Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Hypothetical question

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1
mehulkamdar
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/04
Loc: State of Ill-Annoy USA.
Hypothetical question
      #189181 - 04/09/11 08:08 AM

How much should engraving by a "name" engraver add to the value of a double rifle? 30%? More? The rifle in question is a 470 NE double built by a well known Italian gunmaker.

--------------------
The Ark was made by amateurs. Experts built the Titanic.

Mehul Kamdar

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
tophet1
.400 member

Reged: 15/09/07
Loc: NSW, Australia
Re: Hypothetical question [Re: mehulkamdar]
      #189188 - 04/09/11 08:51 AM

That's a good question.

I don't know much about doubles or anything on how to appraise them. (I have seen engraving I like and engraving I didn't).

I would also like to know how much of the value do you put on the aesthetic appeal ? I'm sure there are members here who can answer both questions.

500Nitro
.450 member

Reged: 06/01/03
Loc: Victoria, Australia
Re: Hypothetical question [Re: tophet1]
      #189197 - 04/09/11 02:25 PM

I think a couple of things come into play with the "name".

Did the "name" make the rifle or only name it ?
Did the nam finish it and name it ?

ie ie all the Webley actions - so is a Webley Screw Grip Sidelock Double rifle with Rigby on it worth more than than a beter conditioned Webley and Scott ?

kamilaroi
.400 member

Reged: 18/12/04
Loc: sydney, new south wales, Austr...
Re: Hypothetical question [Re: 500Nitro]
      #189206 - 04/09/11 05:25 PM

The maker, build quality and action used can be complimented greatly by quality engraving.

I'd imagine that a best quality piece engraved by Harry Kell or his Continental equivalent in the 20s-30s would bring top dollar plus, maybe plus 15%.

Rember that in past times the best engravers were principally working for Jewellers and watchmakers.

For the gun trade engraving was the least renumerated trade and usually done by outworkers, thus what you see is what you get (the tiger/big pussycat syndrome).

More recent pieces from the 70's when engraving drew a more informed audience then maybe 25% or more.

For boxlocks then maybe 10% absolute tops. (unless maybe a WR)

Currently a ne plus ultra Piotti with a top name that complimented the piece then maybe 33%.

But this is drawing a broad brush. Horses for courses.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Hypothetical question [Re: kamilaroi]
      #189798 - 12/09/11 09:33 PM

In my limited experience of engraving there is a difference between "value" and "purchase price".

The value is in the eyes of the purchaser.

Purchase price especially a new firearm will reflect the cost of the engraving, which can add substantially to the purchase price considerably.

Vintage rifles values reflects the rifle, brand, amount and quality of the engraving etc, and of course supply and demand ie the market.

Personally for me, the more engraving the more I can't afford the firearm. The reason I go for plainer rifles, even if I like quality engraving.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

mehulkamdar
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/04
Loc: State of Ill-Annoy USA.
Re: Hypothetical question [Re: NitroX]
      #190875 - 28/09/11 03:29 AM

Thank you everyone who replied, and John in particular for the advice and suggestions both here and on Facebook. The rifle is an older Beretta. I am thinking of giving myself a gift, hence the question. I shall decide soon - Christmas is the deadline!

Good hunting, everyone!

--------------------
The Ark was made by amateurs. Experts built the Titanic.

Mehul Kamdar

zimhunter
.333 member

Reged: 05/02/04
Loc: Southern Arizona
Re: Hypothetical question [Re: mehulkamdar]
      #191056 - 30/09/11 04:36 PM

I would think especially in the case of an Italian gun you could check the price list of say a Beretta ASE and then check an SO5 or SO6 and since they are basically the same gun except for ornamentation you would have SOME idea. Or an old Colt catalog and price a single action then price 'C' engraving for it. Should give you some idea of the markup. A Browning B25 and a Midas grade are priced because of the ornamentation. I have a Grade VI Lightning and the only difference between it and the standard grade is the ornamentation. They are both Citori's and have about the same wood. The engraving is nice but not what I would call great by any means. The B25's usually have the engraving signed as does most of the high grade Berettas I have handled. My ASE was totally plain with only a border.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 84 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3182

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com