Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: My Stag

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Europe

Pages: 1
93mouse
.375 member

Reged: 17/08/07
Loc: Slovenia
My Stag
      #190296 - 20/09/11 06:41 PM

It all started in August already. I was scouting the area geting used to whereabouts of the reds. Pretty casual, easy going with iron sighted double I was visiting their favourite points.

My parts

Stags whereabouts

Once I found some promisable signs

The gloves were off - scoped R93 in 9,3x62 and 230gr GS HV custom's, doing 2550fps was brought up

and an exhausting game of seek and hide began...stag was staying on this ridge during the day. Well protected with usual wind from its behind overlooking slope below with a handy thickets few steps away - a true fort.

There were times when my Boy was making me company...

Lots of other game crossed my path (bear cub):

...and days were draging into eternity...hunting became a pilgrimage - humdrum life.

Yet it came September and with it a rut time. Ah - love - love has been the bane of his life, hind has been his undoing.

Rut began rather early this year - perhaps due a long drought during August...anyway I heard it first on September the 3rd.

A young stag enraged Him and He followed into a big walley nearby. Weather was pretty warm - even during moonlighted nights but rut was incredible...

I was close, realy close a couple of times but the wind and young stags were keeping him safe...

Some other respective heads were taken by my mates

And the quota was drying out - only 1 stag left...

Then came the Sunday the 18th. Warm weather was about to change late in the night.
In the Morning the whole lot of main stag with hinds and 2 side stags moved up the near hill and stay in the thickets. Rut was heard well into daylight (8.45 am).
During the day a couple of showers hit us - just to wet grounds and make stalking possible.

Along with my friend we rushed the before mentioned hill. When we peeked over first ridge at 5.00 pm all 3 Stags were already roaring. We pushed hard almost to the top, just under the thicket that covered the top of the hill.
Stag was close - realy close some 100m above us. My friend stayed behind some rocks while I cheated another 15m to observe the edge of the thicket. Bloody squirrel jumped out - causing a minor stroke I admit...then he moved. Strange - he was alone - limping badly still keeping himself just inside the thickets so I had a hard time looking for a smallest openings to squeeze a bullet through. At one moment I was already squeezing already light trigger on my R93 when he moved further on...at the next dormer I was ready. Cross just behind the shoulder - he was going away already and a mild shove to my shoulder that followed a loud BOOM froze the moment. He marked well - high jump and a tucked in hind legs confirmed the hit...then a mad run and out of the sight.

After couple of minutes we climbed to the spot he was at the time of the shot. Blood was there alright - frothy one - from the lungs...

...he took a straight, level cross the slope...bleeding and meandering...shot was taking its tole

Still after 100m or so the trail was beginning tu turn uphill...additional care was taken - wasn't needed - he was dead on his back a couple of meters ahead...Bullet passed from entry behind its left shoulder to exit on its right shoulder.

then the first drops of rain fell...

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Ben
.400 member

Reged: 22/08/08
Loc: Northern Territory, Australia
Re: My Stag [Re: 93mouse]
      #190297 - 20/09/11 07:39 PM

That is so awesome! You have beautiful country, and magnificent game! Well-done, and thanks for sharing!

alexbeer
.333 member

Reged: 10/04/08
Loc: Tasmania, Australia
Re: My Stag [Re: Ben]
      #190304 - 20/09/11 08:26 PM

Mouse, that is a magnificent stag, and what a season you had too. Beautiful country and a great story.

Very well done indeed, Congratulations.

Best
ALEX

--------------------

Details matter!

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: My Stag [Re: alexbeer]
      #190307 - 20/09/11 08:35 PM

Mouse

What a magnificent stag. Congratulations.

I also really enjoy reading about and seeing the photos of your hunting in Slovenia. Beautiful country.

And love the variety of game too. Finding bear tracks when hunting deer, is like encountering lion, leopard or elephant tracks when hunting zebra in Africa!

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

93mouse
.375 member

Re: My Stag [Re: NitroX]
      #190312 - 20/09/11 09:09 PM

Gentlemen thank you - the privilege and joy is all mine. I wish I could use my Merkel but without optics the above wouldn't be possible.

9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
      #190321 - 21/09/11 12:32 AM

93; Wonderful bull and what a dandy!

I always muchly enjoy your threads. So similar to the country here, and yet different. Fascinating!

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: My Stag [Re: 9.3x57]
      #190323 - 21/09/11 01:05 AM

Beautiful - very well told, Thank you.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Buchsemann
.333 member

Reged: 12/12/08
Loc: Wisconsin, USA
Re: My Stag [Re: DarylS]
      #190505 - 23/09/11 02:22 AM

Mouse,

Thank you for sharing a very nice account of your search for what turned out to be a truly magnificent stag. I could almost feel myself walking along with you. Great pictures as well, of a beautiful country and experience.

Congratulations!

Buchseman

--------------------
Happy the man, and happy he alone,
He who can call today his own:
He who, secure within, can say,
Tomorrow do thy worst, for I have lived today.

- John Dryden

93mouse
.375 member

Re: My Stag [Re: Buchsemann]
      #191268 - 04/10/11 06:37 PM

Thank you guys - here is a pic of "grandeln":

Sville
.400 member

Reged: 23/03/10
Loc: Sweden
      #191269 - 04/10/11 06:41 PM

Really exciting to read this, I felt that I was with you!!!! Beautiful stag! /Staffan

FATBOY404
.400 member

Reged: 14/11/09
Loc: QLD
Re: My Stag [Re: Sville]
      #191274 - 04/10/11 08:26 PM

Missed this one.

Very well done mate.

Such contrast to my hunting country. Love the photo's and nice stag.

--------------------
"WHATEVER BLOWS YOUR HAIR BACK"

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 21 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3415

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com