Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: 10 bore Smoooth rifle?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Paradox and Bore Guns

Pages: 1
TomN
.300 member

Reged: 07/03/10
Loc: washington
10 bore Smoooth rifle?
      #192154 - 20/10/11 03:08 AM

Hi all I found a 10 gage shotgun the other day and though about getting it for a smooth rifle but it didn't have a lock that had the dolls head on the top of the action so I didn't think that it was a good choise. so I am asking is it really nessary or not? the gun is made in spain but I doin't rember by who. the gun is massave and my first though was a 50 90 or 50 140 black powder but it isn't a hammer gun so I though that would not look right then though I could just cut the barrels back and shoot round balls.

Thanks Tom

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
500Nitro
.450 member

Reged: 06/01/03
Loc: Victoria, Australia
Re: 10 bore Smoooth rifle? [Re: TomN]
      #192155 - 20/10/11 03:16 AM

Did it have a hidden third bite (like between the barrels, a la Holland) ?

I wouldn't worry about it not being a hammer gun.

Are you planning on re regulating the barrels ?

TomN
.300 member

Re: 10 bore Smoooth rifle? [Re: 500Nitro]
      #192157 - 20/10/11 03:29 AM

Doin't know about regulating the barrels getting close to retiering and just wanted somethong to play with.

500Nitro
.450 member

Reged: 06/01/03
Loc: Victoria, Australia
      #192161 - 20/10/11 03:48 AM

Just from my experience with Brenneke slugs, some shotguns shoot them well (as in accurately, SxS on the target at good distances, others are not so good.

So before you start you have the luck of the draw.

then add the fact that they are round ball AND that you
are cutting the barrels, I would think that the round balls might not be that accurate.

If all you want to do is make it go bang with a cloud of smoke and throw a lead ball out the other end, it will still do that !!! LOL

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: 10 bore Smoooth rifle? [Re: 500Nitro]
      #192171 - 20/10/11 06:46 AM

There are so many different 'slugs' today, along with so many different handloading choices, it's possible you can get the barrels to shoot just fine, by simply shortening them ot 24" or 26" and mounting iron sights.

The 'doll's head on Spanish shotguns does little to increase saftey of the action. The 'bite's prevent the barrels ovement forward and the doll's head does not prevent the barrels from opening as is shape promotes that. According to Greener, the doll's head was merely a hollow marketing maneuver - sounds logical to me.

With cup-wads ie:the bases or interior bottoms of steel shot wads will hold undersized projectiles centred in the bore upon discharge. I've used this to advantage with lighter round ball loads, ie: 14 bore balls in a 12 bore, with excellent accuracy. This keeps the balls from leading the bores and the wads seal the bore and keep the ball centred.

My double 12 would hold on a 10" steel plate at 100 meters, offhand, alternately firing rights and lefts. I'd mounted a scope for testing ammo and it surely helped if my offhand shooting at that plate. It shot the same without the scope attacked. This was probably due to the low speed of the ammo I was using - 1,500fps max. with black power and smokeless powder.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

TomN
.300 member

Re: 10 bore Smoooth rifle? [Re: DarylS]
      #192180 - 20/10/11 09:06 AM

just went back to the gun shop and looked at the 10 bore it American Arms made in spain looks very heavely biult. I think that I will have to see if I can make a trade they have a lot of stock so may not want to do any trading. Thanks for the taking time to repley.

Tom

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
      #192182 - 20/10/11 10:08 AM

That gun will be fine for a smooth rifle, perhaps a misunderstanding. I was merely saying Spanish Doll's head does little to aid in keeping the gun on face. It will certainly handle anything your shoulder can - in round ball or slug loads.

At safe pressures, you can run 600gr. projectiles out at 1,700fps - probably more - that ought to suffice. It'll sure handle a bear!

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Smoke73
.300 member

Reged: 30/05/11
Loc: Rocky Mtn. House Alberta
Re: 10 bore Smoooth rifle? [Re: DarylS]
      #192194 - 20/10/11 02:22 PM

Thanx for weighing in Daryl you saved me a bunch of typing. Get her bought and keep us in the loop. I've been eyeing a 10 bore myself.

--------------------
Your not tired, you just think your tired, you don't even know what the hell tired is.- Garth Ahlstrom (Thanx Dad love ya)

"When one of them is born, their god says ' Go in peace.'
When one of us is born our Gods say "Go hunting."- J. Emmett Willie

TomN
.300 member

Re: 10 bore Smoooth rifle? [Re: Smoke73]
      #192287 - 22/10/11 08:23 AM

Well tryed to trade for the 10 bore but shop onwer was having none of it and I am not in a poision to shell out 600 + tax oh well mabe next time. Thanks for all the replys

Tom

CommandCar
.333 member

Reged: 18/09/10
Loc: East Coast, USA
      #192366 - 23/10/11 01:12 PM

Tom,

You might keep your eye out for a used Zabala 10 SxS. I see them every once in a while for about half what that shop wants for the AA 10.

TomN
.300 member

Re: 10 bore Smoooth rifle? [Re: CommandCar]
      #192390 - 24/10/11 07:11 AM

Thanks I wil keep an eye out. tryed to trade my 72 kodiak but he would only geve me 500 bills for it so told him no. Also tryed trading a 358 norma mag it have theirs picturs of it on the forms here but he didn't want to go that way eather. so am just out of luck.

TomN

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 18 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  tinker 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3863

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com