Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Some beautiful South African rifles

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Big Bore Rifles

Pages: 1
mehulkamdar
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/04
Loc: State of Ill-Annoy USA.
Some beautiful South African rifles
      #19074 - 08/09/04 03:09 PM

http://www.primasel.co.za/

As an old timer I like old fashioned guns and I ran across this site by accident. I wonder if any of the South African members here would know anything about this company?

Good hunting!

--------------------
The Ark was made by amateurs. Experts built the Titanic.

Mehul Kamdar

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
AdamTayler
.375 member

Reged: 22/03/04
Loc: B.C.
Re: Some beautiful South African rifles [Re: mehulkamdar]
      #19077 - 08/09/04 03:43 PM

Mehulkamdar

Do you know if Musgrave rifles are still being produced in South Africa? They are built on a mauser action and I hear good things about them. Has anyone had any experience with one?

--------------------
It's the journey, not the destination.

ALF
.275 member

Reged: 21/11/03
Loc: Out of Africa
Re: Some beautiful South African rifles [Re: AdamTayler]
      #19079 - 08/09/04 04:11 PM

Adam:

Musgrave as an entity no longer exists. Kalahari arms in Pretoria bought over a lot of their stock in the form of actions and barrels and are building in house rifles on Musgrave parts.

Vektor in Pretoria has taken over the role of the former Musgrave and are producing rifles similar to the old Musgraves. What is inetresting is that the old Lyttleton enginering produced the Musgrave actions and that whole operation is now centered at Vektor.

As to these rifles produced in the RSA. I do not know if anyone noticed but the actions are in fact Mauser 93 actions and not 98 actions. This is true to the period rifles used in the Boer War. These rifles are accurate reproductions of the orginal "pleasure mausers" of the time.

mehulkamdar
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/04
Loc: State of Ill-Annoy USA.
Re: Some beautiful South African rifles [Re: AdamTayler]
      #19083 - 08/09/04 09:02 PM

Adam Tayler,

ALF is an acknowledged expert on guns and I am just a learning amateur. I would request him to tell us about the Truvelo company and it's rifles. I presume the SOouth African defence industries are in a process of consolidation and that is why all these mergers etc have taken place?

I have some electronic catalogues of new actions made by Truvelo in South Africa which I could send you if you like. They have a standard action that can be used for cartridges upto 9.3x62, a Magnum action that can take .375 H&H to 505 Gibbs and a Mammoth action for 577 Tyrannosaur and similar monsters. Their website lists bolt action as well as falling block rifles but has no details at all.

Best wishes and good hunting!

ALF,

Thanks in advance for your views.

Yes, the Primasel rifles are beautiful reproductions of grand old guns. Wish I could afford to buy one!

--------------------
The Ark was made by amateurs. Experts built the Titanic.

Mehul Kamdar

Ndumo
.300 member

Reged: 21/12/03
Loc: Namibia
Re: Some beautiful South African rifles [Re: ALF]
      #19373 - 23/09/04 07:03 AM

ALF
Musgrave has never made hunting rifles on the Mauser 93 action, only some custom and commemorative/collectables. They used mostly Mauser 98 actions, and used a few of their own design/ LIW design, of which the mod. 80, 83, and 90 where the most known. They also made rifles on modified RSA target rifle actions, the originals called the President-, Vrystaat- and Veld Models. These where made late '70 to early '80s if my memory serves me right. They also made a Mod2000 action on a simmilar action, just before closing down in '96. I personally do not like the Truvelo company too much, as I had a lot of problems with their barrels. I insist on Vektor replacement barrels, and also own a rifle (.450 Rigby) on Vektor's copy of the Mauser magnum double square bridge action.

--------------------
Karl Stumpfe
Ndumo Hunting Safaris (Pty) Ltd.
karl@huntingsafaris.net
www.huntingsafaris.net
+264 811 285 416

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 42 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3546

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com