Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Attaching a torch or light or other stuff to a barrel?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Rifles

Pages: 1
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Attaching a torch or light or other stuff to a barrel?
      #191284 - 04/10/11 09:37 PM

A year or two ago I purchased a couple of small torches to attach to the barrels of a couple of my rifles. My CZ 452 .22 Magnum which I use a lot on my farm. And on a M96 sporterised Mauser in 6.5x55mm.

Missed a lot of stuff, rabbits etc with the .22 Mag. Usually test shoot it before using it to headshoot farmed deer, and the results were usually worrying. Missed a couple of deer the first time, but the second shot hit the brain both times.

The last time, the accuracy was horrible when test shooting it, and took the bloody torch off. The group at say 80 metres went from 2 1/2 inches to two bullet holes touching AGAIN! Thank goodness, back to normal and the accuracy I need.

I was wondering if anyone else has found this?

The "tactical" (wank) of hanging things off a barrel might be good for imagining clearing out urban buildings of "ninjas" at close range (only joking), but seems to affect accuracy and reliability tremendously on long arms. Makes a lot of sense, hanging stuff off a barrel will affect accuracy a lot.

What do you think? Positive or negative results and experience welcomed.

PS My desire for the torch on the barrel, was for shooting rabbits, hares, foxes, etc when working at night with the tractor, or quad bike. Also for killing pesky foxes quickly if they are calling around the farm at night. I think I will see if it can be mounted on the scope again, like the old full size spotlight.

Tne 6.5x55 is a safe queen at the moment, and not used much, so can't tell if it is affected as well. However it has a much heavier barrel. That rifle is also capable of fantastic accuracy, regular one hole 3-shot groups at a 100 metres.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
FATBOY404
.400 member

Reged: 14/11/09
Loc: QLD
Re: Attaching a torch or light or other stuff to a barrel? [Re: NitroX]
      #191299 - 04/10/11 10:46 PM

With rifles with very little or no recoil mount the torch on the scope.

I thought under 80 yards there wouldn't be that much difference but have not tried it myself.

--------------------
"WHATEVER BLOWS YOUR HAIR BACK"

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Attaching a torch or light or other stuff to a barrel? [Re: FATBOY404]
      #191300 - 04/10/11 10:54 PM

FB404,

Think a about it. We worry a lot about the bedding of the action, barrel etc, maybe free floating it ... then hang a lump of metal off it, it is logical it affects the vibration of the barrel substantially.

So looking for experiences of others, pro or con.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

SAHUNT
Sponsor

Reged: 27/12/04
Loc: Centurion, RSA
      #191309 - 05/10/11 01:08 AM

Anything you attach to the barrel will have a ifluence on the accuracy, because it will interfere with the barrel's natural "whip" or call it movement if you want. One of the reasons we free float a barrel is to mahe sure that a pressure point does not develop as the barrel heats up. On the other han some calibers do need a pressure point to be accurate. Any extra weight, especially a torch will have a negative impact on accuracy.

I agree that it must rather be mounted on the scope. Lightforce have moutings with which you can mount a spoltigt to your scope.

--------------------
Life is how you pass the time between hunting trips.
Sometimes I do not express myself properly in the English language, please forgive me, I am just a boertjie.
Jaco Human
jacohu@mweb.co.za
SA Hunting Experience

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Attaching a torch or light or other stuff to a barrel? [Re: SAHUNT]
      #191317 - 05/10/11 03:26 AM

A 3-position competitor I shot with many years ago, refused to purchase a match rifle or have one made up. He used an old 722 Rem, chambered in .222. That was an 'older' light barreled sporting rifle of years gone by.

Trouble was, it shot as well as any match rifle, primarily due to the "2" long cylinder of lead" he had attached to the barrel with set screws.

Initially, he attached it on the muzzle at first, firing a known accurate load for the rifle, then repositionied, it and shot again, until he accidently achieved even better, 1/4MOA accuracy, which exceeded the rifle's normal barely 1/2moa. In 1973 - 1/4moa consistantly, was BR accuracy, and he got it, not with a Hart or Shilen match-grade barrel, but with a factory Remington lightweight floated barrel with a 'weight' attached which seemed to perfect the barrel's harmonics.

The flashlight can do exactly the same thing - but, you must find where the rifle wants it to be. Will it postively, absolutely work? - maybe.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

JeffK
.275 member

Reged: 06/03/11
Loc: Perth, WA
Re: Attaching a torch or light or other stuff to a barrel? [Re: DarylS]
      #191418 - 07/10/11 12:23 AM

I swapped barrels on my .243 a while back, and didn't notice the scope cover was touching the new barrel whereas it had clearance on the old one. POI shifted some 8" I think, though it was still shooting good groups. Took me a while to figure out what had gone wrong.

Back in the UK, using a moderator on my centrefires, if it wasn't tightly screwed onto the barrel, POI shited and groups went to hell. With it fitted properly, there was still a POI shift compared to shooting without it, but the groups were just as tight.

I would never hang a torch off the barrel - I either use a scope mount for the Lightforce, or hang it off a piece of rail attached to the underside of the stock on my .204, put there for that purpose.

--------------------
Regards, Jeff

Rule303
.416 member

Reged: 05/07/09
Loc: Woodford Qld
      #191813 - 14/10/11 09:28 PM

I was hopeing to be able to give you an answer on this John after Monday and Tuesday but the moon was near full and the Kahles made everything crystal clear, so I did not mount the tourch on my 270.

SAHUNT
Sponsor

Reged: 27/12/04
Loc: Centurion, RSA
      #191816 - 14/10/11 10:34 PM

Daryl, I agree with you if it is a weight that is uniformly spread around the barrel, I did the same with my daughter's target rifle and it works like a charm. But when you hang something from the barrel it changes everything.

--------------------
Life is how you pass the time between hunting trips.
Sometimes I do not express myself properly in the English language, please forgive me, I am just a boertjie.
Jaco Human
jacohu@mweb.co.za
SA Hunting Experience

DarylS
.700 member

Re: Attaching a torch or light or other stuff to a barrel? [Re: SAHUNT]
      #191831 - 15/10/11 02:24 AM

Yes- I can see that, SAHUNT - however changing it's location might help. It takes very little weight or pressure to cause the barrel to vibrate differently or event to actually bend the barrel.

--------------------
Daryl

458Win
.333 member

Reged: 15/12/06
Loc: Alaska
      #192289 - 22/10/11 09:18 AM

I've done it with a number of rifles and it is no big deal to bed a length of Picitinny rail into the forend of your rifle and hang the light off of that. It solves the problem of hanging things on the barrel

--------------------
Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either never used one - or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

FATBOY404
.400 member

Reged: 14/11/09
Loc: QLD
Re: Attaching a torch or light or other stuff to a barrel? [Re: 458Win]
      #192292 - 22/10/11 10:43 AM

That is a great idea mate.

--------------------
"WHATEVER BLOWS YOUR HAIR BACK"

DarylS
.700 member

Re: Attaching a torch or light or other stuff to a barrel? [Re: 458Win]
      #192347 - 23/10/11 03:51 AM

Quote:

I've done it with a number of rifles and it is no big deal to bed a length of Picitinny rail into the forend of your rifle and hang the light off of that. It solves the problem of hanging things on the barrel

HA!- you've a 'way' of presenting your methods through great photo's, Phil.

--------------------
Daryl

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 68 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3715

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com