Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Benelli R1 rifle

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Rifles

Pages: 1
szihn
.400 member

Reged: 24/06/07
Loc: Wind River Valley, Wyoming
Benelli R1 rifle
      #189884 - 14/09/11 02:25 AM

Well guys, I ended up with a brand new R1 in a trade. It's chambered in 270 WSM.
It's very finicky as to what ammo it likes. I tried 150 grain Winchester factory loads first and it shoots "about full choke". (Really bad)
I was getting 5-6 inch groups at 100 yards over a rest.
So I tried hand loads.
I used 160 150 140 and 130 grain bullets. All my loads were just "so-so" except for 2 loads with the Nosler 160 grain and the Speer 150 grain Grand Slam bullets. In both loads I used near max loads of h1000 powder.
The Nosler 160 grains bullet hold 1.375" in ever case and a few went as small as 1.1 inches. All groups were 4 shots each which is what the rifle holds when fully loaded.

The Speer 150 grain Grand slams were even better but only a little bit. They stay inside 1.25" every time and they will come close to MOA now and then.

So the rifle can be accurate IF you feed it what it likes

In ever case that I tried AA3100, H4831, IMR 4350 and 7828 powders, and with every other bullet I tried regardless of brand and weight the rifle would do no better then 2.75" and some loads went over 3"

I have a friend in Reno who owns an R1 in 30-06 and he shoots only factory ammo. He told me that he tried 7 different loads before he found one that shot well, but with Hornady 165 grain loads he's getting about MOA

So I believe these rifles are well made and can be accurate, but they are not forgiving as to what they shoot well.

I'd love to get feedback from the readers if they have any experience with the Benelli R1 Rifles in any caliber.

I believe Benelli is missing the boat not offering this rifle in the standard 270 Winchester, and the also should consider importing the ones they make in 9.3X62 to the USA.
It would help their sales too if they would make the R1 in 7-08.

So men, tell me your thoughts and experiences with this rifle.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
szihn
.400 member

Re: Benelli R1 rifle [Re: szihn]
      #190250 - 20/09/11 01:04 AM

Wow, I am surprised.

Out of 81 other viewers and readers, not one man here has ever shot an R-1 or seen anyone shoot an R1?

I am amazed.

smicha6551
.275 member

Reged: 09/08/05
Loc: NYC & Kuwait
Re: Benelli R1 rifle [Re: szihn]
      #190396 - 21/09/11 09:29 PM

I handled one briefly at the NRA convention, and also at my dealer - it felt OK but nothing to make me run out and get one. I asked Benelli if they would be making them in .338, and they said at the time they weren't going to, so that ended my interest. I would have gone for one in 9.3x62, but considering the poor accuracy you're reporting, I think I'll pass.

szihn
.400 member

Re: Benelli R1 rifle [Re: smicha6551]
      #190405 - 22/09/11 01:15 AM

smicha, the R-1 is now available in 338, but so is the Browning BAR. The BAR is tried and true.
It seems that the R-1 can be accurate, but they are finicky as to what they like to shoot well. The BAR can be had with the BOSS system and can be tuned to shoot well with most ammo.
So for the price and the features, I'd probably have to recommend the BAR over the R-1. The only advantage I can see with the R-1 is that it is lighter. But the BAR is not overly heavy either, so it's a find rifle and I know very few men or women that own one that have said anything bad about them.

I do like my R-1, but I am a gunsmith and I have lots of experience with hand loaded ammo, so I was able to find loads that were acceptable accurate in a few hours of load development. For hunters who are not hand loaders, and those that don’t have time or facilities to work up loads, I’d still be force to recommend the Browning over the Benelli.
The BARs can be had in may other calibers. They have the BOSS available, and you can get every version in left hand.. The stocks can be shortened to fit shorter shooters. They are generally accurate. Benelli has some stiff competition from Browning. That’s for sure!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 60 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2899

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com