for deer and elk size game. I know that the balls were out of round as I had them miked at one time I think that I will try my ball mold (.715) to see if that makes a differance It mingt not but you never know. If that doin't work I will have to go with a smaller ball and start over. thanks for the replies. TomN

TomN
.300 member

#192415 - 24/10/11 03:11 PM

Sorry I should also say that I wipe the bore beween each shot on the range so fouling shouldn't be a problem.

Supercracker
.224 member

Reged: 19/05/11
Loc: Florida
      #192438 - 25/10/11 01:18 AM

Are you using a wad/cushion under the ball? It would help with gas sealing. You might try that also. Either some fiber cushions like for shotguns or punch some from thick leather.

DarylSModerator
.700 member

Re: 72 cal. Kodiak Double rifle [Re: Supercracker]
      #192441 - 25/10/11 02:40 AM

Further note, Tom - the reason I added up ball size and patch thickness was to show how to show what patch to try with what ball and that the .010" patches you've tried are useless in trying to get a decent seal. A seal is needed to soften the fouling and to keep the powder gasses behind the ball.

A good patch is actuall suitable for many shots, not just one. If the patch is good enough, it will maintain it's integrity, "could" be re-lubed and used again, and again. I've done this to prove it works. I'm not suggesting anyone else try it, but no real reason not to. The accuracy should be unchanged.

Your load is .715" + .010" + .010" = .735".

If the bore of those guns is tighter than 12 bore (I haven't measured one) at .724" as some have suggested, then .724" + .008 + .008" = .740". With your groove diameter at .735", there is no seal and no compression in the bottom of the grooves. Blowby, burning, fouling buildup and poor accuracy is the result. POI cannot be trusted as the accuracy is variable due to the gas blowby.

If they are indeed, 12 bore in bore size as Pedersoli says, at .730", then .730"+ .008+.008= .746" - even worse in regards the thin patch. There is absolutely no seal, not even close and the combination cannot shoot well. If powder gasses can get past the patch, then the ballistics are all screwed up and the gun barely shoots better than a smoothbore, except with tiny charges creating huge trajectories and poor killing power. Of course, deer are easily killed, even with ML pistols, not so a moose or big bear at longer than pistol ranges.

As the powder charges go up, pressure also goes up and it takes a tighter load to seal. Some guys have good luck with wads between their patched ball and the powder while others do not. It is certianly worth a try as Supercracker suggested.

.010" are actually quite useless or next-best thing to it, as they are also too thin for cleaning patches. To clean well, they need to scrub the bottom of the grooves - hard.

For cleaning, I believe the jag should be sized to allow a VERY snug fit with 2 layers of flannelette cloth - old baby diapers works splendidly. I use new flannel material as it's been 30 years since there was a baby here that used flannel diapers.

I went through all the trials and tribulations of load development many years ago and know how you can feel at times - quite frustrated is how I felt. Bear with it and you'll find what is required for good shooting, accurate and clean shooting loads. You can have it all.

We've discovered that certain combinations work in ALL rifles - yes they are slightly different and need special attention to details - but that's usually the powder charge that needs attention. They all shoot the above combination very accurately.

When I look at the rifles on any weekly trail shoot at our club, I see mostly balls .005" under bore size (the odd fellow uses .010" under for hunting - same patch) and ticking or denim patching from .020" to .025" thick. None have any fouling buildup for an entire day's shooting, never have to wipe their bores during our shooting day and go through up to 80 shots that day.

What we've found is that all rifles respond to a ball .010" to .005" under bore size and a 10oz.(.022") denim patch.
The larger the bore, the smaller the ball in relation to the bore size and a thicker patch can be and maintain excellent accuracy. For example, your 12 bore will shoot well with a .690" or .700" ball, as long as the patch thickness + ball size is very much greater than the groove diameter. Thus with a .700" ball, you'd need .740" - .700" = .040" divided by 2 = .20" patch just to go to the bottom of the grooves. We know that .006" compression per side is about minimal for good shooting, so the patch should actually be .020+.006 = .026". That's the patch needed for the .700" ball. I'd think the railroad ticking (red/white/blue striping) would work, as it's .025" thick on my calipers. It's only .0225" on my mic. How you measure and what you measure with makes a difference too. The .690" ball would require a .030" patch - that's 12oz. denim on my calipers. That size a ball would require a bit tighter fit to seal the pressure behind it. The thinner patch might work, but unlikely with heavy loads. It depends on what you demand for accuracy.

In the smaller bores, the ball and patch must be tighter than in the larger bores - due entirely to the pressure generated. The higher the pressure, the tighter the combination must be. For a 12 bore to generate over 10,00PSI, would require more powder than you will want to shoot, while a .45's /rangeload will be over that pressure. This is why the smaller bores need/demand thighter combinations, but the larger bores also need to be snug. Their somewhat lesser demands do not allow sloppiness in load developement.

What remains is for the individual to use enough of the proper lube - it has to be wet/filled with lube whether that lube is melted into the cloth, or an oil like Neetsfoot oil is used, where the patch is simply wet with it. The thin patches cannot contain enough lube to soften the powder fouling left in shooting. Water based lubes are not useable for hunting as they will leave a rot ring in the bore where they sit. An oil or grease must be used. Neetsfoot oil has proven to work well for many shooters. That's pure Neetsfoot oil, not neetsfoot compound, which is a synthetic and does not work with bp fouling. During the winter, my brother used Neetsfoot oil only for lubing his rifle patches. He shoots mostly his J. Kuntz .40 rifle, with 68gr. 3F GOEX. That's a 2,200fps load, probalby running 15,000psi or a bit more and the 80th shot loads more easily than the first - yes - more easily - there is never any fouling buildup and he never has to wipe while shooting. Simple cold water cleanup works just fine.

In warm climates (ie:Texas), picking a lube is easy - even beeswax + Vaseline lubes can work, or Beeswax + Neetsfoot oil or mink oil will work, or Neetsfoot alone. I've never had as good results as in clean shooting nor as good accuracy with Olive Oil in bullet(BP Ctg.) or patch lubes.

Hope this gives more food for thought.

--------------------
Daryl

fourbore
.275 member

Reged: 28/03/10
Loc: NewEngland
      #202458 - 14/02/12 09:49 AM

Been reading this thread on the 72 and its peaked my interest in shooting a big bore muzzle loader.

I though I saw someplace this gun (0.72) was available from Pedersoli as a single shot? Now, I look online and only see a double. Is there a 72 single rifle by Pedersoli?

I dont want a double and its not even legal as a primitive arm for hunting in my state. What I would really LOVE is an 8bore rifle at Pedersoli prices. In my case I prefer the simplicity, primitive hunt-ability and lower price of a single. Or give me higher quality in a one barrel gun as opposed to marginal quality and two sites for an unregulated double. Not trying to pick a fight over pedersoli, which are fine, just saying I'd like to get the most for my dollars in one big barrel. And have a gun I could hunt with even if not a practical choice.

Whats the biggest, one barrel, muzzle loading rifle out there at off the shelf pricing? Heck it could be a smooth bore, just fine as long as it was heavy enough for real ball hunting and not just a heavy shotgun. Not that I heard of anyone doing an 8bore shotgun either.

I would think with the dozens upon dozens of Pedersoli rifle offerings, they would have one bore rifle.

DarylSModerator
.700 member

Re: 72 cal. Kodiak Double rifle [Re: fourbore]
      #202462 - 14/02/12 11:44 AM

This one regulates with 1 sight using 100gr. or 110gr. 2F. The light charge shoots into one hole at 50yards while the heavier charge shoots perfectly parallel. From what I've seen, this one is an annomoly because it regulates to one sight. The 'first', folded sight, is zero'd for 200yards.

I know of nothing larger than .58 calibre in a production rifle.

You may find a custom gun of larger bore - probably smooth bore in .62 cal. - or 20 bore for under $2,000.00. That's about it. I don't know of any single 12's or larger. That isn't to say there aren't any- I'm just not aware of any.

--------------------
Daryl

Edited by CptCurl (19/03/12 11:22 AM)

Huvius
.416 member

Reged: 04/11/07
Loc: Colorado
      #202463 - 14/02/12 12:03 PM

The Pedersoli Gibbs Hunter is a single .72cal

http://www.davide-pedersoli.com/scheda-prodotto.asp/l_en/idpr_82/rifles-gibbs-gibbs-hunter.html

--------------------
He who lives in the past is doomed to enjoy it.

bonanza
.400 member

Reged: 17/05/04
Loc: South Carolina
      #202464 - 14/02/12 12:25 PM

Here is mine. 110 grains of 777 50 yards single sight. Four shots (R/L R/L).

--------------------

"Speak Precisely" G. Gordon Liddy.

"Life is absurd, chaotic and we must define its purpose with our actions" Abert Camus

"I''m the dude playing a dude disguised as another dude."

"Yo! Mr. White"

Edited by CptCurl (19/03/12 11:22 AM)

DarylSModerator
.700 member

Re: 72 cal. Kodiak Double rifle [Re: Huvius]
      #202465 - 14/02/12 12:31 PM

Quote:

The Pedersoli Gibbs Hunter is a single .72cal

http://www.davide-pedersoli.com/scheda-prodotto.asp/l_en/idpr_82/rifles-gibbs-gibbs-hunter.html

Great - Looks pretty good, but I couldn't find a suggested retail price.

--------------------
Daryl

fourbore
.275 member

#202469 - 14/02/12 01:02 PM

Huvius, you are a better man than me at website perusal. I think you found it! The Gibbs hunter. Does look like a good shooter with a straight stock and shotgun butt.

I was unable to find any suggested prices either, it may be with all the currency up&down euro vs dollar, they don't post prices. If around a grand ballpark, would seem pretty much to fit the bill. Its funny how it seems Pedersoli mixes and matches components. A .72 bbl offered on a target gun.

I appreciate the nice double rifle groups posted, but in my state a double muzzle loader does not qualify as a primitive arm. Its stupid, you can have a scoped in-line camo plastic stock rifle using primers, but not an open sight authentic double.

Huvius
.416 member

Reged: 04/11/07
Loc: Colorado
Re: 72 cal. Kodiak Double rifle [Re: fourbore]
      #202470 - 14/02/12 01:24 PM

Here you go.

http://www.dixiegunworks.com/product_info.php?products_id=15324

I have had my eye on one of these for a while.
Looks like a high fun per dollar ratio.

--------------------
He who lives in the past is doomed to enjoy it.

Edited by Huvius (14/02/12 01:32 PM)

DarylSModerator
.700 member

Re: 72 cal. Kodiak Double rifle [Re: Huvius]
      #202514 - 15/02/12 04:27 AM

fourbore - you're right - a target design for sure - no open rear sight, even. That's something one would need & is available for under $100.00 in a 1 leaf or 2 leaf. I'd probably go 1 leaf so I'd have 2 sights, standing and the leaf. The point blank sight for out to 130, then the leaf for 150 to 175 yards.

I'm somewhat shocked at the .004" rifling - the twist is OK, but with that twist (for that bore size), I'd prefer at least .006" or better yet, .008". Of course, pressures are low, as-are velocities, with any load one might want to shoot.

Getting 1,500fps is going to hurt in a 9 1/4 pound rifle, and is probably considerably over what Pedersoli's maximum load is.

The reason I suggest 1,500fps is for a trajectory to 125yards being pretty much point blank.

--------------------
Daryl

fourbore
.275 member

#202535 - 15/02/12 12:53 PM

Quote:

I'm somewhat shocked at the .004" rifling

I bet this is the same on the double. A couple weeks back, I saw a used Pedersoli 72 double and the rifling was very shallow. I was almost unable to see it. Nothing like the other muzzle loaders. I wonder why?

Agreed on the dollars to fun ratio.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 6 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  DarylS 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 7379

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com