Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: NZ moose tale

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Australia, NZ & the South Pacific

Pages: 1
gryphon
.450 member

Reged: 01/01/03
Loc: Sambar ground/Victoria/Austral...
NZ moose tale
      #190893 - 28/09/11 09:49 AM

http://www.hawkesbaytoday.co.nz/news/wild-moose-chase/1116144/

--------------------
Get off the chair away from the desk and get out in the bush and enjoy life.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: NZ moose tale [Re: gryphon]
      #190896 - 28/09/11 10:23 AM

New Zealand? Never heard of moose there before - best or well kept secret?

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

gryphon
.450 member

Re: NZ moose tale [Re: DarylS]
      #190909 - 28/09/11 12:12 PM

Theres a long tale to tell of them Daryl,some great reading on them over the years..I have Tustins book and quite a few others including DB Banwells also.

Its never been a secret at all.

--------------------

CHAPUISARMES
.416 member

Reged: 16/01/08
Loc: DUBBO, NSW, AUSTRALIA
      #190910 - 28/09/11 01:01 PM

Hi Gryphon,

That was a good read, it sounds a bit like the Tarana Tiger / Panther story.. but at least this one has clear photos.

Cheers,

Jeff Gray

gryphon
.450 member

Re: NZ moose tale [Re: CHAPUISARMES]
      #190915 - 28/09/11 03:40 PM

The history of deer liberation in NZ are fascinating reading,some of the heads they shot after a few years were incredible with no hand of man and certainly no wire in those days Jeff

--------------------

eagle27
.400 member

Reged: 24/01/09
Loc: Nelson, New Zealand
      #190926 - 28/09/11 06:30 PM

Yes moose were liberated in NZ firstly in 1900 in the area I was raised in on the West Coast of the South Island. These few survivors from 14 calves brought from Vancouver (most died on the boat to NZ) grew to adults but were rather tame and ended up being shot when making nuisances of themselves in local farm gardens.
A second release was done in 1909 at Dusky Sound in Fiordland. These survived and over the years the odd cow or two were shot by hunters and fisherman in the area but three trophy bulls were shot on licence. The last bull shot was in 1952 by Percy Lyes, a well known deer culler and hunter of that era.

My father was a friend of Percy and his family and as a young boy I remember his trophy hanging on the wall of his mother’s small farmhouse cottage. When sitting below it the ‘bell’ used to dangle on your head. The NZ moose never grew heads anywhere near the size they in Canada.

Later in life I spent three weeks in and around Dusky Sound with 7 other hunting friends looking to see if moose still existed. Another avid moose investigator was the late Ray Tinsley who lived close to me and who spent many a year in Fiordland looking for the elusive moose in the 70’s and 80’s. We gleaned as much information from Ray before departing on our hunt in 1977. Some fisherman claimed to have seen and shot moose in Fiordland around those years and into the early 90’s but none of these reports have ever been substantiated by photo’s or reliable witnesses. Ray sent some hair and photos of footprints to Canada and these were confirmed as being from moose. We found some extremely high browsing on trees, higher than any of us have experienced from regions containing red deer or wapiti, but alas no sightings. Our trip was fairly elaborate using a chopper to lift in two alloy boats and we burned up a lot of fuel boating from bay to bay in the huge Dusky Sound area and bush stalking to see what we could find.

For those interested “Call of the Moose” by Ray Tinsley and “The Hunting Tales of Percy Lyes” by Hans Willems and great reads and photos on the subject of red deer, wapiti and moose hunting in NZ.

A few oldies of our venture:

gryphon
.450 member

Re: NZ moose tale [Re: eagle27]
      #190928 - 28/09/11 07:28 PM

What a grand adventure you had down there eagle27,I can only imagine the rain and sand flies too!

I have both books you mentioned also and have a real yearning for any of that history your way.

--------------------

eagle27
.400 member

Reged: 24/01/09
Loc: Nelson, New Zealand
      #190930 - 28/09/11 08:22 PM

Quote:

What a grand adventure you had down there eagle27,I can only imagine the rain and sand flies too!

I have both books you mentioned also and have a real yearning for any of that history your way.

Was a great trip, sandflies yes but believe it or not no rain for the whole 3 weeks, just nice warm shorts and tee shirt weather. We actually split into two teams of four camping in different areas with two from each team flying in by float plane with as much gear as we could fit in the Cessna. Pretty hairy stuff with stall warning bleeping more often than not. We setup our sites and waited for our boats to motor in the next day, just using the chopper to lift over a mountain pass into a fiord arm that finally accessed Dusky Sound itself. Last photo was me crossing high above a creek on an old Forest Service wire bridge. Probably banned now for health and safety reasons. I think I would struggle to emulate that feat now especially with a 90lb pack and a 10lb 26" barreled magnum slung on board

Smoke73
.300 member

Reged: 30/05/11
Loc: Rocky Mtn. House Alberta
Re: NZ moose tale [Re: eagle27]
      #190938 - 29/09/11 12:11 AM

Funny thing about the article is the controversy over the bull grazing on grass when they only forage on trees. I've yet to see a moose in Alberta pass up a hay field or even a hay bale for tree leaves.

--------------------
Your not tired, you just think your tired, you don't even know what the hell tired is.- Garth Ahlstrom (Thanx Dad love ya)

"When one of them is born, their god says ' Go in peace.'
When one of us is born our Gods say "Go hunting."- J. Emmett Willie

gryphon
.450 member

Re: NZ moose tale [Re: Smoke73]
      #190964 - 29/09/11 09:12 AM

I haven't been down to F/land prob left my run too late but I have always wanted to hunt there even just to take pics for the scenery.
I`m glad you documented those boat lifts,thats good.

--------------------

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #191062 - 30/09/11 06:04 PM

eagle27,

What an adventure you had searching for the "long lost moose" back in the 70's.

Thanks for posting the story and photos of your search.

It would be fantastic if moose were still wandering NZ's Fiordland, but alas probably of the past today.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: NZ moose tale [Re: NitroX]
      #191063 - 30/09/11 06:08 PM

So the story stays in our "archives" if the link ever is lost.

Wild moose chase: face to face with NZ moose

Lindy Laird | Tuesday, September 27, 2011 10:29

The best shot of a moose in Fiordland was taken on Fred's 35mm Agfa Super Sillette. Photo / Fred Stewardson

Hunter Fred Stewardson liked to get a decent trophy in his sights but the best shot he ever took was with his camera.

That was nearly 60 years ago, the day Fred and his mate came face to face with three moose in deep, dark Fiordland.

Fred says the two men almost smacked into the trio of moose - a cow, bull and calf - in a clearing by a river.

"We never stalked the moose, just stumbled across them."

His cobber hissed "don't shoot... photos, photos!"

Back in the April of 1953, 21-year-old Fred, off an Otago farm, was as keen on photography as hunting. He remembers his hands shaking as he got his trusty 35mm Agfa Super Sillette from its leather case and fumbling as he set up his telescopic lens. He got several photos of the three enigmatic animals and they're pure gold, say the moose-brigade. Fred and his hunting mentor Eddie Young hadn't been on a wild moose chase. They'd been dropped off by a charter boat from Port Chalmers in the remote upper reaches of Wet Jacket Arm and were after red deer, wapiti maybe. "It was a shocking place, and I didn't like it," Fred recalls. "You've never seen anything like it... the rain, mud and mosquitoes as big as your thumb. In two weeks we had half a day of sunshine."

So there they were this day, in the dense, dripping, primeval forest and coming into riverbank area that had been heavily chewed out by red deer. Fred was so scared of getting lost he "stuck to Eddie like a little terrier" and they were only a few steps apart when they looked up saw not deer, but moose.

"I couldn't believe my eyes," Fred says.

The large animals - the calf the size of an adult red deer - didn't become immediately alarmed.

"They didn't even know we were there. We had cover from the noise of the river and the wind must have been in our favour, too."

After a few minutes the animals got skittish and took off, and Fred's photos show them splashing their way across the river.

He remembers Eddie telling him to keep his mouth shut and not tell a soul what they'd seen.

"'If you do'," Eddie warned, 'Fiordland will have loads of trigger-happy clowns out for the slaughter who won't give a damn if moose survive or not'."

Eddie died long ago. Fred isn't too chipper these days either which is why, after nearly 60 years, he's pulled his old photos out of the mists of time. "If I croak the story's gone forever," he says.

Fred's photos are a bit faded but New Zealand's top moose "hunter", Ken Tustin, says they are the best shots he's seen of live moose in the remote southwest.

Tustin should know; he has triggered literally thousands of camera shots trying to snap a descendant of the 10 moose liberated in the area in 1910. Since the 1970s he has surveyed the region extensively, written books, made documentaries and championed the existence of those lost Fiordland moose.

Their history, mystery and mythical elusiveness have fired up hunters for over 100 years. In a handful of photos of these large, unusual beasts taken between 1910 and 1950 most were dead with a triumphant hunter posing beside them. Fred's was only the ninth "live moose photo event" since 1923.

Those first imported moose didn't produce a sustainable population. But Tustin is sure there is a small population there, in that deeply inaccessible place. He hasn't seen one, hasn't caught one off camera, but only a week ago he saw fresh moose sign, including a recently cast antler.

Tustin is disappointed Fred's photos came to him too late to be included in his latest book, published last year, A (Nearly) Complete History of Moose in New Zealand. "Fred's photos knocked my socks off," he says.

It was one of the last sightings of moose in Fiordland until 1971 when, a story surfaced of a moose being shot. A year later Tustin led a Forest Research Institute survey to Dusky Sound and Wet Jacket Arm. After a 70-day search he concluded there was enough fresh sign to indicate a small number of moose survived. But Tustin's report wasn't considered definitive.

Some years later he and his wife Marg went back to film their doco A Wild Moose Hunt, watched by over 600,000 people when it screened in 1998.

When interviewed, Tustin had just returned to his Otago home after a "pick-up" of cards and a camera battery change from a set of remote self-triggering cameras on deer-trails in the Fiordland bush.

He'd pored over 2500 photos, mainly of red deer and not one moose. But he did find sign of them - "on the other side of the tree," he quips.

"The hope is that a moose will take a photo of itself for us. This is the best way, we believe, since stalking and carrying hand-held camera equipment is just so difficult in the wet, the mud, the heavy forest... let alone getting close to an alert, extremely rare wild animal at home and on the point of bolting. That's what makes Fred's amazing photos just so special."

Some people, who themselves have never seen, shot or photographed moose, are dismissive. Sceptics say the grassy clearing where Fred's moose were "shot" is not in Fiordland, that moose graze on trees not grass and that they don't live in family groups.

But 1953 was known as a tough year when food was severely compromised by untold thousands of red deer, Tustin says. And March/April is rutting season, when a bull is likely to find a cow with last year's calf still at foot. As for the photo that shows the bull apparently grazing, a Canadian expert says the dipped head is not feeding but a sign the animal has become agitated. He described the moose as being in good nick, with "well rounded backsides", the male young but mature, probably about 4-years-old.

Fred long ago left the southern mountains he loved and moved north to hunt game fish instead.

He can't go far from his Hikurangi farmlet these days. As for the wild moose chase, "if they're there, let them be. They're not pests, they're not hurting the place."

He's just happy his faded photos have seen the light of day and are now part of a New Zealand wildlife story of grand proportions.

http://www.hawkesbaytoday.co.nz/news/wild-moose-chase/1116144/

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: NZ moose tale [Re: NitroX]
      #191094 - 01/10/11 01:46 AM

If there's still moose there, the river is the way to find them, along with calling during the rut - quite easy if there are any around and the tracks weil show where they are. The tracks are easily distinguishable from red deer or elk. A quite pointed hoof print that's 6" to 9" long makes quite a mark in all that mud spoken about in the text.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 18 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4353

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com