Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: a true story i thought to share

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1
chrispie
.275 member

Reged: 30/01/04
Loc: New England, USA
a true story i thought to share
      #19058 - 07/09/04 01:07 PM

I must tell of this stories, this last Friday I meet my father to discuses plans about going over seas, he mentioned to me of a friend of his that works in a bank, was forecloseing on a English mans home and was auctioning off this entire estate, this banker went to the action were be won a number of bids. One of which was a lot of 5 Holland & Holland rifles, 3 were doubles and 2 were bolt action, my father does not hunt or shot so he asked me about these guns, I almost shit myself. I asked him what he paid for the lot, this banker ( who does not hunt ) was the only one who bid for them, he won 5 H&H for $5000.00 total. I think my heart stopped for a second. I told my dad when he see’s him on Monday , to ask if he wouldn’t mind selling one of the doubles, well I meet my father tonight to hear the out come, this really bright banker called up a local gun shop on Saturday to ask about these guns, this gun shop in RI. Jumped at the chance he asked him what he paid for them when he heard only 5k for the lot he asked to see them, of course he drove to the man house and gave the banker 20k for the lot. My father said this banker was sooooooo happy that he made 15k, I was laughing sooooo hard, I being of good sport looked up a bunch of H&H online and printed up what they go for so as my father can give it to him. Good to see honest gun shop in RI are still around. Well keep your eyes up, you’ll probably see them for sale.
I laugh very time I think of someone buy 5 Holland’s for 5k and selling them the next day for 20k, without doing any research on them.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
GG375
.333 member

Reged: 27/02/04
Loc: Brisbane
Re: a true story i thought to share [Re: chrispie]
      #19063 - 07/09/04 04:51 PM

Laugh???????? Bloody well cry more like !!

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #19067 - 07/09/04 11:34 PM

It only happens to other people.

The banker can now buy one for the "price" of five.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

FourTails
.224 member

Reged: 07/01/04
Re: a true story i thought to share [Re: NitroX]
      #19071 - 08/09/04 01:17 AM

A great deal for the gun dealer for sure. I can't help but be saddened by the event nontheless. First, the man has lost his home. And second, for his prized guns to be sold for peanuts. If deceased he's turning over in his eternal resting place, and if not, he has my sympathizes for the loss. On the other hand, at least HE got to handle, admire and shoot them whereas I only dream of them. Welcome to Mikey's phylosophical corner this morn.

Gibbs505
.333 member

Reged: 09/08/03
Loc: BC, Canada
Re: a true story i thought to share [Re: FourTails]
      #19073 - 08/09/04 02:26 PM

Why didn't the guy put them up for sale in the first place???

Must be more to this story then on the surface!!

--------------------
So I can't spell, so what?

Those who beat their swords into ploughshares, will plough for those who don't!

Those who fail to learn from history will be doomed to repeat it

chrispie
.275 member

Re: a true story i thought to share [Re: Gibbs505]
      #19087 - 09/09/04 04:40 AM

from talking to my father, the owner had died, and his kids were in financial distress, the bank repo'd the home and its belongings, it was advertized in a very small clipping in the boston globe paper, listing the auction, this guy who was the only one to bid on the guns new nothing about firearms. why doesn't it happen to me. besides the news and sports I now also read the classified section of the paper.

chrispie
.275 member

#19144 - 12/09/04 06:16 AM

UPDATE:

after looking at my printouts, he himself went online and looked up what he had, he found one that was similar to the one he has, oops had, found in holland and hollands gun room that listed at 85k, i was told that all 5 guns were in mint condition, two of the doubles were big bore too. he has been trying to contact the dealer many time with nooooo respose from this man. (lol, i can't help but laugh ) i guess he spoke with the banks laywer and i think he has a certain amoumt of day to get them back because it was a dealer and not a private sale. something like that , i'm not sure, but i'll find out more through my father.
personaly i think he'll never see them again. i bet he's learned not to rush into anything again without doing some kind of research first.

mickey
.416 member

Reged: 05/01/03
Loc: Pend Oreille Valley, Idaho
      #19145 - 12/09/04 09:24 AM

Well, at least he was a banker, instead of a human being or something.

--------------------
Lovu Zdar
Mick

A Man of Pleasure, Enterprise, Wit and Spirit Rare Books, Big Game Hunting, English Rifles, Fishing, Explosives, Chauvinism, Insensitivity, Public Drunkenness and Sloth, Champion of Lost and Unpopular Causes.

RobertD
.275 member

Reged: 16/11/03
Loc: East Bay, CA, USA
Re: a true story i thought to share [Re: FourTails]
      #19152 - 12/09/04 11:38 AM

Four Tails, you hit ir right on the head.

The moral of the story here is that you can't take them with you. For all his valuable belongings, he didn't plan much for the disposal of his estate.

Even his kids lost on this one.

But, the banker, now that is funny. Real funny!

RobertD

--------------------
NRA Life Member
CRPA Life Member
SCI Golden Gate Member

"Time is never found, if you want time for something, you have to make it."

Hobie
.224 member

Reged: 15/01/04
Loc: Staunton, VA, USA
      #19232 - 15/09/04 05:06 AM

Very sad for the family. I see this at least once a month. Father, usually, has collected some rare, quality stuff (firearms, militaria) or worse yet there are some priceless family heirlooms which are lost in foreclosure, settling the estate or some such.

I don't know if you guys have storage businesses but that is a prime hunting ground here. People will inherit, or combine households and put the "excess" in storage. They then forget or neglect to pay their storage fees. After the legal time limit the storage facility auctions off the contents of "their" area to pay off the fees. I know several fellows who bought $20,000 worth of stuff for $100. Worse, to my thinking, is that all the family stuff is gone forever.

--------------------
Sincerely,

Hobie
"Duty is the rent we pay for life." The Queen Mother
116th Infantry Regiment "The Stonewall Brigade"

M82A1Barret50Cal
.275 member

Reged: 12/04/04
Loc: ACT, Australia
Re: a true story i thought to share [Re: Hobie]
      #19459 - 27/09/04 12:39 PM

Wh-Wh-WHAT! That must be over 100k worth of H&H firearms!!! I will have to look into some of these auctions here in Aus and see if I can pick myself up something nice, even if it won't be a gun due to regulations on the sales of guns here in Aus, although I might be lucky when it comes to a deceased estate...

M82A1

chrispie
.275 member

Re: a true story i thought to share [Re: M82A1Barret50Cal]
      #19527 - 29/09/04 08:57 AM

Update:
Well, he now has lawyers involved; he had the lawyer give a close estimate on the value of these rifles from there grades, caliber, and condition. He came up with an estimated 385k, the lawyer has got the police involved due to the fact that the gun shop has not been responding back, supposedly he will be able to get them back because it was a sale to a gun shop and he had a few days to get them back.( even though his guy has not been answering his calls) If it had been sold to a private individual he’d be out of luck. Also if this gun shop had given him approximately half of the value, he’d be out of luck. So the lawyer notified the police of these gun, and marked the serial # as stolen, so as to stop him from selling them, ( if he doe’s he’ll lose his FFL, and be put on trial for selling guns marked stolen ) until all the proper court orders are followed.

seroadglide
.275 member

Reged: 06/05/04
Loc: West Tenn., USA
      #19537 - 29/09/04 01:12 PM

Ah yes, bring out the lawyers.

I am sure he is only doing that so that he can give the people HE bought them from a bigger payment. Funny how some SOBs can give it all day, but they sure do squeal when taking it.

Douglas Mays

chrispie
.275 member

Re: a true story i thought to share [Re: seroadglide]
      #19569 - 01/10/04 08:32 AM

That’s what’s wrong with society today, everyone has a lawyer.
Personally I feel ( you made your bed know lay in it ) he was the idiot that didn’t research it in the first place, and hell he made 15k for doing nothing. I'v been following its updates through my father, I'm just want to see how it ends.

chrispie
.275 member

#19570 - 01/10/04 08:44 AM

Sitting here now, I feel I probably should have never given the printouts of what Holland goes for to my dad. And everyone would be happy, the banker with a 15k profit and the gun shop with a 350k profit.
I guess I felt disgusted over the stupidity in oneself, and want him to see what an ass he was for not researching it over.

what would you do? would you have told him?

seroadglide
.275 member

Reged: 06/05/04
Loc: West Tenn., USA
      #19571 - 01/10/04 11:18 AM

It is hard to say exactly what I would do as I do not know the individual(s). A lot would depend on whether I liked them/him or not.

I know what would have crossed my mind first: "Why wasn't I at that auction with a wad of money?"

If he was still in posession of them when I found out, and I liked him, I would have tried to assist him. At the least I would have pointed him in a direction to find "real" prices/values.

If I didn't like him, I might have tried to buy them myself.

As I read back over this I realize it does not follow the golden rule. I fall short at times. One thing is for sure, were I the dealer, it is unlikely he would get them back irregardless of what a "justice" might say.

As for him seeing what an ass he is or was, he is doing a fine job of showing everyone through his actions.

Douglas Mays

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 110 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3825

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com